RBS JA questions

xanthe

In a similar position to you Princessballerina. DD2 wants to try but has not got the long limbs and short back physique, quite the opposite!

It's frustrating because DD1 has always had the longest legs, short back, long neck etc but didn't want to do it (audition for extra classes that is, even though she loves dance) and DD2 who has more strength, flexibility, musicality etc etc does not have the same physique.

On the live q&a RBS did recently they said at JA level they weren't so fussed on shape as it can change so much later on but do they in reality select the long-limbed over others?

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know LoobyLou i watched that. He did mention they take all different heights but didn't really mention physique, only that it was an aesthetic art.

It was my dd teacher that said they have a tick box and she wouldn't get the ticks for long limbs, long neck and short body. She is petite and in proportion all over.

Maybe they can't discriminate 'officially' a certain body type? Many have said their dc don't have these proportions and have got in so i think it is worth a go if they want to try.

• Like 1

I was very brave (I know.. I'm pathetic!) and asked DD's teacher about putting her in for the JA... and the answer has been that they are very supportive of the students attending their extra classes applying for associate programmes, as long as they are aware of the odds and able to handle the almost inevitable disappointment. Hooray, such a relief as I would hate to feel that I'd upset the teacher over it, or that I'd managed to pick a school where they weren't keen to encourage the children to try things.

On the physique question, I've spent a lot of time looking at the kids in the backgrounds of videos from the RBS - it seems like there's a big mix of heights, and I did think the body shapes looked like a variation. Then I watched some videos from other schools and whereas places like the Vaganova Academy were all identikit (short back/long limbs), a lot of the others were far more varied compared with RBS. 

I imagine they have an 'ideal' list and then things alter depending on who they have in front of them and gorgeous feet might offset a shorter neck, and someone who has that 'x' factor that makes you have to watch them might get a pass on having body and limbs more in proportion. I guess you'd have to be on the panel to know what makes them say yay or nay.

DD has the short body, long legs and high arches, but her neck doesn't look particularly long to me and she's can't do splits or anything like that - she has a dancing cousin of the same age who has a long body and short limbs but can effortlessly put her body in positions that bring tears to my eyes! 

It's really tough in performing arts and so often not because of what a child can or can't do. I know casting directors who bring a height stick to auditions and once you hit the 4ft 4" or whatever the limit is, you aren't even seen. I know of boys who have got roles in the WE after months of callbacks and then had to leave while the show is still in the rehearsal stages because their voices have broken. 

• Like 2

Dear all, as I have said before... You cannot second guess. There is no perfect body they are looking for esp for JAs as they grow and change so much. It is all on potential at that age - and we can all usually pick out 1 lovely dancer out of a group. However when you get to the final auditions and you have got the best of the best auditioning....personally i think it is on luck. White Lodge can only take 12 girls/12 boys and if they have 15 girls they want to take, then 3 will be disappointed. So let DC audition but they have to know in reality the chance of getting JAS/MAs/SAS or vocational places are very limited and prepare for disappointment. Just enjoy the experience, and maybe... DC will get a positive result. Xx

• Like 1

My DD was a JA for three years and her class was very varied in height , shape and proportions , however they did all have that special something . Now she is at vocational school and whilst they are definately more similar in physique they're still most definately not clones. With some huge height differents. I used to worry about my daughter being particularly small and not having the desired sway back leg line but it appears that the things I was worried about are definately not a must have necessity , I think artistry seems to be considered heavily too .My DD absolutely loved her time as a JA and we both made some life long friends along the way too.Best of luck to all you DC xx

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on the JA forms....

There's an option to select a second choice should the first choice not be available. Does this just mean that you can select two separate venues - i.e. Bath as second choice should London not be available, or can you select London 32 weeks as first choice and London 24 weeks as second choice?

Flowerpot, I feel your pain. DD2 got SWL last year too and in a moment of madness I enquired as to the timings of the Saturday classes in Eastleigh, in case it was worth being added to the waitlist for that centre too. In the end I realised it was logistically impossible, as DD1 already attends a different Associates Scheme in London every Saturday, but I did feel it was a bit unfair and so I could feel better, convinced myself that a place wouldn't come up at Eastleigh anyway and if it did, DD2 wouldn't have been the chosen one anyway ????.

Both times my dd was on SWL for MA's we had a phone call from RBS asking if we'd consider going to another centre, even though we'd only put one choice down on our forms. First time round a fellow JA did accept a place at the 'other' centre, but we politely declined.

Same happened last year, although we were then offered a place at our chosen centre.

I think what i'm trying to say, is that if they decide it's your (Dd's) lucky day, and a place comes up at a different centre, they will offer it to you, even if you only put 1 centre down.

Sorry, that seemed really long winded- hope i made sense! ????

• Like 4

I've done a mixture. When my DD auditoned for JAs 3 years ago we did the pictures with her teacher. The following year for WL and MAs I did at home and then last year I did some in our garden and some with her MAs teacher. This year I did them with her new teacher but we then didn't use them as unexpectedly came off the audition trail. They use them more as a reminder for JAs whereas the summer school's selection is made from the photos. Good luck with it all

Yes, you don't want to upset a ballet teacher! Was planning just to take them at home - is that what most people do or do teachers do them in studio?

Depends how much of a 'ballet eye' you have - last year I rashly decided to do my DDs and by photo 3 was inwardly cursing trying to get the poses look right! This year her ballet teacher is doing them :)

Hi, I'm a first timer here so hope I'm not asking something that's been asked repeatedly. I did have a look around but might have missed it. Anyway....

My DD auditioned last year for RBS JA and was put on the waiting list - ultimately though, it didn't come to anything. I'm wondering whether to apply again this year, DD really wants to.

She's currently in Year 5 (moving into Year 6 in September). Does this make it even less likely that her application would be successful? Are there even fewer places for this age?

It was all totally new to me last year when her dance teacher suggested she apply and from what I gather she did very well to get on the waiting list. I don't want to set her up for a fall, this year, if it's virtually guaranteed that she will be unsuccessful but don't really know how it all works.

Thank you.

There has indeed been lots of discussion on this. Those cleverer than I can point you to relevant threads which are now pages long so might be prudent to make yourself comfy with a drink and biscuits..

My ds was on waiting list for year 5, successfully reauditioned for year 6 and then got a place at White Lodge.

That's some years ago, he has since had a career and retired but I know it still happens.

You have to be in it to win it.

There again, be careful what you wish for!

• Like 1

In my daughters JA class they have seemed to let slightly more year 6s in than in any other year. In years 4 and 5 the children have classes with a roughly equal split of year 4 and 5 children (so about 7/8 of each year group in a class of 15) but in year 6 it's a purely a year 6 class, so there's a lot of new spaces that come available for yr 6 children (approx 7/8 dependant on how many existing yr 5s there are) I'd definitely reapply.

In my daughters JA class there's as many new year 6s than existing JAs although I imagine these numbers change slightly every year with each cohort xx

Edited to change typo and clarity

Edited by Balletmummy55
  • Like 1

My dd got a flat 'no' for JA's for yr5 entry, then a yes for yr6 entry after auditioning again a year later. Followed by a waitlist place for Mids for yr 7, which didn't come to anything, followed by another waitlist place for yr8, which has!! She's always enjoyed the auditions, and fortunately hasn't ever been upset at the no's/not quites etc.

It's always worth a try, as long as your dd's happy, and understands what a long shot it all is. ( which also means what an achievement it is to even get waitlist places) ☺️

• Like 6