Royal Ballet School SS

Mouseys mum

Very excited that Dd has been offered a place at Covent Garden SS following her no result from finals. Unfortunately she will be unable to attend as it clashes with the Cechetti International Ballet Competition in Florence.

Good luck to those on the waiting list

Fabulous 'dilemma'.  Best of luck in Florence  :)

• Like 3

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do places ever come up off the waiting list for White Lodge SS? if they did when would you hear.Was going to book a different summer course & you have to pay!

We were offered a space for ds as late as the middle of June a few years ago. We had already signed up for another Summer course and so he ended up doing 2 that year - luckily they didn't clash. Was a very expensive summer though!! :o

• Like 2

Bumping Tuladancemom's post:

Tuladancemom, on 17 Mar 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:snapback.png

Hello:

Can anyone who has attended Covent Garden comment on housing options if the supervised lodging is not available? 

Thank you--

How old is the DC and will they be travelling / staying alone - or with an adult ? 

Have a look at university halls of residence in the central London area. You can do this on the "University Rooms" website. It's usually around £36 to £45 per night, bed and breakfast, with a shared bathroom. Some halls have kitchenettes where you can prepare a simple evening meal. 

Not luxurious, but absolutely fine for students. Safe and clean and central.

If you do the search I suggest, and cross-reference with an online map (Google maps responds to the postcodes, for example), you'll see. There are at least a dozen (if not more) halls - they house thousands of undergrads during term time. Mostly they are in Bloomsbury, and walking distance to Covent Garden. Twenty minutes or so. But if you're from the US (the "soccer" and the "mom" suggest that?) you may not be used to walking a mile or so in a city. So it's going to be up to you re what you're comfortable with. You could get the tube I suppose, or a bus.

Edited by Kate_N

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much--still waiting to hear about housing.  My son is 17 and will be traveling alone to London.  We live in a big city in the US and he walks to and from the train quite a distance daily to get to his year round training...so that's not an issue for us.

Has anyone received email update regarding housing? Or payment?  We completed the online acceptance  form right after receiving the offer but have not heard back.

Editing...I just double checked and we did receive email confirmation of completing acceptance form and that email indicated additional information would be sent out sometime in April--so I'll just be patient a while longer.

Thanks!

Edited by Tuladancemom

On 3/25/2017 at 08:52, Kate_N said:

Have a look at university halls of residence in the central London area. You can do this on the "University Rooms" website. It's usually around £36 to £45 per night, bed and breakfast, with a shared bathroom. Some halls have kitchenettes where you can prepare a simple evening meal. 

Not luxurious, but absolutely fine for students. Safe and clean and central.

Lovely idea, however, words of warning from a mum who has done her research. If others are thinking the same for their child this summer (16/17yrs) Do your reserach carefully. On looking closely I found that if the student is under 18 there are many Halls out of bounds . These Halls have their own licensed bar on the premises. Even though the younger student would not be entering the bar itself, their rules dictate that the under 18's can't stay. I tried that, still declined even when I said that I would be a chaperone for my teenager, (I'm a tad old for uni living, lol) just a mum trying to keep the costs to a min. Good Luck

Edited by balletbean

If you search, you may find a thread on accommodation for Under 18s.  I had some very helpful responses trying to find rooms for my 16 year old musical DD.

We have found that if you ask the hosts, many Air BnB will accept 16/17 year olds.  It's worked incredibly well for me, preferable to hotels.  Premier Inn and the Youth Hostel Association both accept 16+ students, although yhA ask under 18s stay in a dorm room.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

My DD are attending the White Lodge SS.  I have a few questions about attire.

Can any color or style leotard be worn?

Regarding the National Character skirt....We have only taken Russian character dancing.  (We are traveling from abroad).  Is the National Character skirt black with 3 various colored stain ribbons sewn onto the bottom?  I've seen some online for sale with ribbon colors that are blues, pinks, etc.  Is this the correct skirt?  

We own plain solid black character skirts, but not a "National" one and I wasn't exactly sure what that was.

Also, our character shoes are Russian style.  Would this be acceptable?
Thanks!

• Like 1

Any character skirt and shoes are acceptable.The majority had the black one you describe with horizontal satin ribbons around the bottom but not everyone.I'm sure a plain black one would be fine .

You should have received an email containing a summer school handbook on payment of the fees. There is information about ballet uniform within.Generally any classical style leotard in any colour is fine for classes during the week with a plain black one for the performance at the end of Summer school.My DD took a whole rainbow of different colours some of which had fancier details than her usual class leotards .

• Like 1

Does anyone know if attending the two-week summer program at WL improves a student's chances of being accepted to the upper school the following summer?  My DK just came off the waitlist, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the extra expenses (additional to tuition) required to rework our schedule and travel plans.  I guess I am wondering if everyone starts at square one each year, or if prior attendance ups one's chances in subsequent years (since they can actually evaluate technique rather than just go by photos).

Edited by dancemom2

Thank you, taxi4ballet. We're in the U.S., so DD has spent many January & February weekends auditioning for various US-based summer programs.   I'm wondering specific to future RBS acceptance.  She was first waitlisted, so obviously not first choice.  I'd like to get a feel for whether attending (or not) this summer will affect her chances of being accepted again in the future.  

Hi Dancemom2 -  unfortunately no one has a crystal ball. If your dd catches their eye then she will be on their radar - however, everyone who applies to US gets an audition - it's how she performs on that day and at finals that is the decider irrespective of whether she has attended summer school or for that matter full time at Whitelodge. If she comes it will be 2 weeks of fantastic training ,if she doesn't come it won't be held against her. Good luck with your decision.

Dancemom2 my opinion (and only my opinion based on our experiences with RBS) is that a place at SS will not increase her chances of a place at Upper School, neither does being an associate or having any prior connection with the school unless you have been through the lower school.

Upper school places are few and far between and selection is based on how applicants perform on the day and at finals. This year at finals there were 30 candidates and only two offered places.

SS selection is made on the photo application and also appears fairly random. My DD, (very surprisingly to us as shes definitely been off their radar for years!) made finals for US this year but only got SS off the waiting list. She has been offered places at other top vocational schools this year but others who haven't were selected for SS over her initially. 

I'd say if you are offered SS grab it if you can for the wonderful experience, but not a deal breaker if you can't make it. 

Edited by Loulabelle