Royal Ballet School SS

Mouseys mum

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jane is giving sound advice about not putting all your eggs in one basket - there are loads of Summer Schools to choose from.

I have added a couple of tags to your post.  If you click on the "holiday courses" tag you will get a list of loads of previous threads to peruse and that will give you some ideas.

Here is a recent thread about the RBS SS: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/13583-royal-summer-school-2017-four-week-programme-this-year/

And I would like to add a belated welcome to the Forum Mouseys Mum!

• Like 1

Hi, yes, my dd did it last year and loved it. My tip would be on choosing week factor in for end of term tiredness. My dd did week 1, but on hindsight I would of picked week 2 as she hadn't broken up from school yet and the week before at school was up til 10 at night 3 nights in her year 6 leavers school show.

To make the most of this amazing opportunity pick a week if possible she won't be doing loads at school the week before, stuff like shows you may not have thought about, but can be tiring. My dd will never forget her week there, she loved every second! This year thankfully my dd breaks up the first week of July. So we've applied for the 1st week, as she'll have a week and a half break before to recharge her batteries. She is also 12. Wishing you the best of luck.

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

It’s a bit like buying a lottery ticket Mousey’s Mum. Chances are very slim, but got to be in it to win it. There has been much discussion on photos, and how RB select based on them. Taking them from a seated position makes them look better. Also, using ‘photo bursts’ on your camera then choosing the best one. YBSS is also a very difficult to get onto SS and they have changed their application requirements this year - no more photos, instead you have to upload a 3 minute video of dancing including specified exercises/steps. That would seem to be a better/fairer way of selection to me. There are lots of really good first-come-first-served SS’s too though (see thread on 2016 summer school feedback), so I definitely agree with Jane - it’s good to have a plan b already in mind to present to your dd in case of disappointment. My dd was wait-listed for RB SS last year and ended up doing The Hammond one instead and absolutely loved it. This year our back-up is BalletWest. Good luck!

• Like 2

We are also planning on Ballet West,although the thought of getting DD there is rather daunting RBS SS would be so much easier.

I must admit that Ballet West can be top of the list as THE most challenging of Ballet Schools to get to but the effort is well worth it. My daughter felt like one of the family, so caring to all students of all ages. Mixing with those students training for the Genee was very inspiring.

We hired a car after flying up to Scotland and enjoyed the most stunning scenery en route.( took longer than google maps stated as we kept stopping to enjoy the scenery! Absolutely breathtaking) I do know that BW can offer a pickup/dropoff service from the train station, if arranged in advance.

My first taste of Scotland and looking forward to the return trip. :)  

PS To be fair on RBS, Covent Garden isn't exactly easy either. Having experienced Covent Garden tube station without luggage was a challenge in its self, let alone a dancer for a 1/2 weeks stay with all her belongings!! ;) They do not travel light, bless them. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

PS To be fair on RBS, Covent Garden isn't exactly easy either. Having experienced Covent Garden tube station without luggage was a challenge in its self, let alone a dancer for a 1/2 weeks stay with all her belongings!!  ;) They do not travel light, bless them. 

That surprises me balletbean, we find it very easy, even when there's a big event going on in London?

PS To be fair on RBS, Covent Garden isn't exactly easy either. Having experienced Covent Garden tube station without luggage was a challenge in its self, let alone a dancer for a 1/2 weeks stay with all her belongings!! ;) They do not travel light, bless them. 

We never go via Covent Garden tube station and its horrid claustrophobia- inducing lifts! Its just as quick to go to Leicester Square and walk down Longacre.

Thank you, I also find it so claustrophobic having attempted that station at Christmas time without luggage was enough to reduce to to a wreck. Trains are not my thing at the best of times. I shall definitely take the walk in future. With or without luggage    ;)

That would be me!!   :P

I used to be the same balletbean, but you soon learn all the tricks after a few go's. We don't usually have much time to get back to Kings X, unless we get the later train, so it's get your foot down time. We have tried it from Leicester Square, but although the tube station is better, it does take a little longer. No problem if you have plenty of time.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar problem and just went back in the next day and all was fine.  If not give them a  call they are really helpful.

Hi, Just wondering if you were using a Lloyds card to make a payment. 

I had an issue with my card, totally unrelated to RBS but still related to a school. Maybe a bank IT issue rather than RBS?!

Hopefully all sorted by now :)  

• Like 1

Thanks TooTu - all sorted and confirmation received - I have just been back to check e-mail!

We have been looking at alternatives as the chances of an offer are so slim.  I was surprise to see that many summer schools are so early - before DD has finished.  Are they aimed at those at vocational school who have already broken up for the summer?  I am looking for something to give DD something different but those I have seen that fit our dates only ask for a few years ballet experience and I am worried that they wont "challenge" - I don't like using that word but can't think how else to describe what we are looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks TooTu - all sorted and confirmation received - I have just been back to check e-mail!

We have been looking at alternatives as the chances of an offer are so slim.  I was surprise to see that many summer schools are so early - before DD has finished.  Are they aimed at those at vocational school who have already broken up for the summer?  I am looking for something to give DD something different but those I have seen that fit our dates only ask for a few years ballet experience and I am worried that they wont "challenge" - I don't like using that word but can't think how else to describe what we are looking for.

That's great you got it sorted out & confirmed. I agree the chances are slim & we too are looking for alternatives for dd. I have read others on the forum recommending Ballet West & Opes before so we are looking at those. Also dd was looking at the masters of ballet summer intensive in London & liked the idea of it but finding affordable accommodation in London for a week might not be easy. I also prefer residential summer schools because you know what you are paying whereas the non residential if you are not local costs like accommodation, travel & eating out quickly add up too

• Like 1

Thanks TooTu.  The last week of Ballet West four weeks of SS is the same as RBS second week and would work as alternative but we couldn't make any of the earlier weeks.  Thanks for suggesting OPES - their middle week might work for us.  I agree that residential is best if you can afford it and for me I would need some type of holiday activity anyway so might as well be dance as DD has outgrown most other holiday clubs she used to attend.  Masters of Ballet looks good - slight clash of dates but worth looking at - just hope the video audition doesn't put us off and also although DD is doing G6 she is not yet on pointe.  Deep breath - it is only January - I don't have time to think summer!  Good luck with whatever your DD does.

Edited by Newdancermum

Thanks TooTu.  The last week of Ballet West four weeks of SS is the same as RBS second week and would work as alternative but we couldn't make any of the earlier weeks.  Thanks for suggesting OPES - their middle week might work for us.  I agree that residential is best if you can afford it and for me I would need some type of holiday activity anyway so might as well be dance as DD has outgrown most other holiday clubs she used to attend.  Masters of Ballet looks good - slight class of dates but worth looking at - just hope the video audition doesn't put is off and also although DD is doing G6 she is not yet on pointe.  Deep breath - it is only January - I don't have time to think summer!  Good luck with whatever your DD does.

Thanks Newdancermum & good luck to your dd too. It does feel very early to be thinking about Summer doesn't it. The first week of the Masters of Ballet might work for us as an alternative if I can find some reasonable accommodation either nearby or within commuting distance.. now off to look at the requirements for the video audition