14 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Didn't we just have Giselle in 16/17? 

The last run of Giselle did take place in 2016 but in the 2015/16 season (February-April 2016).  The new run is due to begin in January 2018 so it will, in fact,  have missed a season.

• Like 5

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Ballet Imperial - 2006.

Taming of the Shrew - 1977 (well before my time).  It's now in the BRB rep, so I wouldn't expect RB to try it again.

I thought it was familiar, and after I posted, I remembered that BRB were doing this!  I never got a chance to see it, but it sounds like good fun.  I adore BRB, but for the past few years I have always seemed to be away whenever they come down south.  

Regarding the rep, is there some sort of rule that says the RB and BRB can't overlap?  I often think that the latter's triple bills look far more interesting.  

The RB only did Taming of the Shrew because their planned first run of Onegin had to be cancelled very late on because of a problem with the fire-proofing of the sets and they had to find something else to do. It was dropped after a brief second run in the next season.

1 hour ago, Janet McNulty said:

I don't think there are any "rules" that the 2 companies shouldn't overlap but they tend not too, which makes box office sense to me.

Yes, it makes perfect box office sense, I agree.  But there are some things that seem to be exclusive to BRB, and never performed by RB, as far as I can tell.  And presumably vice versa.    

I’ve been mulling over the new season since it was announced. I don’t think I ever get excited until casting is released, but having said that, I’m definitely disappointed at the repetition and dates/timings of certain performances – there’s a lot I haven’t seen before but looking at when they’re on, it looks like I’ll have to miss a lot of them…

I haven’t seen either Alice or the Winter’s Tale live before so will may end up seeing 1 performance of them both (in particular the Winter’s Tale which I skipped last time and, unless I’m misremembering, was received really well on here). I am happy to see Manon and Giselle even if they’re back so soon. I’m getting carried away imagining the different casts I’d like to watch, but I’ll wait and see... Sylvia is another ballet I haven’t seen before, although I remember the DVD vaguely and enjoyed it, so am pleased to see it’ll be performed next season. I would probably say these are the main ones I’m interested in.

The Nutcracker, weirdly, is still something I’ve never seen. I suppose it’s a good opportunity for younger dancers and pairings to debut, and I would have liked to have seen Lauren/Reece last time, but I’m not particularly fussed on it. If I don’t see it I won’t be too annoyed. I’m also not fussed on the Bernstein tribute triple bill or the modern triple bill and will probably give both of those a miss.

The other triple bill for next year is disappointing for me – so many repeats (why when there’s so much to choose from!?). I may end up going if the casting is good – and it would have to be really good – but at the moment I’m thinking I might give that a miss as well. I’m surprised at the repetition of Elite Syncopations in particular, mostly due to personal taste (M&A could potentially give some interesting pairings besides the 3 this season but it is still possible fatigue could have set in by then).

The MacMillan celebration looks really interesting and features a lot of works I’ve never seen, but the dates they’re being performed on are so frustrating. So many mid-week evening shows! it's just not possible for me to take 2 days off work to see 1 performance and it’s just not possible to get back on the same day: the last train back from London might be 10:45PM for me, but my last connecting train 1hr 35 mins away is at 10:20PM! (Grumble). Only one performance is on a Friday evening which will probably be the only one I will see. Nothing on the weekends and no matinees: definitely the biggest disappointment of the new season for me. Oh well. 

That only leaves the new Swan Lake which I have my reservations about, but will definitely be seeing. Who knows, it may become a firm favourite.

Of my own wishlist, I would definitely like to see La Bayadere and Cinderella performed by the RB, as others have mentioned. Perhaps some more/any Balanchine as well (unless NYCB happen to tour to the UK… unlikely). And I wouldn’t have been too annoyed to see Onegin again despite it last being performed not too long ago. There’s simply too much I’d like to see that I can’t list them all. Maybe the season afterwards will be more interesting.

Edited by Lenore
Added 1 word
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Fonty said:

I thought it was familiar, and after I posted, I remembered that BRB were doing this!  I never got a chance to see it, but it sounds like good fun.  I adore BRB, but for the past few years I have always seemed to be away whenever they come down south.  

Regarding the rep, is there some sort of rule that says the RB and BRB can't overlap?  I often think that the latter's triple bills look far more interesting.  

BRBs triples are always an excellent mix/balance and well thought out.  I saw their Taming of the Shrew last year and I absolutely loved it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I've just got around to watching the new season promo on YouTube. The only word that springs to mind is  -  ghastly

I blame the opera dept!

Agree!

Who said 'It cost a lot of money to look this cheap'- which sprang to mind......

On 5/4/2017 at 14:43, bangorballetboy said:

Out of the above, these are screened at cinema:

Alice Live 23 Oct 7.15, Encore 29 Oct 2.00

Nutcracker Live 5 Dec 7.15, Encore 10 Dec 2.00

Winter's Tale Live 28 Feb 7.15, Encore 4 Mar 2.00

New McGregor / Age of Anxiety / New Wheeldon Live 27 Mar 7.15, Encore 1 Apr 2.00

Manon Live 3 May 7.15, Encore 6 May 2.00

Swan Lake Live 12 Jun 7.15, Encore 17 Jun 2.00

I've added the dates in the quote above.

Which is a sort of disappointing selection of what they're doing for those of us mostly stuck in the distant provinces. Four of those have been broadcast before in the last couple of years as far as I remember.

Is anyone familiar with either Sea of Troubles or Jeux, which are being put on in the Clore Studio before some of the Macmillan mixed bills? Is either likely to be worth making an effort to get to London early for?

Also: is Baiser de la fee worth a trip from the provinces (I have Concerto and Elite covered already)?

On 4/16/2017 at 19:29, Lizbie1 said:

Is anyone familiar with either Sea of Troubles or Jeux, which are being put on in the Clore Studio before some of the Macmillan mixed bills? Is either likely to be worth making an effort to get to London early for?

Also: is Baiser de la fee worth a trip from the provinces (I have Concerto and Elite covered already)?

I haven't seen any of the three ballets you mention above, but I will be glad to have the chance to. Am I right in thinking that MacMillan made two versions of Baiser de la Fée? The revival/reworking was in the 1980s with Fiona Chadwick as the Fairy. I wonder if she'll be involved coaching it?

Its a pity that there's no room for Flight Pattern next season. It felt like such a huge success for the company, its a shame they can't build on those performances immediately. I hope it will be brought back asap in the 2018/2019 season, although that seems like such a long way off. 

Obsidian Tear is a MacGregor work that I actually would go and see again. I'm curious about the Schecter as I missed it last time and would like to see the Tharp; not so sure about the Pita - still, probably something for Osipova and Watson to do in that, just what though?

As each year goes by and each season is announced it becomes clearer that there isn't time and space for everything that we'd like to see. In a way, the company is a victim of its own success and the choice to put on one ballet over another becomes (in our ballet world, at least) of magnified importance, (which is why I would question the reappearance next season of a certain new one-act ballet that wasn't particularly well received at its premiere and IMHO had few merits except wonderful dancers and an expensive looking set.) I think its great that the company has felt like a more creative place in recent years, but I also hope that it doesn't neglect its Diaghilev ballets, De Valois' best creations (Checkmate and Rake's Progress), the lesser seen Ashton works and earlier MacMillan pieces.

Its a shame there's no Balanchine next year, but with limited rep space, should Balanchine automatically be given a slot each season? And yes I would love to see Ballet Imperial again and Stravinsky Violin Concerto etc.

The designs for the new Swan Lake look reassuring. I see there is additional choreography by Ashton. Will that just be the Neapolitan Dance or will we also get the Act 4 choreography and the Pas de Quatre? I guess time will tell...

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but is it news that Will Tuckett's Elizabeth will be on at the Barbican from 16-19 May? It's in the ROH Spring Magazine but it's the first I've heard of it I think. (I can't see anything on the ROH website.)

There's no casting information given, in case anyone is wondering.

(Just to keep the original thread from vanishing from sight again)

Just received the magazine for the spring season and I notice there is only two ballets but there are four operas plus a concert. We have only got a Manon and a mixed bill. Then, of course, during the summer there are performances of the Ring Cycle. Bit of a leaning to the opera.

2 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Just received the magazine for the spring season and I notice there is only two ballets but there are four operas plus a concert. We have only got a Manon and a mixed bill. Then, of course, during the summer there are performances of the Ring Cycle. Bit of a leaning to the opera.

Not much change there then

In their (slight) defence, the Manon and Swan Lake runs, as with Alice, Nutcracker and Giselle, are very long. I haven't counted the number of nights each company gets (and how it compares with previous years) but I don't think it's so much a stronger leaning towards opera as the ballet company preferring to put on fewer productions.  Not that I was that impressed with the season announcement, mind!

As for the Ring, they aren't performing it until October - as I understood the rumour (and I've no idea what the source was), they're only rehearsing it during the summer

Indeed, the Ring is in Autumn 2018, and we opera-lovers have to book for it before either BP3 or BP4 of the 2017/18 season. Still, I suppose the imminent financial hit will be balanced by fewer other operas in Autumn 2018 and therefore a cheaper BP1 next year...

Just waiting for the Manon casting now. Last run I saw almost every performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuthE said:

Indeed, the Ring is in Autumn 2018, and we opera-lovers have to book for it before either BP3 or BP4 of the 2017/18 season. Still, I suppose the imminent financial hit will be balanced by fewer other operas in Autumn 2018 and therefore a cheaper BP1 next year...

Just waiting for the Manon casting now. Last run I saw almost every performance.

Off topic, but I noticed that you have to book for the entire ring cycle, you cannot just book for one opera but only all of them in that cycle. Extraordinary.