Frankenstein should be politely and quietly abandoned and forgotten. I don't agree with the policy of having to restage things in subsequent seasons if they were a total mess just to justify the original expenditure on the commission. I would happily have seen Alice go the same way. It surely costs no more to restage something from the 'regular' rep.

Les Patineurs would be good, especially if they can decouple it from the awful Beatrix Potter. I'm not sure about Job though - I'd be interested to see it as a point of historical interest but when Checkmate was last on I concluded that those de Valois ballets do not age well. Sometimes a revival can ruin a nice memory too - heretically, I'm afraid that Two Pigeons, which I first saw as a child, did that for me.

• Like 2

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the de Valois ballets is that they require a certain fore knowledge of the works that modern audiences just don't have.  A knowledge of William Hogarth, of the bible or the game of chess.  They also need outstanding dancers, the last revival of Checkmate failed because the casting was abysmal.

• Like 2

Yes, we have Strapless back even though noone thought it was any good ( did they?)

Please, please, no Frankenstein eating up time and money and wasting talent.

I'd like to see more triple bills ( which have cheaper seats too :-) ) and which give more opportunities for the many talented new stars to shine, featuring  some revivals of old, less often seen- or never seen-  Ashton classics , sandwiching new pieces, perhaps newly commissioned from some different choreographers.

Les Patineurs worked brilliantly as a Xmas show- with something else wintery that could work well- what? I enjoyed Pigeons but we've only just had it.

A new MacGregor, building on what he did in 'Tuesday' of Woolf Works would be welcome too- not a lightshow piece.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's just that MAB - I know my chess, bible and Rake's Progress but I find the early RB choreography looks a bit "make do and mend" with the limited dancers and resources they had at the time and simplistic in its ideas. I thought the same about the BRB Miracle in the Gorbals (I know that was a reconstruction but Gillian Lynne was involved). It was as if the early RB took the notion of modernism/moving-on-from-Petipa from the Ballets Russes et al but then couldn't rise beyond a rather stolid British obsession with narrative realism.

As I say i would be very interested to see Job (not least because I remember Veronica in the Wells books getting her first gig with the Sadlers' Wells ballet as a "Son of the Morning"!) but I wonder whether de Valois was a much better director than she was a choreographer?

Every year at this time I chime in with a sincere wish for Balanchine's Liebesleider Waltzer - which is in the RB's rep - but has been out of it for far, far too long.

Every year that wish only becomes more fervent because of all the miraculous cast combinations that could now be made; opportunities (certainly without the need for any guests) that are calling out to be given.  

Still I wish ,,, but sincerely expect to be disappointed yet again.  Indeed, so much so that now the actual desire to see this work done here again is but a shadow of what it once was.  It has been well and truly tempered.

I will be delighted with a revival of McGregor's fascinating Obsidian Tear ... and maybe - just maybe - a first UK glimpse of just one of Justin Peck's ballets, a coterie of which are now celebrated globally.  . 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Job was a designated 'A Masque for Dancing', requires a huge cast of extras, my memories are of a spectacle rather than a ballet, great deal of mime.  De Valois was restricted by meagre resources and relatively inexperienced dancers, she had to build up a company from scratch, but for Job she had Dolin, cast him as Satan and gave the work an exciting focal point.  Some will have seen Mukhamedov as Satan and he was very good, but to revive works of this sort you really need exceptional dancers..

• Like 1

I would love Bayadere (though I don't particularly like the RB version it's better than nothing) and Onegin. Also more Ashton. What about Sylvia? Not a massive favourite but it's been a while since we've seen it. Also a winter double bill of Patineurs and 2 Pigeons or Winter dreams would be great. re the dancers themselves I would love to see Yasmine dance something with Vadim. they are both such stylish, elegant classical dancers it would be a dream to see them together.

• Like 6

Thanks MAB, interesting. Is there anyone in the current RB you could imagine as a good Satan?

Watson?  Has to be quite mad, malevolent and over the top.  Oddly enough I was having an online discussion with a music critic about the score recently, he was a great admirer and we both loved the way RVW uses the saxophone for Job's slimy 'comforters'.  Remarkable score, things I'd like to see revived usually have outstanding music.

Has anyone approached Wayne McGregor for a new Rite of Spring?

Completely agree - people often don't think about music enough (though conversely a bad score can detract from an otherwise good ballet for me). I will see almost any Rite of Spring just for the music - the opening sends chills! Looking forward to seeing what ENB do with the Pina Bausch version.

Although I sometimes find that the more challenging scores can be too much for ballet orchestras. I recall a very 'hit and miss' stab at Romeo and Juliet in Milan and even the ROH band have served up a few wince-inducing moments in the recent RB run. I suspect the brass section is now so bored with the long run that they are either sending in deps or getting too many beers in at the intervals....

• Like 2

Remember when Haitink was music director he conducted an all Stravinsky programme for the RB and you couldn't get a ticket for love nor money.  Orchestra played like a dream under him.

I've a memory of an orchestra being roundly booed at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées after an execrable Prokofiev R&J.  When the ballet first entered the RB rep in the 60's it took years before the orchestra finally got it right.  Clearly a challenging score/

It got quite funny in the end at La Scala. Some players were just blatantly giving up before the top of ascending runs. For once I had managed to drag along my musician partner (not a big ballet fan) and he was nearly in hysterics at the audacity of their completely ignoring the conductor.

• Like 1

I suspect the brass section is now so bored with the long run that they are either sending in deps or getting too many beers in at the intervals....

Don't blame the ballet! I go to the opera a fair bit as well and the ROH brass are getting worse and worse (I would introduce regular re-auditions but presumably the unions forbid this). Maybe a long run is good as it makes them practice, if only by performing over and over...

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 4

For me a Dream Season with 7 full length ballets:

La Bayadere - Don Quixote - Swan Lake - Onegin - Sylvia - Alice - Manon (so 3 Petipa, 1 Ashton, 1 MacMillan, 1 Cranko and 1 Wheeldon)

Edited by eliamato
  • Like 4

I thought Mayerling was being given another run next season, really hope Hayward then has her chance at Vetsera. And - shoot me down in flames - I'd love to see her dance it with Polunin as guest artist. I'm also hoping for Requiem, and - yes I'll be in company of one - My Brother, My Sisters. Please, no R & J, but yes to Manon - I missed Hayward with Watson last time round. As for the Ashton as many of the one act ballets as possible!

• Like 3

Thank you Vanartus - I too thought there was a good chance that Mayerling will be coming back. Would be great to see Francesca as Mary and I still hope that Bennet Gartside might have a final Crown Prince performance. I think I raised this possibility when we saw casting for this year's Mayerling.

I heard it from a critic (normally a bona fide source) some time ago. He said it was to allow Watson the start, and then a probable shoe-in for Polunin following year. It's unusual to repeat a full-evening ballet, but I think it's been done with Fille and R&J. Again delete at Will if this comes under hearsay...

I heard it from a critic (normally a bona fide source) some time ago. He said it was to allow Watson the start, and then a probable shoe-in for Polunin following year. It's unusual to repeat a full-evening ballet, but I think it's been done with Fille and R&J. Again delete at Will if this comes under hearsay...

There are also some other 'Rudolf' candidates within the RB who will be itching for their chance next time around. I read this year's casting as ensuring that certain older dancers had their opportunity before the rush gathered pace..

But Mayerling doesn't seem to be selling all that well, does it? And that must surely raise questions about a quick return to the rep.

I thought Mayerling was being given another run next season, really hope Hayward then has her chance at Vetsera. And - shoot me down in flames - I'd love to see her dance it with Polunin as guest artist. I'm also hoping for Requiem, and - yes I'll be in company of one - My Brother, My Sisters. Please, no R & J, but yes to Manon - I missed Hayward with Watson last time round. As for the Ashton as many of the one act ballets as possible!

I too would love to see My Brother, My Sisters again.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

There are also some other 'Rudolf' candidates within the RB who will be itching for their chance next time around. I read this year's casting as ensuring that certain older dancers had their opportunity before the rush gathered pace..

But Mayerling doesn't seem to be selling all that well, does it? And that must surely raise questions about a quick return to the rep.

The Watson/Osipova ones have sold out (just about), the others selling reasonably I think, with still plenty of time to go, still performing SB, and 2 other bills first. Though agree a second run in quick succession may struggle - as did Fille last time out for the same reason of saturation.

• Like 1

I too would love to see My Brother, My Sisters again.

as long as they put it with Pierre Luniere and something like Wedding Bouquet, I'd be happy (could miss all 3 in one hit then).

As you might gather - not one of my favourites!!  :-)

• Like 3

I know Sergei Polunin has danced Crown Prince Rudolph at Stanistavsky but did he play the role at Royal Ballet? (when RB brought Mayerling to Japan he was one of the Hungarian officers) 

Sergei did not dance Rudolf until he was at the Stanislavsky.

• Like 1