Mouseys mum

Royal Ballet School SS

As I am watching this topic I must say that you guys are extremely patient! We are in US and here most of the kids are committed to their summer programs by the middle of February. The programs would not allow you to delay the answer for so long!

Hello,

Can anyone who has attended before comment on the quality of the program for the White Lodge 10-12 age range?  Is it challenging, pointe work every day, etc?  Also, is the summer school used to sometimes extend offers for the year round program?  I realize there have already been year round auditions/offers - just wondering if the summer offers this possibility.

Thanks! 

If they were inundated with applicants each paying £25 then by my basic grasp of economics they have enough in kitty to pay for decent email merge software/extra few hours of staffing/temp/outsource to outside communications agency etc to ensure a deadline is hit !!

• Like 6

Viviangrace they do make offers for the main school from SS. I can't comment on pointe work as dd never been but most in UK don't go en pointe until 11/12. It certainly isn't expected in those starting vocational school at 11...

email has just come through.We are on the Waiting list along with everyone else it seems!!!! at least we have been put out of our misery

• Like 3

If they were inundated with applicants each paying £25 then by my basic grasp of economics they have enough in kitty to pay for decent email merge software/extra few hours of staffing/temp/outsource to outside communications agency etc to ensure a deadline is hit !!

Friends whose DD applied for a Youth Theatre programme got an email about midnight once...surely that's got to be some email programme and not a poor human being inputting all the data. Saying that...please don't all wait up.

Just received a no. Oh well. ..like I said before. ..at least behind the settee got a good hoover when we took the photos. Never again...will be getting professional ones next year!!

• Like 1

yes ours send 20.15pm can't imagine some poor person is still there.hoglett have you heard??

It's a no. :-(

Mine was sent 4.13 pm Central European Time. A friend of mine, who is in the Waitlist, received her mail one hour later.

Three years ago my daughter was waitlisted and called after the acceptance deadline so... finger crossed everyone!

• Like 1

Just received a no. Oh well. ..like I said before. ..at least behind the settee got a good hoover when we took the photos. Never again...will be getting professional ones next year!!

sorry to hear that hoglett - onwards and upwards

Jarthrell pob is great . You have landed on your feet so don't let your dd regret rbs! If you are doing pob instead imo you are missing nothing.....

£67,350 to be precise!

• Like 1

Shhhhhh....they will all start charging just to apply!!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 1

I'm just curious if the odds of getting in increase if you provide your own housing since spots in the dorm must be limited? Was there a spot to check on the application no housing needed?

I'm just curious if the odds of getting in increase if you provide your own housing since spots in the dorm must be limited? Was there a spot to check on the application no housing needed?

It didn't increase our chances , dd could have stayed with family although not ideal travelling in everyday she would have endured it.......We , well that should say I was desperate to visit WL and would have pitched a tent in Richmond Park if needed ;)

I wasn't quite as put out when it was SWL for Floral St as dd has been many times.

• Like 2

£67,350 to be precise!

Hmmm, can't help feeling a little cynical seeing this. 

The RBS certainly earns a decent income from the summer school application fees. To be fair, though, they seem to be adept at selecting candidates from consideration of the photos and application forms in that I don't remember ever reading that the classes at summer school were populated with students of wildly varying ability and technique (other than reading that some of the overseas students were breathtakingly advanced!). Somehow the RBS does seem to get it right in their allocation of places and this must be something that takes up quite a bit of time in terms of sifting the applications re age, then considering each one and placing into yes/no/waiting list 'piles' - and I would think that several members of staff are involved in this process. £25 per application doesn't seem way over the top in those circumstances - and don't other summer schools also charge for applications?

Some do some don't. When we were at JAS I felt they were a bit naughty in really pushing you all to apply to SS when so few got in and they virtually knew in advance who it would be..

I've always suspected that RBS charge a fee so that only those who are genuinely seriously interested will apply. Perhaps if they didn't charge, then they'd get so many applications from recreational dancers they'd be still looking at them at Christmas!

• Like 1

I agree most don't the other 51 but I did come across one just can't remember which!!

Some charge deposits! If you get in it is deducted from total amount! But as in our case, because of change of plan, we lost the deposit!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't RBS deduct the £25 from total if you get in!? I can't remember what happened when dd accepted in yr5.

Edited by Dancing unicorn