The Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty performances, 2016-2017

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sad too because I have enjoyed reading all the posts so much. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to post very often but I have learnt so much reading all the posts. I can only manage to see one cast per programme and I feel the posts have helped me to imagine more! The posts set me off to utube and I have spent many happy hours looking at Lilac Fairies et al! However the delicacy, precision and expressiveness of Fonteyn brought back so many happy Aurora memories. This popped up in my search.

I am looking forward to all contributions on new programmes!

• Like 4

The same with her 'twootly Fairy's too. Just fantastic dancing!

:lol:

Made me laugh.  Maybe they could use names such as this another time?  Tootly Fairy, Finger Fairy,.......I can't remember the other variations well enough to give them a name.  Isn't there a Leggy Fairy?  At least then I would know who everyone was talking about.  

• Like 2

I refer to "Finger Fairy" as "Pointy Fairy", myself! (However, that does make her seem, well, pointy as in angular, a pointy shape!)

Whilst I'm here, I was at tonight's show. I just want to mention Sambé's beautiful Bluebird. Truly gave the impression of floating and fluttering through the air at times. Beautiful work, and doubtless the fruit of intense application. Bravo!

• Like 6

I agree Nick, Sambe has been wonderful in the role throughout this run. I was interested to read the positive comments about Reece Clark and am sad I missed him in this role. I have always associated it with shorter dancers so am pleased to hear the choreography worked on a tall one as well!

• Like 2

Fine last night last night (within limits: apart from the impeccable principals I have some reservations) but I have a tiny question. I spent a bit of time looking through binoculars in the prologue at the gifts the pages bring in on cushions Most were clear enough, but the first fairy turns up with what to me looked like an oyster. What is it - and why?

It is possible that there are descriptions in the programme or else it is something obvious I am just too stupid to get, so help would be appreciated.

The 2016/17 RB run of Sleeping Beauty is now over. I'm exhausted, so goodness knows how the dancers must be feeling.

So, in case anyone from the Royal Ballet reads BCF, thank you to everyone involved for a feast of treats. I cannot remember a series of performances before which has included so much wonderful dancing from all levels of the Company. Established stars have wowed us, rising stars have confirmed just why they are in the ascendancy; and yet more amazing talent has emerged to delight us.

Thank you again  :)

• Like 12

I couldn't agree more Capybara - and also many thanks to the Forum for such an interesting thread which has so helped illuminate the performances.

Dare I possibly ask who folk might wish to see as Aurora next time Sleeping Beauty is revived? I've so enjoyed the debuts this time and I'm very much hoping that Anna Rose will get her chance - she's been an absolute delight in all her roles this time.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more Capybara - and also many thanks to the Forum for such an interesting thread which has so helped illuminate the performances.

Dare I possibly ask who folk might wish to see as Aurora next time Sleeping Beauty is revived? I've so enjoyed the debuts this time and I'm very much hoping that Anna Rose will get her chance - she's been an absolute delight in all her roles this time.

As I've mentioned to O'Hare previously, I'd like to see O'Sullivan as Swanhilda first...

• Like 1

But I just want to comment how continually impressed as was at Meaghan Grace Hinkis. Her Florine was almost Bluebird rather than princess, inasmuch as it was vital, airy and beautiful. I wrote on Twitter how impressed I was at her attack, precision and poised. The same with her 'twootly Fairy's too. Just fantastic dancing!

I really love her too, in everything I've seen her in so far. I also enjoyed watching her in the classes on World Ballet Days.

Personally I'd love to see Claire Calvert, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Fumi Kaneko, Mayara Magri and Anna Rose O'Sullivan all take on Aurora in the next few years. 

• Like 4

Personally I'd love to see Claire Calvert, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Fumi Kaneko, Mayara Magri and Anna Rose O'Sullivan all take on Aurora in the next few years. 

Hello Stella and welcome out of the lurking shadows.  I hope that now you have broken the posting ice you will continue to join in.

• Like 3