Dance links w/b Sunday July 8, 2012

Links – Sunday 8 July, 2012

Review - The Royal Ballet, Birthday Offering, Month in the Country, Les Noces:

Luke Jennings,
The Observer

4 stars, uncredited,
The Independent

The Big Dance - interview with Jasmine Wilson of Random Dance: Carmel Smith, Londondance

Review - Sadlers’ Wells Sampled, London: Margaret Willis, DanceTabs

Review – Vicki Van Hout, Briwyant, Melbourne: Heather Bloom, Australian Stage

Cynical thoughts about Rojo’s job shift: The Independent

Miami City Ballet must fix financial operations: Palm Beach Daily News

and for want of anything better…

Bussell, Cuthbertson and scent and stuff (beats me): Bella Blissett, Daily Mail

Natalie Portman resurrects 'Black Swan' in Christian Dior ad: Jamie Wetherbe, Los Angeles Times

Edited by John Mallinson
To change Big Dance details

An accidental omission in both pieces?! I'm not surprised that the writer has not put his or her name to the first piece given the comments on the hiring of dancers. In my opinion, anyone making critical comments about another person or an organisation in a national newspaper should do it in his/her own name.

• Like 2

Links – Monday 9 July, 2012

Review - The Royal Ballet, Birthday Offering, Month in the Country, Les Noces: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Le Corsaire, Ethan Stiefel’s farewell: Brian Seibert, New York Times - and a slideshow

Preview - Paris Opéra Ballet in New York: Roslyn Sulcas, New York Times

Pina Bausch's World Cities – what's the verdict?: Judith Mackrell, The Guardian

Obituary - Martin Pakledinaz, Tony-Winning Broadway Costume Designer: David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter

Frances Alenikoff, Dancer and Visual Artist, Dies at 91: Margalit Fox, New York Times

Ballet on tv and film + POB NY preview: Pia Catton, Wall Street Journal

Seo Hee promoted to Principal at ABT: Do Ja-hae, Korea Times

Film review - My Dad is Baryshnikov: George Heymont, Huffington Post

Links – Tuesday 10 July, 2012

Review - Paris Opéra Ballet, Giselle:

Oksana Khadarina,
DanceTabs

Alexandra Tomalonis,
danceviewtimes

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Wiesenland:

Judith Mackrell,
The Guardian

Mark Monahan,
The Telegraph

James Woodall,
The Arts Desk

Katie Colombus,
The Stage

Profile - Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker, prior to London appearance: Liz Hoggard, Evening Standard

Review - New English Ballet Theatre, Synergies:

Graham Watts,
DanceTabs

Sarah Frater,
The Stage

Review - Compagnie Fêtes galantes, Let My Joy Remain, Bard Summerscape: Apollinaire Scherr, Financial Times

Review - English National Ballet, mixed programme at St Paul’s Cathedral: Graham Watts, Londondance

Review - Matthew Bourne, Play Without Words: Neil Norman, The Stage

Metamorphosis: Titian 2012 – in pictures: The Guardian, and more about the (National Gallery) show on Bloomberg.com

The National Gallery exhibition sounds interesting, if it's not too crowded I may see it on Saturday and get a preview of the costumes and scenery, also get in the right mood before the evening performance.

Links – Wednesday 11 July, 2012

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Le Corsaire: Carol Pardo, danceviewtimes

Ethan Stiefel’s retirement from ABT:

Robert Johnson,
The Star-Ledger

Jocelyn Noveck, AP,
Huffington Post

American Ballet Theatre - the Russians are coming, no, they’re here: Robert Gottlieb, New York Observer

Interview - Aurélie Dupont, Paris Opéra Ballet Etoile: Gia Kourlas, TimeOut New York

Review - Dutch National Ballet, Hans van Manen gala, Baden-Baden: Laura Cappelle, Financial Times

Review - Ronald K. Brown, Evidence, On Earth Together/Everybody at the Table, NY:

Marina Harss,
The Faster Times

Gia Kourlas,
New York Times

Preview - Elizabeth Streb, One Extraordinary Day, London: Keith Watson, Metro

Preview - The Foundry, No Hero, SF: Rita Felciano, San Francisco Bay Guardian

Arabesques, reality-style: Ballet hits pop culture: Jocelyn Noveck, AP, Boston Globe

Group forms to save the NYCB season at SPAC: Brian Ettkin, Albany Times Union

Profile - Jean Grand-Maître, Artistic Director of Alberta Ballet: Marsha Lederman, Globe and Mail

Exhibition - Fashion Behind the Iron Curtain, wardrobes of the stars, St Petersburg: Galina Stolyarova, St Petersburg Times

Re The Independent's pieces on Sunday - I've received this from Jenny Gilbert - 'The byline Jenny Gilbert (me) was very clearly displayed at the top of the piece as it always is. The Ferel Beast normally carries the writer's name but Matthew Bell was away last week so the column was anonymous'.

I can't see Jenny Gilbert's name either. At least we now know that she was the writer of the piece which included comments about Monica Mason's hiring decisions/policy. The ROH lawyers may care to take a look at what she has said, but perhaps I am putting an unfair interpretation on her comments, although I don't think that I am. Both pieces are poor, in my opinion. I don't read The Independent and I'm not inclined to start doing so if these pieces are representative of the writing in the paper. Oh, and I don't care if Matthew Bell was away; the anonymous piece should have carried the writer's name. If you are in the privileged position of writing for a national newspaper then you should have the decency to put your name to what you have written especially if you are making critical comments about another person or an organisation.

• Like 1

From the Star Ledger article on Ethan Stiefel's retirement from ABT:

"Stiefel also created the role of the impoverished World War I doughboy in Taylor’s “Black Tuesday.” After a performance of this ballet on September 15, 2001, in San Diego, he brought an American flag on stage in a gesture of defiant patriotism. A photographer from “The Los Angeles Times” was there to capture the moment for history."

I was there - it was quite a moment.

Just after Sept. 11th with all air travel grounded across the country, the Company had to arrive by bus - travelling for days. The conductor had to rush down by car from several states away. It was a close run thing that the performance happened at all.

I also had the immense pleasure of interviewing Stiefel and found him to bea very gracious and forthcoming.

• Like 1

There's still no byline on the online version, which is what people have been commenting about. And no, aileen, I don't think you're being over-sensitive about what she wrote. I don't follow the RBS very closely, but I wasn't aware that it's had a particularly large pool of potential candidates of the type described.

I can't see Jenny Gilbert's name either. At least we now know that she was the writer of the piece which included comments about Monica Mason's hiring decisions/policy. The ROH lawyers may care to take a look at what she has said, but perhaps I am putting an unfair interpretation on her comments, although I don't think that I am. Both pieces are poor, in my opinion. I don't read The Independent and I'm not inclined to start doing so if these pieces are representative of the writing in the paper. Oh, and I don't care if Matthew Bell was away; the anonymous piece should have carried the writer's name. If you are in the privileged position of writing for a national newspaper then you should have the decency to put your name to what you have written especially if you are making critical comments about another person or an organisation.

Don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but I thought Ms Gilbert was indicating that had she wrote the piece, her name would have been on it.

Sadly, the quality of the whole paper (under the latest editor) has gone downhill of late. For my personal interests The Indy used to be the best. For example, the racing pages used to be amongst the very best around - now they are a joke. And I find so many mistakes in things I DO know about, its worrying for the things that I don't, that I would hope they would keep me accurately informed about. The same people now run the London Standard evening paper, so at least they have reigned in that rabid right-wing beat a little (though reading the letters page, not sure many of the readers have mellowed as yet) - but again, the racing page has all but disappeared (the used to have the card or cards for the top meeting for the following day - this June they didn't even have the opening couple of days of Royal Ascot!). Probably that pleases many - but for me, is just an indication of their downward slide.

Links – Thursday 12 July, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, Balanchine programme, Saratoga Springs:

Susan Mehalick,
Albany Times Union

Jay Rogoff,
The Saratogian

Interview - Desmond Kelly, retiring Artistic Director, Elmhurst School for Dance: Jane Simpson, DanceTabs

Impressions - The Sorrow and the Ecstasy of Trisha Brown: Marina Harss, Faster Times

Review - Tara O’Con, Underneath Where We Are, River to River Festival: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Review - Vertigo Dance Company, Mana, Jacob’s Pillow: Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Review - Compagnie Fêtes Galantes, Let My Joy Remain, Bard Summerscape: Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Review - Birmingham Royal Ballet, Faster, The Grand Tour, The Dream: Louise Levene, The Telegraph

Preview - Dance Umbrella 2012: Carmel Smith, londondance

Review - East London Dance, Leaving Limbo Landing: Jeffrey Gordon Baker, londondance

The Pina Bausch blog, final roundup: Ricky Power Sayeed, TimeOut London

Michaela DePrince - Star dancer born into war grows up to inspire: Carley Petesch, AP, Boston Globe

Review - Rock the Ballet, Perth: Jacqui Bahr, The West Australian

Not dance, but who cares! - The Gods of Grace: When Sport is Beautiful: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Not dance, but who cares! - The Gods of Grace: When Sport is Beautiful: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Who cares, indeed! Thank you for finding that one, John. In the same vein, here's an old link from the old Balletco. site on a similar subject: http://www.washingto...0022602970.html (I thought we'd had some sort of discussion of Federer's movement in dance terms, but couldn't find any sign of it).

Links – Friday 13 July, 2012

Review - Paris Opéra Ballet, Suite en Blanc, L’Arlésienne, Boléro, New York: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - Bavarian State Ballet, mixed bill, Munich: Gerald Dowler, Financial Times

Review - Ronald K. Brown/Evidence, Come Ye, Seeking Healing, Upside Down, New York: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Trisha Brown Dance Company, Astral Converted, NY:

Brian Seibert,
New York Times

Leigh Witchel,
New York Post

Review - New Movement Collective, Casting Traces, London:

Jann Parry,
DanceTabs

Graham Watts,
londondance

Review - Metamorphosis: Titian 2012, National Gallery, London: Sarah Kent, The Arts Desk

Copyright and Choreography: The Good, The Bad, and The Fair: Elizabeth F. Jackson, Dance/USA

Preview - Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Spanish tour: Fionnuala Burke, Birmingham Post

Review - Toronto Fringe Festival: Michael Crabb, Toronto Star

London 2012: The Big Dance and me: Laura Thompson, The Telegraph

Big Dance Trafalgar Square press release: DanceTabs

NY Fall For Dance lineup: Marina Harss, Faster Times

Review - Rock The Ballet, Perth: Megan Green, Australian Stage

Review - Imperial Ice Stars, The Nutcracker on Ice, Wellington: Ann Hunt, Dominion Post

Preview - Liu Jun, Nutcracker Magic: Chen Nan, China Daily

Links – Saturday 14 July, 2012

Review - Paris Opéra Ballet, Suite en Blanc, L’Arlésienne, Boléro, New York:

Marina Harss,
DanceTabs

Robert Johnson,
The Star-Ledger

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Le Corsaire, Gennadi Savieliev’s farewell: Eric Taub, DanceTabs

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, World Cities, London: Roslyn Sulcas, New York Times

Monica Mason, parting thoughts: Rupert Christiansen, The Telegraph

Review - Shobana Jeyasingh, TooMortal, London: Misa Brzezicki, londondance

Review - Matthew Bourne, Play Without Words, Leicester: Neil Norman, Daily Express

Exhibition - Metamorphosis: Titian 2012, National Gallery, London: Jackie Wullschlager, Financial Times

A Big Dance day, London: Misa Brzezicki, londondance

Preview video - Streb Extreme Action, London 2012: The Guardian

English National Ballet, Like a Fish Out of Water: Wendy Hurrell, BBC News video

• 1 month later...