Royal Opera's Adriana Lecouvreur

Scheherezade

Wonderful opening night at the Adriana Lecouvreur revival and what joy to experience, at long last, a production as appealing to the eye as to the ear.

It goes without saying, as I'm sure many already have, that Adriana is a role that sits perfectly on Angela Gheorghiu but, my goodness, how fabulous were Ksenia Dudnikova, bringing brittle glamour to the Princess de Bouillon, Brian Jagde, a vocal powerhouse as Maurizio, and on top of all that Gerald Finley, totally scene-stealing as a nuanced and heartrending Michonnet.

More casting of this quality, please, and let's have more David McVicar instead of some of the appalling productions that have been foisted upon us in the recent past.

I find Gheorghiu's stage presence lacking in this role. I did in 2010 when it was new, and in this revival, as you say, the tenor and mezzo in particular were SO good, they rather put her in the shade, I thought.  When I see somebody playing a great actress I want her to be owning the stage, and I didn't think she did.  I didn't get the impression that she could take the Princesse in a fight ;)

(Meanwhile, I'm off to Glasgow the week after next to see McVicar's new Pelleas et Melisande :) He has always done some of his best work at Scottish Opera.  I find much of what he does in the bigger houses now to be a bit bland and safe...)

To get an idea of a perfect Adriana, there is a 1959 recording of the opera that is of first rate quality for its age.  Magda Olivero, the composer's choice, sings the title role with Corelli as Maurizio and Guiletta Simionato as La Principessa.

Absolutely superb and gets played over and over again.

• Like 1

To get an idea of a perfect Adriana, there is a 1959 recording of the opera that is of first rate quality for its age.  Magda Olivero, the composer's choice, sings the title role with Corelli as Maurizio and Guiletta Simionato as La Principessa.

Absolutely superb and gets played over and over again.

I have a Magda Olivero compilation which includes recordings of the two great Adriana arias, recorded in 1939/40 (also some Turandot, Tosca, Traviata etc). Extraordinary!