John Lewis and other Christmas Advert 2016

Jan McNulty

The annual John Lewis Christmas adverts seem to have become a real cult over the last few years.

I love this year's!

http://www.johnlewis.com/christmas-advert?tmad=c&tmcampid=81&s_emcid=JLE2006_RTADHOC_20161110&s_emuid=42A2CC67781044198EEBDE5621913217

Other shops have Christmas adverts too.

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to add final sentence
  • Like 3

I like this just because it brings back fond memories of the whole family standing at the kitchen window watching three young foxes playing with the balls the kids had left in the garden. It was very early on a very frosty morning too.

• Like 4

Kevin the carrot gets my vote. The ad has some good visual jokes. I like the scary journey on his way to the fireplace as the cooked carrot opens its eyes and Kevin gets caught and slightly shredded on the grater. Oh great,he opines!

Just seen the Waitrose effort with the robin. Mmmmm, seems a long way to go for a mince pie. Just not believable. Better to keep it real like Kevin!

House of Fraser seem to have just rehashed last year's ad, different song and cast but essentially the same ad.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

Kevin the carrot gets my vote. The ad has some good visual jokes. I like the scary journey on his way to the fireplace as the cooked carrot opens its eyes and Kevin gets caught and slightly shredded on the grater. Oh great,he opines!

Or perhaps he said, 'Oh, grate'.

• Like 4

Have you seen the spoof of the John Lewis advert with the Obamas as the parents, Hillary Clinton as the child and Trump as the boxer?

Yes, very funny! Can we get it on here? I don't know how to do a link.

Edited to say I also liked the spoof ad with the snowman in the snow globe created by an A Level student. It was released before the real one and was so good, people were convinced it was the real one. It is rather sweet without being cutesy.

Edited by Jacqueline

I was reading or rather skimming through an article about this year's Christmas ads, which are most/least popular and how much they cost to make and so on. Kevin the carrot is voiced by Jim Broadbent - I was trying to place that voice. There was no precise amount for what the ad cost but apparently, experts have estimated - gotta love the experts - it cost in the region of - keep it vague - 17 MILLION pounds!!

Can that be true? Even more or less!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

I had another look at the article in case I had misread it, only to find it has been amended to an estimated 20 million pounds! I wonder if perhaps the experts are making it up as they go along.

I could be an expert on anything you like if it was only a guess. For a fee of course.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2

I perhaps wonder if the experts are really experts at all... Unless they have a big surprise up their sleeves, I just don't see how they could be spending so much based on what they are actually doing (not just on TV) unless they are counting their instore promotions etc..

More vegetable news! Kevin the cuddly toy carrot went on sale this morning at Aldi stores and I was there. Not at the crack of dawn of course, I don't want to appear ridiculous!

I fully expected them to have sold out and they very nearly had. There were quite a few people at the check out, clutching their Kevins, so to speak, and it was all quite good natured, no pushing and shoving. Although I suspect there may be later, when allocated stock has run out.

The toy is actually quite big and of good quality. I thought it would be about two inches high and pretty low rent looking, but no! The best bit is the label states that ALL profits from the sales of Kevin will go to charity, specifically Barnardos, not just the tiny fraction we usually hear about.

Anyway, all hail Kevin the carrot!

That's enough from me now, in case folks think I am a little obsessed.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 7

I think Kevin sold out in Aldi quite quickly yesterday. Predictably, the toy is now on ebay for grossly inflated prices, the most expensive so far is 30 pounds and I doubt the proceeds will be going anywhere near a charity!

I did wonder about that when some people at my local check out had far more Kevins than they could really want, unless they were buying one each for a number of presents.

Even so, if stock was allocated on a when it's gone it's gone basis, there should have been some rationing, or given the success of the ad, a lot more Kevins available. I suppose they couldn't have known the ad would be so popular and risk being left with a warehouse full of unwanted carrots though.

Just a shame about greedy people who will exploit anything to make money. I hope nobody buys Kevin online.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I managed to bag a 'mog' from sainsburys last year, totally unknowing that they were a 'thing', unfortunately by the time I realised they were £60 on eBay the kids had fallen in love with her! But sad that people are buying vast quantities to sell on, perhaps they'll be left with a whole bunch of Kevin's after Christmas though ????

• Like 1