Daft caution/warning labels

taxi4ballet

We're all familiar with packets of peanuts emblazoned with the legend "Warning - May Contain Nuts" and I now have another one...

This is what it said:

"Warning: Fragile, may cause hazardous sharp pieces if damaged. Not suitable for children under three years of age, due to potential small parts. Children must be supervised at all times when in use".

Bet you can't guess what it is?!!

I wonder if these daft labels are actually an insurance against lawsuits.

I recall reading of a sad case where someone put their small pet dog into a microwave to dry it out after a bath.

The person complained that there was no label on the microwave to say that it couldn't be used to dry out pets!

I wonder if these daft labels are actually an insurance against lawsuits.

I recall reading of a sad case where someone put their small pet dog into a microwave to dry it out after a bath.

The person complained that there was no label on the microwave to say that it couldn't be used to dry out pets!

Yes, I think they are designed to avoid litigation and to protect the terminally stupid from themselves and others from them. Doesn't always work of course. Coffee hot, water wet, ice slippery etc.

There was a guy who sued the council in Dorset a few years ago, after he walked on the Cobb at Lyme Regis in rough seas, fell and broke his leg. He said there should have been warning signs about the sea wall being slippery when wet.

The ones that also make you wonder what kind of person needs to be told are those that say what is being shown is a dramatisation. One that comes to mind is for denture fixative, where the woman says that shouldn't happen, as she wobbles on the teeth and falls off. What is it that shouldn't happen, that the teeth wobble or there is a tiny woman in your mouth, trying to balance on your dodgy dentures!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

Serving suggestion - picture of biscuit on a plate. Who would've thought it?

And who came up with the vacuum ad where the family is having breakfast and somehow creating an almighty mess, cereal all over the floor, dropped toast and so on. Mum comes in and sees the destruction but does she kick off? No, she gets the vac and cleans it all up and is happy to do it. Ecstatic even. Just like real life.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a sandwich toaster yesterday. The instruction book, which is inside all the wrapping, inside the box, advises you to unwrap the toaster before using it!

The booklet also has a warning that the first time you use the toaster, there may be a slight burning smell and some smoke. This is completely normal and nothing to worry about. Presumably if the smoke and smell of burning develops into a fire, that's when you should start worrying!

• Like 2

I bought a sandwich toaster yesterday. The instruction book, which is inside all the wrapping, inside the box, advises you to unwrap the toaster before using it!

I bought a roll-up blind last week.  You've guessed it: the instructions on how to set it up were rolled up inside the blind :rolleyes:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It had to happen. Walkers Brussels Sprout flavour crisps. The packet says:

"Image of sprouts for illustrative purposes only. Product contains no brussels sprout; contains flavouring only"

I have tested them well somebody had to. If you can ignore the fact that they are green and taste of sprouts, the crisps are very nice 😋

• Like 1

Hang on Sim... there's another packet left, I shall go and look...

Aside from potato etc, it says:

Brussels sprout seasoning contains: Rice flour, salt, flavourings, sugar, onion powder, colour (copper complexes of chorophylls and chorophyllins).

My guess is that the colouring is extracted from a green leafy thing. I wonder what it could be?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alison said:

I just passed the 3-flavour pack in Sainsbury's an hour or two ago.  What were the other two flavours?   Turkey and stuffing, I think, and something else?

pigs in blankets. Which actually don't so bad. Well, better than brussel sprout flavour anyway

• Like 1