Midland Theatre Ballet - Auditions for 2017/18 Season

pas de chat

Just seen Midland Theatre Ballet have released their auditions for their next production, Beauty and The Beast, how exciting!! My DD did it a few years ago and loved every minute, I would highly recommend it if anyone lives in the Midlands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi hoglett.

From what I remember last year they are split into four groups, normally age relevant. Level 1 age 7-9, level 2 age 10-11, level 3 age 12-14, level 4 age 15+. Although there also can be movement between the groups depending on ability too.

Hope that helps. The lady in the office is really helpful for any questions you have xx

Hi hoglett.

From what I remember last year they are split into four groups, normally age relevant. Level 1 age 7-9, level 2 age 10-11, level 3 age 12-14, level 4 age 15+. Although there also can be movement between the groups depending on ability too.

Hope that helps. The lady in the office is really helpful for any questions you have xx

Thanks...do they audition again then in the final?

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has literally just Turned 7 and is progressing (well admittedly) through rad grade 1 so she's I would imagine One of the least experienced dancers auditioned. We are delighted however she has been called back for finals on April 2nd. Her dance teacher however is skeptics about the project and seems to think virtually all who audition will be cast as it's in her opinion an easy way to gain the termly fees and whilst DD is so young it might not be worth our money. Does anyone know what the cast/audition ratio is? Is it worth the time and money for such a newbie dancer? Xx

• Like 1

My daughter has never taken part in this project but I know of several young dancers of varying ages who have.

To be perfectly frank I am usually one of the most sceptical people out when it comes to this type of scheme but the dancers I know who have taken part without exception feel that they got so much out of it.

I personally would not care what the ratio of children accepted is (though the dancers I know of who take part are all serious, vocationally minded young people), I would se it as an opportunity to gain tuition & experience from excellent teachers.

One young lady I know of was a nice little dancer at a local ballet school. She joIned MTB & we lost touch. I saw her dance again about a year later & the difference was incredible. I heard that she was offered a place at vocational school but sadly no funding. Her mother put a lot of her improvement down to this company.

Edited by theother51

It certainly does seem to be expensive - but then there are classes and rehearsals every week, pretty much. The teaching staff are good, and it's a great opportunity to take class and rehearse with other young dancers week in, week out, in lovely facilities with a pianist. I have heard that the classes are big, and for some students they spend a lot of time sitting around in rehearsals depending on their role (but that can happen in any rehearsal situation - and I personally think students can learn a lot from watching, but they get bored I suppose, and if I was a parent paying a lot of money I'm not sure I'd be too happy about that....). Doing a performance is great, especially if the students don't have exposure to that through festivals or other shows.

Like any performance-based programme, there are going to be costs, commitment, benefits, pitfalls etc - parents should make up their own minds on balancing these out. 

I can absolutely confirm that there have been some "no's" as my friends DD is one of them. They physically couldn't take everyone through or they'd have a cast of 200+

As for the groups, they are generally between 20-25 per age group (four groups).

Have nothing but praise for MTB my daughter improved hugely in her time with them.

Re: sitting around, this is generally when doing full run throughs leading up to the show which you would expect with any company preparing a full length ballet. My DD never complained, always taking in homework or some quiet entertainment.

Mumofthree feel free to message me if you want to chat.

• Like 1

Our DS also performed/trained with MTB and we again have nothing but praise for their teaching and quality of final production. We firmly believe it gave our DS valuable extra tuition prior to him auditioning for the vocational schools. He made it to all four finals with offers from two schools and we really feel MTB played a large part in building his confidence. It is a fairly big commitment especially in the last term - but well worth it & we would thoroughly recommend them. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, just wondering if anyone has further insights to the MTB production...my DD has been invited in for an audition trial in sept for a space that's become available, if anyone taking part already has any advice that would be great. Also the fees, is that a full term cost or from start to half term? Looks a great opportunity!

On 23/07/2017 at 11:58, hoglett said:

Moreexcited. ..the fees are for the whole year. 

Does anybody know when the students will find out their roles? Do they have emails over the summer or have to wait until September?  Thanks in advance.

Hoglett, they normally get given their roles on the first or second week back in an envelope. X 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...