RBS JA questions

xanthe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd got a flat 'no' for JA's for yr5 entry, then a yes for yr6 entry after auditioning again a year later. Followed by a waitlist place for Mids for yr 7, which didn't come to anything, followed by another waitlist place for yr8, which has!! She's always enjoyed the auditions, and fortunately hasn't ever been upset at the no's/not quites etc.

It's always worth a try, as long as your dd's happy, and understands what a long shot it all is. ( which also means what an achievement it is to even get waitlist places) ☺️

I can see why you called yourself ‘Gowiththeflow’ :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Depends how much of a 'ballet eye' you have - last year I rashly decided to do my DDs and by photo 3 was inwardly cursing trying to get the poses look right! This year her ballet teacher is doing them :)

Well...I thought I had a good 'ballet eye' but these photos are testing me. I think I've done a good job until I look at them and see arms/hands/feet all in the wrong places! By photos 5 & 6 DD has got bored and won't stand still and pulls silly faces ???? - am beginning to understand why teachers do them. Problem is teacher really busy and stressed out with approaching exams so any advice gratefully appreciated (especially for photo 6!) x

I wouldn't worry too much about the photos. My daughter struggled with the arabesque pose. She hasn't done this yet, she is grade 1. Her teacher took the photos and said they were more for reference as everyone gets an audition. My dd held onto a chair whilst her teacher helped her with the pose then quickly took it away whilst i quickly took the photos, trying to catch it before her balance went!

• Like 1

Thanks princessballerina. That arabesque pose is giving us the same problems for the same reason - she is grade 1 too. Is that a lack of strength or balance thing, or just because they haven't come across it yet in class? Will try the chair trick!

My tricks for the arabesque monster photo....

Start in first position

Prepare the arms

Get someone to hold their hand

Use tummy muscles

Then slowly keeping everything still take the leg back to arabesque remembering big toe on the floor

When they are balanced let go of hand and take multiple photos AS FAST AS YOU CAN until they fall over

Its so so hard!

• Like 3

Hi, I'm a first timer here so hope I'm not asking something that's been asked repeatedly. I did have a look around but might have missed it. Anyway....

My DD auditioned last year for RBS JA and was put on the waiting list - ultimately though, it didn't come to anything. I'm wondering whether to apply again this year, DD really wants to.

She's currently in Year 5 (moving into Year 6 in September). Does this make it even less likely that her application would be successful? Are there even fewer places for this age?

It was all totally new to me last year when her dance teacher suggested she apply and from what I gather she did very well to get on the waiting list. I don't want to set her up for a fall, this year, if it's virtually guaranteed that she will be unsuccessful but don't really know how it all works.

Thank you.

Worked for us! So worth trying!

Edited by Hopeful????

My tricks for the arabesque monster photo....

Start in first position

Prepare the arms

Get someone to hold their hand

Use tummy muscles

Then slowly keeping everything still take the leg back to arabesque remembering big toe on the floor

When they are balanced let go of hand and take multiple photos AS FAST AS YOU CAN until they fall over

Its so so hard!

Thanks Bluebird, I'll give this a go. As princessballerina says, it's so difficult for them if they've never done it before, too many things to remember all at once!