Local and National Places to go.

Fiz

Would this be a good idea? I thought we could list local places to take our dcs or ourselves. Lincoln and Lincolnshire - Lincoln Cathedral and castle, the Bishop 's Palace, Steep Hill, the Guildhall, Woodside Wildlife Park, Donna Nook seal sanctuary and that's off the top of my head. Oh, and Doddington Hall, Belton House, Burleigh House, Woolsthorpe Manor (Sir Isaac Newton's old home), Gainsborough Old Hall, Grimsthorpe Castle and Tattershall Castle.

• Like 1

I must confess that I don't know your city as well as I might, Fiz, but I have seen some good shows by Ballet Cymru at the Lincoln Performing Arts Centre, I have spoken at the University conference centre and had a great meal in the chapter house.

Further afield there is Grantham with St Wulfram's church and its great spire, the grammar school that Sir Isaac Newton attended, the house in which Lady Thatcher was born (whatever one thinks of her politics and I appreciate that she is a very controversial figure  she was still our Prime Minister for 11 years and led her party to three consecutive election wins which is an achievement) and the Beehive pub where they use a beehive with live bees for a pub sign. They also have the Gravity Fields science festival every other year. Finally, I forgot to mention that Grantham is the hometown of Chantry Dance.

In my Holmfirth where I have lived for over 30 years we have the locations of the well-known TV series, Last of the Summer Wine,  which I never watched. We have some beautiful heathland (particularly in late summer), Holme Moss (a hill that commands breathtaking views of large parts of Yorkshire and Derbyshire,) the West Nab (another hill), a rather charming parish church, lots of pretty villages with curious names like Paris which is pronounced Pair-is, two lovely 18th century Quaker meeting house in Wooldale and High Flatts where I worship occasionally, some fine old pubs, lots of farm shops and a vineyard. We have a film festival, folk festival, food festival and arts festival every year and, best of all, we are only 25 miles from my birthplace Manchester which in my impartial opinion is the best city in England if not the world.

Don't get me started on what Manchester has to offer but we have the Museum of Science and Industry, a C of E and an RC cathedral, a test cricket ground, lots of football clubs including City and United, many great universities, many great museums, many great theatres with some unique collections, great restaurants and, of course, the Northern Ballet School with its Dancehouse Theatre where I  have danced occasionally. I could go on.  Beats Leeds and Liverpool into cocked hats!

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 2

Would this be a good idea? I thought we could list local places to take our dcs or ourselves. Lincoln and Lincolnshire - Lincoln Cathedral and castle, the Bishop 's Palace, Steep Hill, the Guildhall, Woodside Wildlife Park, Donna Nook seal sanctuary and that's off the top of my head. Oh, and Doddington Hall, Belton House, Burleigh House, Woolsthorpe Manor (Sir Isaac Newton's old home), Gainsborough Old Hall, Grimsthorpe Castle and Tattershall Castle.

Fiz, this is brilliant, due to be in Lincolnshire next summer for a week so you have helped with the things to do!! I heard there is a pony sanctuary near there too, is it worth a visit with kids?

• Like 1

Manchester wise, we love the local National Trust places which are great for all the family. Strictly Cheshire not Manchester but my family live North of the town centre but when we visit it takes less time to get to these places than it does to travel into central London from the suburbs... Dunham Massey has lots of kids activities, actors pretending to be staff in the house, beautiful deer park and the deer come so close to you... Also love Tatton Park for the playground, farm and Ronald Dahl themed activities.

• Like 1

It's only a short ride to Kingston Upon Hull too, UK City of Culture 2017. :)

• Like 1

If you are anywhere near by do go and see the Seals at Donna Nook - it's quite a sight.  Currently over 2,000 seals in residence and so close to shore it's unbelievable.

http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/donna-nook/weekly-update

My favourite town is Woodhall Spa.  Whilst it may be a little cold for the outdoor pool, they do have fantastic midnight swims at various points of the season (this year one was preceded by a showing of Jaws!)  The Kinema in the Wood is well worth a visit, particularly for a Saturday night performance with the organist always playing for the last performance on a Saturday.

http://www.thekinemainthewoods.co.uk/

Oh, and don't forget the historic aircraft centre at East Kirkby, a Lancaster is being restored there, and other RAF related sites.

• Like 2

So Liverpool is very well located to explore the North West.

I am very fortunate to live close to Antony Gormley's Another Place installation on the beach.  It is glorious - never the same twice.

Apart from our magnificent buildings and 2 cathedrals in Liverpool City Centre we have the Albert Dock area and the Pier Head.  We have the Maritime Museum (incorporating the Slavery Museum, a Titanic exhibition area and the Customs Museum).  There is also Tate Liverpool and the Museum of Liverpool at the Albert Dock.

The buildings across the road from Lime Street Station are amazing - St George's Hall is open to the public and of course there is the Picton Library, the Walker Art Gallery and the Liverpool World Museum.  Liverpool has more listed buildings than anywhere else in England outside London.

We have the wonderful Art Deco Philharmonic Hall (and opposite the amazingly ornate Philharmonic Pub), the Everyman Theatre, The Unity, the Playhouse, the Empire and the Royal Court to name some of the venues in town.

Of course you can take a Ferry 'Cross the Mersey (proper ferry in the rush hour and tourist cruises during the day).

It's very easy to get to Southport, various places on the Wirral including Port Sunlight and the Lady Lever Art Gallery, Ness Gardens and, of course Chester.

Martin Mere WWT is only just beyond Ormskirk, in itself and interesting market town.

The Lowry in Salford is only just down the M62 - apart from the theatre there are the galleries and its location on the canals is spectacular.

I always think that Liverpool beats Manchester into a cocked hat!

• Like 3

We've been to Donna Nook twice this week, meadowblythe. It's absolutely magical. I might try to go again before the pup season ends and I'm definitely going again in the summer because I've been told that it is wonderful for birds and other wildlife plus flowers.

• Like 3

I love Yorkshire too.

My favourite place is Knaresborough, which I think has a very special atmosphere.  Saltaire near Bradford is an amazing place to visit too.  I love the vibrancy of Leeds with its Victorian arcades, The Armouries, a very fine art gallery & museum, Leeds Grand, The West Yorkshire Playhouse, Tropical World at Roundhay Park and, of course, it is the home of Northern Ballet.  The foyer area, including the cafe and a Planet Dance branch, is open to the public.

Another favourite place is Sunderland, a good city to explore the North East.  I find the Winter Gardens, attached to the museum, very tranquil and I love Mowbray Park.  There is a WWT at Washington too.

• Like 1

So Liverpool is very well located to explore the North West.

I am very fortunate to live close to Antony Gormley's Another Place installation on the beach.  It is glorious - never the same twice.

Apart from our magnificent buildings and 2 cathedrals in Liverpool City Centre we have the Albert Dock area and the Pier Head.  We have the Maritime Museum (incorporating the Slavery Museum, a Titanic exhibition area and the Customs Museum).  There is also Tate Liverpool and the Museum of Liverpool at the Albert Dock.

The buildings across the road from Lime Street Station are amazing - St George's Hall is open to the public and of course there is the Picton Library, the Walker Art Gallery and the Liverpool World Museum.  Liverpool has more listed buildings than anywhere else in England outside London.

We have the wonderful Art Deco Philharmonic Hall (and opposite the amazingly ornate Philharmonic Pub), the Everyman Theatre, The Unity, the Playhouse, the Empire and the Royal Court to name some of the venues in town.

Of course you can take a Ferry 'Cross the Mersey (proper ferry in the rush hour and tourist cruises during the day).

It's very easy to get to Southport, various places on the Wirral including Port Sunlight and the Lady Lever Art Gallery, Ness Gardens and, of course Chester.

Martin Mere WWT is only just beyond Ormskirk, in itself and interesting market town.

The Lowry in Salford is only just down the M62 - apart from the theatre there are the galleries and its location on the canals is spectacular.

I always think that Liverpool beats Manchester into a cocked hat!

I couldn't agree more Janet, in fact I booked another visit for mid January only last night. We stayed in Liverpool town centre for a couple of days only last week, and really enjoyed it. Some of the building are amazing, everything seems to have been built half as big again as it is in most cities. I hope not, but Albert Dock seems to be running down a little, a lot of empty shops etc, might be just the time of the year.

. I hope not, but Albert Dock seems to be running down a little, a lot of empty shops etc, might be just the time of the year.

Sadly, it has always been something of an issue there.  There was a shop in the Cavern Quarter years ago selling Japanese items.  I used to buy silk paper fans there.  They opened a branch at the Albert Dock and the fans were more than double the price; I asked why and was told it was because the rents were so much higher it was the only way they could afford to operate.  The shop only lasted about 6 months there.

Unfortunately, once ownership of places like this moves into private hands the owners tend to start charging the maximum rents that they feel they can get away with, hence the empty shops and chain stores. In Germany, local authorities try to protect small independent businesses by capping the rents in certain locations. In my area the local high streets still have a lot of independent shops, cafés etc but some do leave following huge rent increases and you get the impression that they are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Interestingly, the landlord in this case is the 'property arm' of a large public school.

Good idea for a thread.  I travel a lot abroad, but there are loads of cities in Britain that I have never visited, and I have made up my mind to have a short trip to at least one of them each year.

I went to Liverpool for the first time two years ago, and was amazed at what a handsome city it is.  We had a great time, and we even had splendid weather.  When we took a ferry across the Mersey, we got sun burnt! Well, who thinks to pack suntan lotion when you are going up north and rain is forecast?

I have never been to Manchester, so that is next on the list.  Edited to add I have never been to Sheffield, Hull, or Belfast either.  Any tips gratefully received!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

It's only a short ride to Kingston Upon Hull too, UK City of Culture 2017. :)

Not far from Hull is Beverley, an attractive market town with a beautiful minster. From there, you can get to the North Yorkshire coast which is stunning.

As is the East Sussex coast - my home turf - Beachy Head, Seven Sisters and numerous villages and towns set in wonderful countryside such as Rye, with the cobbled streets and the famous Mermaid and Winchelsea with its beach and countryside combi.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 4

I've been following this thread from afar. East and North Yorkshire are very dear to me.

I love Beverley Minster in all its gothic splendour. Nearby St Mary's Church has a pilgrim rabbit carved in stone; this rabbit is said to have been the model for Lewis Carroll's The White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland.

If you leave Beverley towards the west, beware the cows on Westwood as the road goes through common land ;)  A little later, the road drops steeply into the Vale of York, creating a marvellous view at dusk and on a clear day.

Taking a few day trips from Beverley - over in North Yorkshire, Howard Castle near Malton is just stunning. A little further north, near Helmsley, is Rievaulx Abbey, tucked away in a small valley in the North York Moors. My favourite drive through the moors is the road from Helmsley up north towards Middlesbrough. The road slowly climbs up a long valley, up to yet another viewpoint, before it drops steeply.

• Like 4

I've been following this thread from afar. East and North Yorkshire are very dear to me.

I love Beverley Minster in all its gothic splendour. Nearby St Mary's Church has a pilgrim rabbit carved in stone; this rabbit is said to have been the model for Lewis Carroll's The White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland.

If you leave Beverley towards the west, beware the cows on Westwood as the road goes through common land ;) A little later, the road drops steeply into the Vale of York, creating a marvellous view at dusk and on a clear day.

Taking a few day trips from Beverley - over in North Yorkshire, Howard Castle near Malton is just stunning. A little further north, near Helmsley, is Rievaulx Abbey, tucked away in a small valley in the North York Moors. My favourite drive through the moors is the road from Helmsley up north towards Middlesbrough. The road slowly climbs up a long valley, up to yet another viewpoint, before it drops steeply.

I love the North York Moors and coastline. Amazing little villages clinging to the edge of the sea.

York is a great place to visit with the Minster, museums, the shambles (tiny little shops and lanes) and the city walls. Oh and the railway museum.

Castle Howard is stunning stately home and there are a multitude of Castles and Abbeys to visit in the area that belong to English Heritage.

Dalby forest is a vast forest with walks and play parks, bike trails (and bike hire too) amazing walk to the Bridestones.. weathered and shaped rocks.

And then Whitby with the Abbey and harbour and not forgetting Scarborough.

• Like 3

Oh I forgot about The Museum Quarter, all free and very good. Next year should be a good time to visit, as there will be all sorts of things going on, with it being The UK City of Culture. It's obviously got a few downside areas, but haven't all major cities?

Edited by Vonrothbart
  • Like 1

Following my earlier post,if you like walks and a bit of sea air, try Cuckmere in East Sussex and Sands End in North Yorks which are also good for fossil hunting. I had two good finds which was exciting - for me at least, just keeping my eyes peeled, not actually digging or doing anything destructive to the landscape.

There was something rather thrilling about just being able to pick up the fossil of a creature that lived millions of years ago, from among countless pebbles. Gives you a sense of perspective along with being in a beautiful, almost unspoiled place.

• Like 4

Regarding fossil hunting - the whole of the north yorkshire coast is the 'Jurassic Coast' and some great finds have been made there. Scarborough Rotunda museum has a plesiosaur skeleton fossil that was found at Reighton, and whilst on the beaches there we have found lots of ammonites and belemnites, devils toenails, fossilised seaweed and more! All of these we have found just by poking around in the pebbles on the beach.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Have just read that the Chinese Warrior exhibition will be on again in some form in 2018, at the Liverpool World Museum. I would like to see it again and hope it will be better run than it was at the British Museum. The television documentary preceeding that event showed us the people in charge talking about the layout and the impact of reaching the top of the stairs, only to see some fabulous ancient artefact before your very eyes. Fine if you are one of those lucky people.

As I recall, when the exhibition opened, it was as expected, extremely popular . Your ticket worked on a time slot but it was so crowded most of the time, all you could see was other people's backs. People were going in but taking their time coming out.The stewards weren't much help moving people along. They didn't have to rush visitors, just try and avoid gridlock at the top of the stairs, but it all was a bit shambolic. One steward even suggested that we could start at the end of the exhibition where the crowds were thinner and work our way back,like seeing history in reverse. I also recall it being stifling hot.

I don't know what the Liverpool museum is like but I would go and see the warriors again, in a better organised,more visitor friendly environment.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I love the British Museum and I think the exhibitions are usually very well curated but I have found a few in the last couple of years to be ridiculously over-crowded to the extent that I have not enjoyed the exhibitions.

I was lucky with the Sunken Egypt exhibition and loved it so much I went to see it twice!

• Like 1

I've seen some super exhibitions there over the years.  I suppose it depends on where about they are going to lay it out.

The museum was expanded some years ago and I think it's really well laid out.  Obviously size-wise it is only a fraction of the size of the BM.  They've got a small but super Ancient Egyptian section.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/index.aspx

• Like 2

Thanks for the museum info Janet. I will look out for further developments on the terracotta geezers!

I remember my mother taking me to the British Museum in the 70s to see the Tutankhamun exhibition. We had to queue for hours to get in, but from what I can recall it was worth it, much more extensive than the more recent showing and not as crowded once inside the building. Although my memory may be playing tricks after all this time. All those people had to have gone somewhere!

I remember the queues even became newsworthy themselves, for their length and the time people were prepared to wait in them. Conversations were struck with other queuers, in that rather stilted way you find in such situations, where some people feel obliged to speak, some can't stop and others remain determinedly silent. It wasn't as though we didn't all know why we were there. It was more a case of have you come far and have you been waiting long? About as long as they had given we were at the same point in the queue!

I can't think of anything or anybody nowadays, I would go to that much effort to see.

Edited by Jacqueline

There are plenty of places to eat in Grand Central on top of New Street Station.  My favourite is Giraffe but there is everything from Yo Sushi to Carluccios too.

Things to do - the Museum and Art Gallery is rather splendid and I often used to eat in the cafe there too.  

If it's not raining, you could explore the canal network - you can get on near Symphony Hall (loads of eateries around there too) or by walking through the Mailbox shopping mall.

• Like 1