Sign in to follow this  
alison

ENB's Khan Giselle - would you buy a DVD? [NOW DVD released!]

ENB's Khan Giselle - would you buy a DVD?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a DVD of English National Ballet's new Giselle by Akram Khan, if there was one?

• Definitely
    • Maybe
    • No

I presume this is the one they filmed at Liverpool Empire on opening night 2017.

Excellent, timed just right for my birthday!  On casting, Stina Quagebeur was the essential for me - I saw a few performances of this and she was the standout.

• Like 3

On 29/01/2019 at 20:33, alison said:

Ask and ye shall receive, and all that :)  

Not that I'm suggesting this poll had any influence on the decision, but 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N3XD6GL/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548791057&sr=8-5&keywords=english+national+ballet+dvd

Many thanks to Bluebird for spotting this!

Well I will buy it, alongside my classical versions. Why have one when you can have them both. Based on the last ENB release on Opus Arte, Le Corsair, I would recommend buying the blu-ray, it was crystal clear, whilst the DVD was comparatively like viewing it through a net. I upgraded to blu-ray because of this.

• Like 1

We sat down this evening to watch the Blu-ray of ENB's AK Giselle that arrived in the post this weekend (with the sound turned up to 11, of course - this ballet deserves to be watched as if the ENB Phil was playing in all its glory about 10 yards away).

As far as I'm concerned this ballet is a modern masterpiece and a future classic. And I'm pleased to say that the Blu-ray does it full justice. I was a bit worried, as the last ENB release we bought as a Blu-ray (Le Corsaire) was very disappointing; the image quality was surprisingly grainy and lacked resolution, so detail was lost, and there were too many motion artefacts creeping in (limbs momentarily 'disappearing', for example on spins). I'm sure part of the improvement is down to technological advances that have occurred in the interim, but the Giselle recording is pin-sharp in detail, with little or no graininess apparent (apart from the smoke that pervades the stage) even in the dimly-lit scenes; I could see the sweat on James Streeter's brow, and could see the strands of Stina Quagebeur's glorious, back-lit hair as floated back and forth as she breathed.

The sound quality was also fantastic - from the shattering fog-horn blasts of the arrival of the Landlords, to the quiet of gentle static, and even to silence in the last PDD; the only part I felt didn't quite live up to its impact in the theatre was the staccato, machine-gun bass during the killing of Hilarion.

But, to me, best of all was the editing. This is a difficult ballet to follow on first viewing in the theatre. It is not easy to distinguish and recognise all the characters (unless one is familiar with the dancers), and some important plot points (eg the Landlord's instructions to Hilarion at the end of Act 1) can easily be missed. However, the editing, with its judicious use of close-ups (something I'm not usually too fond of) helps convey those key moments beautifully. I've seen this production in the theatre many times, and in the cinema several, and I still picked up something this evening I had not noticed before - there is a brief attempt by Myrtha to get Giselle to bow her head to her (recapitulating a similar scene in Act 1).

Of course, unlike recent Royal Ballet Blu-ray/DVD releases, which are essentially the linear broadcast stream sent to the cinemas, this performance was not broadcast live and would have been edited at leisure for eventual release in the cinema and on disc. However, this begs the question "why don't the Royal Ballet edit their recordings to best overall effect for release on disc rather than simply re-use the broadcast stream - with the odd replacement from the 'practice' performance - which by necessity reflects and is compromised by the limitations of being mixed 'live'?"

I cannot imagine the ENB Giselle was edited/mixed as it was being performed - it's too good - which implies that every camera would have had a complete record of its view of the performance from which to construct the released version. I find it difficult to believe that the ROH could not operate the same way, and would only capture the actual mix/edit that went out on the night.

• Like 8

Thanks for this helpful review Nogoat, you have convinced me to splash out for the dvd.It really helps to know that the editing has been done without being to the detriment of the dancing.

• Like 2