The Mariinsky - booking and casting discussion 2017

The ROH will swap one Mariinsky ticket for any other Mariinsky at a £2 charge but you can't do that until public booking has opened.

Don't think I want to swap any, the only dancer I don't know is Renata Shakirova in Don Q, booked that for my birthday so want to go on that date, she looks nice in photos and is dancing with Shklyarov!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There *are* special conditions attached to external companies: you can only exchange for another performance by that company.

Thanks to MAB: I don't usually bother with the Mariinsky Swan Lake, but since there were still some decent standing tickets available I've grabbed one to see what Parish is like in the role.

Oh, and I'm not going to identify them for fear of someone changing things, but I've spotted a few seats which (while still way out of my price range) are actually rather good value by Hochhauser standards :)

Is it just me ... or does these listing just not rev up the motors of excitement somehow.

Could this be the first year when the season was not sold clean?  I suspect not.  The tourists will come to the fore I'm sure.

One thing is certain ... MUCH more excitement to be had in the RB listings.  T'was not always the case methinks.  

• Like 1

I booked tickets today on the Hochhausers advance system. Unfortunately the booking link took you straight through to ticket purchase and I didn't realise any casting has been announced! My Facebook request on the Hochhauser page for advance casting info. obviously paid off and I didn't realise it! I booked a ticket for all the Don Qs and Bayaderes (so I'm already on my overdraft!) I definitely want to see Kimin Kim who is opening both ballets and I'll probably keep the Bayadere tickets as I adore it and haven't seen it recently and the Mariinsky Corps in the Kingdom of Shades is usually to die for.

However, I might trade in 1 or 2 of the Don Qs as I'd like to see Xander parish in Swan lake. Any idea as to which may be best to exchange? I don't know Batoeva or Stepin on the Tuesday. Does anyone know anything about them? I'd probably like to see Shklyavov though I don't know Shakirova (does anybody know about her?)  and I'll see Shklyavov in Bayadere with Batoeva. Also the Saturday 5th August matinee does anyone know anything about Yevseyeva and Yermakov? However, I'd quite like to see Anastasia Matvienko in the evening (even if she isn't dancing with Denis) Does anyone know anything about Askerov?

Finally,  if I go to see Xander in Swan lake does anyone know anything about his partners; Skorik on the opening SL night and Chebykina on Tues 1st August? Any preferences at all as I don't know either? Sorry about all this but lack of dvds, cinema broadcasts and not as many visits means I don't know the current Mariinsky well at all. Many thanks

Kondaurova, Osmolkina (who has danced the role with RB) and Tereshkina are outstanding.  I haven't seen Matvienko in the role but imagine she would be good.  As for princes Tereshkina dances with the very popular Shklyarov, Osmolkina with the interesting Ernest Latypov and reliable Stepin, lovely Katya Kondaurova is lumbered with dull stick Ivanchenko.  Matvienko dances with Askerov, much improved since his last visit to London and for those keen to see Englishman Xander Parish I suggest Chebykina (a newcomer to major roles in London I believe) rather than six o'clock extensions merchant Skorik.  Kimin Kim also dances with Skorik, he is a dance phenomenon but not my idea of prince material.

This post made me chuckle!  Poor old Ivanchenko....

Hmm not fussed either way with the casts I have got for my performances.  Disappointed I won't get to see Kondaurova in a lead although she may do Queen of the Dryads in DonQ.  Not keen on Matvienko as seen her loads before but she is it for Don Q. Hanging back on the matinee of DonQ.  Of course it could all change between now and July/August.  Pity these cats weren't up when I booked this morning but I already have my train tickets it was a fait a complis anyway!  I'm going more to see the corps in Swan Lake and Bayadere anyway.

Here' s the casting

Don Quixote

Monday 24 July 2017, 7.30pm 

Tereshkina/Kim

Tuesday 25 July 2017, 7.30pm 

Batoeva/Stepin

Wednesday 26 July 2017, 7.30pm 

Shakirova/Shklyarov

Saturday 5 August 2017, 2pm 

Yevseyeva/Yermakov

Saturday 5 August 2017, 7.30pm

Matvienko/Askerov

Swan Lake

Thursday 27 July 2017, 7.30pm 

Skorik/Parish

Friday 28 July 2017, 7.30pm 

Kondaurova/Ivanchenko

Saturday 29 July 2017, 2pm 

Osmolkina/Latypov

Saturday 29 July 2017, 7.30pm

Matvienko/Askerov

Monday 31 July 2017, 7.30pm

Tereshkina/Shklyarov

Tuesday 1 August 2017, 7.30pm 

Chebykina/Parish

Wednesday 2 August 2017, 7.30pm

Skorik/Kim

Monday 7 August 2017, 7.30pm

Osmolkina/Stepin

Anna Karenina

Thursday 3 August 2017, 7.30pm 

Vishneva/Zverev

Friday 4 August 2017, 7.30pm

Tereshkina/Shklyarov

Contrasts

Tuesday 8 August 2017, 7.30pm

Vishneva/Zverev/

Ivanchenko/Kondaurova

Matvienko/Tereshkina

Batoeva/Sergeev

Stepin/Yermakov

Kim/Tkachenko/Shklyarov/

Wednesday 9 August 2017, 7.30pm 

Kondaurova/Askerov

Belyakov/Matvienko

Shakirova/Batoeva

Sergeev/Stepin

Yermakov/Kim/Tkachenko/Parish

La Bayadere

Thursday 10 August 2017, 7.30pm 

Skorik/Kim/Matvienko

Friday 11 August 2017, 7.30pm

Tereshkina/Shklyarov/Batoeva

Saturday 12 August 2017, 2pm 

Skorik/Yermakov/Yevseyeva

Saturday 12 August 2017, 7.30pm 

Kondaurova/Askerov/Osmolkina

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

Many thanks for the info. about Swan lake casting  MAB. Sorry, hadn't read your post before I made my request. It's been rather a fraught day with little dog at the vets all day; now happily home. I think I'll go for Xander Parish's second performance and cross my fingers. I know all about the unreliability of Russian casting and can remember in the early 90s there was no internet for info. and you had to rely on stage door and that more or less on the day and it still changed! Just worried if I don't get a SL ticket fairly soon there may be no decent affordable seats left.

Despite spending more than I can really afford on tickets I know what Bruce means about not having the buzz of excitement I always used to get with the Russian visits. I think it's because I don't know the Mariinsky that well these days unlike the 90s when the Mariinsky was king and the Bolshoi not really known as well. Now the situation seems to be reversed and dancers such as Chudin and Lantratov are well known thanks to appearances and cinema broadcasts and Tikhamorova and Ovchenko (apologies for spelling) were great discoveries (for me at least). These days it is the RB dancers that for me generate the greatest excitement though I'll be happy to be proved wrong this summer.

if anyone has any info. about the not very well known dancers (to me at least) in the Tuesday evening and Saturday matinee Don Q I will be very grateful. 

if anyone has any info. about the not very well known dancers (to me at least) in the Tuesday evening and Saturday matinee Don Q I will be very grateful. 

IMO both those casts are worth seeing - Stepin in particular is absolutely terrific, he has technique & charisma in spades. I'd rather see him than most of the others cast in principal roles. 

Advice please: now they've announced casting which Swan Lake should I go for, assuming I can only get to one?

Not an easy choice this year: Anastasia Matvienko has been in disappointing form lately, artistically and technically speaking, Kondaurova has been a favourite with Western audiences for many years, more, however, due to her sex-appeal than pure classical lines (the least classical one of all the active principals and first dancers at Mariinsky), an arch-technician Tereshkina doesn't inspire me much anymore (her recent premiere Stone Flower was artistically flat), I don't watch Swan Lake to count the number and speed of rotations in assisted pirouettes after all; the case of Chebykina is one of the most vivid illustrations of the misguided policies of the last 9 years at Mariinsky. In this situation the last show, Osmolkina paired with Styopin, one of the best dancers in the company, is my first choice.

• Like 1

Many thanks MAB: advice about Bayadere casts would be most welcome too!

I would see both Kondaurova/Askerov/Osmolkina and Tereshkina/Shklyarov/Batoeva. Of all the Solors Kim Kimin is very well worth seeing in the Kingdom of Shades.

I purchased a ticket for each of the matinée's before I had seen the casting. Initially I was disappointed, but then I figured that the first time I saw my now favorites I didn't know if I would like them either. So I shall attend each performance with an open mind. Annoying that the same dancers are in Don Q & La Bayadere though.

I have to say that it is so irritating that the 'star' dancers don't seem to do matinée's. I would attend in the evening if I lived in London but there is always the concern of getting home or an expensive overnight stay! It seems ludicrous that in 2017 the last train home (for me) leaves before an evening performance has ended.

• Like 3

Not an easy choice this year: Anastasia Matvienko has been in disappointing form lately, artistically and technically speaking, Kondaurova has been a favourite with Western audiences for many years, more, however, due to her sex-appeal than pure classical lines (the least classical one of all the active principals and first dancers at Mariinsky), an arch-technician Tereshkina doesn't inspire me much anymore (her recent premiere Stone Flower was artistically flat), I don't watch Swan Lake to count the number and speed of rotations in assisted pirouettes after all; the case of Chebykina is one of the most vivid illustrations of the misguided policies of the last 9 years at Mariinsky. In this situation the last show, Osmolkina paired with Styopin, one of the best dancers in the company, is my first choice.

Sorry to hear you believe Matvienko is off form, I once saw her dance an outstanding Giselle with her husband Denis that has tended to inform my general opinion of her, but I haven't seen her dance recently.

UK audiences (and American ones too) often approach dancers with a different set of criteria to Russian audiences, here in London anything akin to the 'English style' goes down well.  Katya Osmolkina has the line and above all the musicality to appeal strongly here, furthermore she once danced two Swan Lakes in London with Ivan Putrov to great acclaim despite being relatively new to the role and dancing in a production with huge differences to the one she was used to.  She would be my first choice as a recommendation too.

Katya Kondaurova is the darling of American audiences who affectionately call her 'Big Red', for me she is a dancer with the X factor and she sends shivers down my spine, physically she is similar to Zenaida Yanovsky and I've a feeling the Yanovsky fans will also take to Kondaurova in a big way.   I disagree that she is un-classical.  

Personally I've never seen Tereshkina dance at less than the very highest level, her technique is phenomenal, I'm looking forward to seeing her again immensely.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you believe Matvienko is off form, I once saw her dance an outstanding Giselle with her husband Denis that has tended to inform my general opinion of her, but I haven't seen her dance recently.

UK audiences (and American ones too) often approach dancers with a different set of criteria to Russian audiences, here in London anything akin to the 'English style' goes down well.  Katya Osmolkina has the line and above all the musicality to appeal strongly here, furthermore she once danced two Swan Lakes in London with Ivan Putrov to great acclaim despite being relatively new to the role and dancing in a production with huge differences to the one she was used to.  She would be my first choice as a recommendation too.

Katya Kondaurova is the darling of American audiences who affectionately call her 'Big Red', for me she is a dancer with the X factor and she sends shivers down my spine, physically she is similar to Zenaida Yanovsky and I've a feeling the Yanovsky fans will also take to Kondaurova in a big way.   I disagree that she is un-classical.  

Personally I've never seen Tereshkina dance at less than the very highest level, her technique is phenomenal, I'm looking forward to seeing her again immensely.

Thanks for that, MAB.  Decisions made and it will have to be three performances now.

(Alas, poor Skorit!)

Edited by penelopesimpson

Anastasia Matvienko must be getting on in years now.  I saw her with Denis in DonQ at The Lowry a few years ago and they were good together.  I have always found her a bit mardy and not keen to spend time with fans, yet poor Tereshikina was literally dragged off by the manager last time they were here I was really quite shocked at the manager's behaviour it really was uncalled for.  Mariinsky definitely not as fan friendly as Bolshoi.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Had to google mardy, that's quite a slur. has it occurred to you she might just be shy?

Have no idea what 'fan friendly' means, but you clearly would have hated Rudolf Nureyev.

(...)

Concerning Matvienko, I do not believe, I saw it and recently. It was terrible. Concerning Kondaurova -- the dancer who is not fussing herself with much nuance, with strong, non-plastic hand and leg movements. Perfect for Forsythe (there is a reason why she remained unnoticed until it was precisely Forsythe who picked her).