Elmhurst Fees Question

Loulabelle

Can anyone tell me what the fees, excluding boarding and before all the extras such as exam fees, are for Elmhurst 6th form please?

Can't seem to find the information on the website. I'm assuming its not just as straightforward as deducting a day place from a boarding place? Although the figures I have for that are from last year.

Hi Loulabelle, I asked this question at the prelims and was told by a financial lady that non boarding was not an option. I was thinking in the context of a host family; not sure what their thoughts are if you live locally. The fees are pretty scary and I was trying to think of possible alternatives to reduce the cost.

Hi Karen

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't really think of it in terms of not boarding (if DD was lucky enough to get a place! Haha) I just wanted to find out how much the boarding element of the fees is?

I know that Dada is only towards the tuition fees so wanted to know how much we would have to pay for her to board as I can work out rough Dada calculation.

I have a Dd in the lower school on an MDS and a Ds in 6th form on a DaDa. I would be happy to answer any questions. We too were worried about the accommodation costs but they bring it all together, as with the MDS, into one payment. In fact, on the same income for last year, we contributed more towards the MDS than the DaDa. It's still expensive but they do also offer extra financial support.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know how much Elmhurst  fees are for Upper School if a DADA is awarded please? I have been on the Dada website but cannot understand what we would need to pay  for living costs. I am totally confused and need to make a quick decision. 

Most of  those awarded a DADA

are also given bursaries towards the boarding element which are means tested.

The assurance was that we would not end up paying more by way of parental contributions than we did during Lower school.

This has indeed turned out to be the case .

It is worth contacting the finance department for a discussion I believe the ladies name is Rachel Titley 

Edited by Billyelliott
Typos !

4 hours ago, Jane said:

I second @Billyelliot about contacting the school, offices are manned during school holidays. Do remember that in 6.3 the students live in private rentals so you have the rent plus bills. 

Thank you, I will.  I am finding the whole process so confusing, wanting to do the right thing for my ds and wondering if we can afford his dream in reality.

On 17/01/2017 at 16:25, cotes du rhone ! said:

I have a Dd in the lower school on an MDS and a Ds in 6th form on a DaDa. I would be happy to answer any questions. We too were worried about the accommodation costs but they bring it all together, as with the MDS, into one payment. In fact, on the same income for last year, we contributed more towards the MDS than the DaDa. It's still expensive but they do also offer extra financial support.

Hi could I please ask how many girls and boys there are likely to be in the first year of sixth form and how does pdd work? Many thanks 

1 hour ago, Jen51 said:

Hi could I please ask how many girls and boys there are likely to be in the first year of sixth form and how does pdd work? Many thanks 

Hi, the numbers vary. In Dds year there are 13 in total, that’s boys and girls.  Dss year has ? 16 girls and 6 boys. The lower year has far more of both. In Pdd the boys are paired with height appropriate girls, 2 or 3 each. Xx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jen51 said:

Many thanks for your reply, so pdd is always within same year even if much fewer boys? 

Yes, on the rare occasion they do mix it’s mainly because of height. My 6:3 Ds has only done Pdd once with the 6:2 girls. I must admit though that they don’t do much Pdd in 6:1 and 6:2. But make up for it in 6:3 with the EBC performances and outreach etc. 

• 3 years later...

This is very useful reading. Thank you.

For those with current and very recent experience of Elmhurst Upper, I’d very much appreciate trying hearing more about:

- timetable (dance hours per day/what dance etc)

- performances and competitions

- general atmosphere (though v subjective)

etc

Trying to get as full a picture as possible 

thank you 

2 hours ago, LexBallet said:

This is very useful reading. Thank you.

For those with current and very recent experience of Elmhurst Upper, I’d very much appreciate trying hearing more about:

- timetable (dance hours per day/what dance etc)

- performances and competitions

- general atmosphere (though v subjective)

etc

Trying to get as full a picture as possible 

thank you 

My two graduated 3/4 years ago so can’t comment on the up to date stuff but you don’t mention A levels. 
In our personal experience they are very valuable post training if that job doesn’t happen and there’s a desire to go the University. We found the academic teaching staff fabulous and both mine left with fab results, which one is using and the other will fall back on eventually.

Also look at the graduate destinations. They look fab on the website but do your research and prepare for the fact that paid jobs are slim and you may have to continue to pay post the three years training for your child to dance. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello. Is there anyone who can tell me the termly fees for the music lessons and RAD lessons at Elmhurst if you are not on MDS?

Do the music lessons start in the first term?

I know RAD starts in Jan usually but sometimes Easter.
I can email the school but hoping someone might have the answer. 

If it helps, Elmhurst has a fees calculator on their website.

We have found it pretty accurate.

During the parents' meeting at the finals, the principal said that it was very accurate (as long as you put in an honest, accurate amount as your household income).

We have recently received a letter detailing our fees for this year (Y12) and I can vouch for the calculator. It was spot on!

16 hours ago, BalletBelle said:

If it helps, Elmhurst has a fees calculator on their website.

We have found it pretty accurate.

During the parents' meeting at the finals, the principal said that it was very accurate (as long as you put in an honest, accurate amount as your household income).

We have recently received a letter detailing our fees for this year (Y12) and I can vouch for the calculator. It was spot on!

Hi. No there is nothing on the website that states fees for RAD or Music lessons. 
We are not entitled to MDS so full fee paying and wanting to know the extra costs when we get handed the bill for the first term very soon. I will just email them. 

Once my DD reached Upper School, I had to pay for her singing lessons.  I was charged the same price the teacher charged the school for Lower School lessons covered by the MDS of £16.75 per lesson, if that helps at all with your planning.  I would guess there would be a slightly increase for the coming year though.