RB Summer Season Casting

Was surprised to see most of the casting is on the ROH website for Summer, can't see it anywhere here yet, sorry I can't copy but can remember M and A casting as:

Yanovsky/Bolle

Ferri/Bonelli

Osipova/TBC

Lots to think about!

• Like 4

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was surprised to see most of the casting is on the ROH website for Summer, can't see it anywhere here yet, sorry I can't copy but can remember M and A casting as:

Yanovsky/Bolle

Ferri/Bonelli

Osipova/TBC

Lots to think about!

Looks like I'll be having to see all three casts in this one!!

• Like 4

I guess there are two. Is that usual? Or are they waiting on availability/injury or just haven't decided Yet?

I think if there is a time when Mr Polunin would make a reappearance at ROH, the romantics might hope that he reenters the ROH appearing as the Oberon he walked out on 2 days before the performance in 2012.

TBC due to contract, and the uncertainty, and that it will (could potentially) be huge news.

Love the idea of Ferri in M & A!  I shall have to purchase tickets to two different casts now. 

I suppose we will have to wait a long time to see the full cast for Symphonic Variations.  

And I have never seen The Dream.  No idea why, just missed it every time.  

• Like 1

I've got exams in June so I was hoping to limit myself to only one night for this triple bill, but I can see that I'll definitely want to see more than one cast now. For those who are hoping that Polunin is returning for The Dream, I should point out that there's also a possibility that he will be in M&A with Osipova instead, since she has undoubtedly been a huge part of his much-heralded potential return to the ROH.

Love the idea of Ferri in M & A!  I shall have to purchase tickets to two different casts now. 

I suppose we will have to wait a long time to see the full cast for Symphonic Variations.  

And I have never seen The Dream.  No idea why, just missed it every time.  

The Dream in this absolutely beautiful design is an  essential trip! Don't miss it! Go go go!

..that's my view anyway.

• Like 4

I have to admit, I wasn’t very excited about the summer season, but that is some exciting casting. Stand outs for me are: Roberto Bolle, Hayward as Titania, and Osipova and Ferri as Marguerite. 

Presumably, one of the Oberons will be Golding, pending fitness, as he has danced the role before? 

Not sure how I feel about the possibility of Polunin. It would certainly be a spectacle to see him dance Marguerite and Armand opposite Osipova. I have never really thought it likely that he would return though.

I really can't afford this!

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

Disappointed Vadim isn't scheduled to dance in either The Dream or Marguerite and Armand. I would have especially loved to see him in The Dream. I suppose he may be the TBC for Laura Morera. Much as I'd love to see him with Francesca I suppose the height discrepancy would be too much. I would love to see Alex or Matthew Ball dance it with her though it would have been wonderful if Matthew and Yasmine would have been given a performance. A pity they're not filming Francesca's performance, especially given her recent publicity on the Nutcracker doc, she is such a wonderful Ashton dancer.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm disappointed about Vadim too, although the fact that he is in Symphonic Variations (on my birthday too! ????) is a definite compensation - I missed it last time around and kicked myself afterwards.

I'm not sure they would have Golding in The Dream again, since most of the reviews of his last performance I have seen were not complimentary.

I think if there is a time when Mr Polunin would make a reappearance at ROH, the romantics might hope that he reenters the ROH appearing as the Oberon he walked out on 2 days before the performance in 2012.

TBC due to contract, and the uncertainty, and that it will (could potentially) be huge news.

I don't think he wold come back for that. And there are 3 TBC.

You'd think it might be Campbell or Hay but both are too small for Morera. 

Thin pickings for Golding and Kish.

Kish is doing Polunin's show and Golding who knows. I would imagine Campbell would be Haywards partner and perhaps Ball Morera's.

I should point out that there's also a possibility that he will be in M&A with Osipova instead, since she has undoubtedly been a huge part of his much-heralded potential return to the ROH.

This would be the only liklihood he will come back I think. It isn't much higher heralded really. It is just what everyone hopes because he is her boyfriend.

Disappointed Vadim isn't scheduled to dance in either The Dream or Marguerite and Armand. I would have especially loved to see him in The Dream. I suppose he may be the TBC for Laura Morera. Much as I'd love to see him with Francesca I suppose the height discrepancy would be too much. I would love to see Alex or Matthew Ball dance it with her though it would have been wonderful if Matthew and Yasmine would have been given a performance. A pity they're not filming Francesca's performance, especially given her recent publicity on the Nutcracker doc, she is such a wonderful Ashton dancer.

I would imagine Yasmine would be Helena/Hermitage with James/Matty and possibly Beatrix as well.

I have mixed feelings about the casting for Marguerite and Armand. When I was thinking of who I wanted to be cast I was thinking of Nunez/Muntagirov and Cuthbertson/Clarke, however, they are dancing Symphonic Variations. Really pleased with the Yanowsky/Bolle cast though. I’m looking forward to the other mixed bill but I wasn’t keen on Strapless.

Speaking as a *huge* Marianela Nuñez fan, and a very picky M&A-goer, I'm actually quite grateful she isn't doing it.

I'm sure she'd be gorgeous and full of character as she is in everything, but I can't see her in the role - at least not quite yet.

• Like 2

Aside from the fact that Polunin is Osipova's boyfriend, he is a marvellous Armand in his own right. His performances with Rojo in this ballet were deeply moving and conveyed the tragedy of the piece so intensely. The ballet was not a favourite of mine but after those performances I like it a whole lot more. Everything was crystal clear and there was so much raw emotion...I will never forget those two nights at the ballet.

• Like 9

Aside from the fact that Polunin is Osipova's boyfriend, he is a marvellous Armand in his own right. 

I do agree about this but I can't help feeling that Kevin O'Hare should be giving his own dancers the opportunities which are available in this triple bill rather than bringing in so many guests.

And why have Armands near to, or in, their forties (Bolle and also Bonelli - who has been cast many times before) when there are at least three wonderful, tall, young candidates in the 'home team' (Muntagirov; Ball; Clarke).

Do I need to quickly run for cover ??? !!!!!

• Like 6

Possibly because the "wonderful, tall, young candidates" are being considered (or have been cast) for other roles?

That is the trouble with these "all-[choreographer]" bills, regardless of who [choreographer] is: if you have dancers who are particularly good at that choreographer's works, or are frequently cast in them in the case of still-living choreographers, you have to make compromises in terms of which works you cast them in, as generally it's impractical/impossible to get them to appear in each piece, even if it's split between different performances.  At the Royal Ballet, it used to be that you would have A-cast and B-cast performances, and that a leading dancer would dance a role in one part of the programme for the A-cast and another role for the B-cast (I seem to remember Yoshida and Cojocaru swapping between Daphnis and Chloe and Scenes de Ballet about 12 years ago), but in recent years it seems that management has become a lot more cautious about doubling-up, whether it's due to scheduling or to worries about potential injury - both Edward Watson and Leanne Benjamin, in their last run together of The Dream/Song of the Earth reported being given an "either/or" option only, and as we've noticed in recent all-Ashton bills leading dancers have usually only initially been assigned a role in one of the "bigger" ballets.  As a result, we may end up getting less-than-optimum casting in some works.

I do agree about this but I can't help feeling that Kevin O'Hare should be giving his own dancers the opportunities which are available in this triple bill rather than bringing in so many guests.

And why have Armands near to, or in, their forties (Bolle and also Bonelli - who has been cast many times before) when there are at least three wonderful, tall, young candidates in the 'home team' (Muntagirov; Ball; Clarke).

Yes, I did have a little wish that Yanowsky would be partnered by Clarke. They were so beautiful together in After the Rain. I guess the demands of a broadcast and a probable DVD made that unlikely and Yanowsky was fantastic with Bolle in Manon...

• Like 2

I think the inclusion of Bolle is more for the reason that it Yanowsky's last performance, and that she has had very special history with him, especially the Golden Jubilee performance. Mr Bolle has also guested in other companies for noteable farewell performances.

• Like 10

Mayerling in the spring and at least two casts in this triple I would love to see. Looks like I will have to crank open my wallet at last. I haven't felt sufficiently inspired until now but wow!

Edited to say I am referring to The Dream triple.

Edited by Jacqueline