RB JA's Manchester auditions...

MrsMoo2

Anyone else going?? DS is, but he recently got a "no" from the Hammond so is feeling a bit wobbly about it. I think he struggled with the names of some of the positions, he's borderline dyslexic so has an amazing memory for some things and picks things up very quickly but may not know what a "fouetté" or a "entrechat" is even though he can do them. Apparantly the teacher at the Hammond just used the French words which threw him.

Anyone who has been before or have any advice for him would be fab! Also where are they held? We'd be travelling over so need to look at places to hang out.

Thank you! ????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

Lots of very happy times at Manchester RBS JA's with the lovely Miss Agar. DD with her for yrs 4, 5 and 6. Audition/classes are held at Centre Pointe in Denton, Manchester. Fab studios, waiting area with coffee machine (very much needed on the early mornings!). Classes are on a Friday and a Sunday - years 4 and 5 in the afternoon and then yr 6 in the morning. Sainsbury's just round corner for lunch and just a bit further is Premier Inn. Hope that helps.

All the very best for your ds's audition.

Edited by Dancing unicorn

Sorry cross posting! I think French names would be used in audition but they do try very hard to put kids at ease so he could ask if didn't understand. My dd didn't understand all terms as do differ between syllabi.

Sorry I have no experience of Hammond associates to compare.

My dd did the insight day and they said the audition is very similar.

There was lots of dancing from the corners in pairs eg, gallops, turns, skips.

There was some role play pretending you was in a Tornado and some floor work like stretching their legs out to the side and curling their fingers and toes in and out. It all looked like alot of fun. Lots of jumps and leaps. They did use some french words but also demonstrated the moves and moving their feet into position etc. My dd is grade 1 age 7 and wasn't confused by anything so all basic stuff.

I wouldn't worry they were very experienced in getting the children to do what they wanted and the lady that took the class will also be doing the Manchester audition at Centre Pointe and she was really lovely with the children. Good luck x

We are regular attendees to centre pointe and I can agree that the Sainsbury's round the corner is a nice store to browse round and grab a coffee. Also the premier inn nearby at the M60 jnc that you'll come off at has a Brewers Faye's attatched and as it's premier inn-fantastic buffet breakfasts kids eat free!! Also good pub food for any other time of day. Good luck for the audition. My dd auditioned 4 years ago and it was a no for us but with so many talented girls and it was for a year 6 place (so don't take as many as for year 4) it was really just to go for the experience! She enjoyed her day and the panel were so lovely with the children and thanked them all for coming and showing them their beautiful dancing.

I'm torn....we were going to audition (haven't before) but she's just got a year 6 place for September at the hammond which means she wouldn't need time out of school on Fridays.

Given it's unlikely she'd get in anyway due to competition I don't know whether to just not apply?

It's so hard...

MrsMoo I'd be inclined to email rbs and just explIn about the dyslexia. It can't hurt xx

Tattielashes - I would think seriously about going - while accepting the chances of success are low.

If your dc is ballet orientated I would definitely go as it is a very prestigious scheme, excellent teaching and would help if they want to apply for ballet vocational at Y7.

Even if they are an all rounder ballet training is basic to it all.

The disadvantages of the JAs is that some children, especially younger ones, may find it tiring as it's a long ballet lesson.I understand the Hammond scheme may provide more variety of dance in shorter segments so may suit an all rounder or younger ones better.

I'm going to stick my neck out based on experience of Manchester JAs and having dc at Hammond School - I think the Hammond sessions would be more relaxed.

And you could just see how you get on at Hammond and re-consider next year!!

• Like 1

I think it is quite difficult for dyslexic children at auditions, stress tends to make all the problems worse. He is very young and I think the most important thing is not to give up, the more auditions he does the easier it will be. I'm not sure whether you can ask for it to be considered, we have never gone down that route despite having an official diagnosis. It generally worries me a little that people have preconceived ideas and it may count against them (not speaking about ballet in particular)

Well in a strange twist of fate, the fella who teaches at the Hammond did a boys workshop at our school today!!

He recognised DS, and from what I heard gave him lots of compliments on his jumps, calling him a jumping bean! The only thing he kept pulling him up on was posture, so guess we can work with that. Found out today that there are about 4 kids from our school trying out for RBS ass. too so least I'll have people to drink coffee with!! ????

Looking forward to the day out, hope to see some of you guys there...xx

• Like 1