Nicholas Brothers

I saw a marvellous presentation of clips and some previously unseen home movies of the Nicholas Brothers last night- presented as part of BFI Black Stars season, by Bruce Goldstein, New York cinema man and lifelong fan who made a documentary about them in 1991. 

They are the most sensational dancers and have a definite balletic grace though apparently they were entirely self taught. A short clip of Fred Astaire  (who was also a huge fan of theirs) dancing with them in the back lot of a studio was a most exquisite moment.

My attempts to post a link are not working but I will try again....It has a limited series of showings at Picturehouse cinemas including Brighton on Sunday-but so well worth seeing if you can; the film Stormy Weather featuring one of their best routines is also on limited release.

• Like 5

Thanks! I see it's at the Ritzy, Brixton and Hackney Picturehouses TODAY- Stratford on 4 Nov, and more round the country- well worth going.   Fascinating dance history, and the most joyous music and dance you will see for some time.

Thank you Mary. I hadn't seen this. I am an enormous fan of the Nicholas Brothers and over the years have accumulated every piece of film of their performances I can find. Not only Fred Astaire but also Gene Kelly revered them - in fact he went to great lengths in 1948 to get them to join him in the "Be a Clown" routine - I think their last performance but it's their film work in the 30s that really shows their amazing grace and athleticism. No showings near me but I shall keep trying.

• Like 2

I can only recommend this ... I well remember seeing the brothers talking together with Gregory Hines (someone who died FAR too young - did he ever perform in London?) in a FREE programme at the NYPL in the 80's.  They would show film clips and then the brothers would talk about the origination of them.  There were a goodly number of NYCB dancers in the audience and the brothers' responses to their technical questions - in layman language - was fascinating.  Several times they got up and would actually mark in their responses.  They were mesmerising.  Totally.  (I should add that I have not seen this documentary.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I love them and through the marvellous dance clips set to Uptown Funk on YouTube, I spent some considerable time watching the wonderful Eleanor Parker dancing early this morning when I couldn't sleep. She's awesome! Can you believe that there is no biography of her?

I spent some considerable time watching the wonderful Eleanor Parker dancing early this morning when I couldn't sleep. She's awesome! Can you believe that there is no biography of her?

There is “Eleanor Powell: first Lady of Dance,” self published by Alice Levin in 1997 and other by Margie Schultz – both available second hand in good condition but at prohibitive prices – you could try a libraries search?

• Like 1

Fiz - I think my favourite Eleanor Powell film is the one – sadly the only one -  in which she starred with Fred Astaire – Broadway Melody of 1940 – in the brilliant sequence in which they match off against each other. As Sinatra said in “That’s Entertainment” – something like “you can wait and you can hope but you’ll never see the likes of these again!”

• Like 2

Sorry for all fans of the bros,, David and Bruce, especially, who cannnot get to this. It is part of a BFI initiative so maybe will be available in some form online later? Some of it is on youtube but not all. But possibly it will form the basis of a new documentary- certainly worthy of it.

The Gene Kelly Clown routine was included and all credit to Kelly.  I believe it is on record that Astaire ( a nice man, no racist and a great jazz lover) did try more than once to work with them but the studios were against it- not just because of the segregation of the time ( shameful to recall) but, perhaps it was a question of wanting complete control of the presentation of one of their  greatest stars.

The point was made that the Brothers were always cast as ' speciality dancers' with a special slot in the film, rather than having a lead role or even a speaking part. Black and white performers would not be shown interacting. Later on Harold did work in film and there were some interesting clips of his appearances.  Yet not only are they some of the best dancers of the 20th century, they were excellent singers and actors, and sang convincingly in 3 languages as well. On top of it all their sheer charm shone through in the interviews and home movies( one endearing one of dancing with  Harold's little boy),Though they may have had something to be angry about, they were philosophical, and really came across as most loveable people.

I do hope others manage to see this.

• Like 5

I want to thank Mary for notification of this.  I have just come from the 'live screening' of THE FABUULOUS NICHOLAS BROTHERS as coordinated and presented by the wonderful BRUCE GOLDSTEIN, Director of Repertory for the Film Forum of New York - at the Brixton Ritzy - and FABULOUS IT WAS TOO.  It was SO wonderful to see the young black children dancing on their way out of the cinema.  

The BFI are doing live presentations of this programme around the country - and I'm going to list them here.  I SINCERELY HOPE MANY MORE PEOPLE - INCLUDING BcoF MEMBERS - GET A CHANCE TO SEE THIS LIFE ENRICHING PRESENTATION.  I'm sure if you do you will - like me - feel all the better for it.  There are a goodly number of presentations up north and I know so many of our key members - like Janet and DonQFan - are based there.  Please do support this if you can.

Sun 23 October - Brighton, Duke of York's
Tuesday 25 October - Dundee Contemporary Art, Dundee
Wednesday, 26th October - Glasgow Film Theatre, Glasgow

Thursday, 27th October - Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle

Friday, 28th October - Home, Manchester
Saturday, 29th October - Hyde Park Picture House, Leeds
Monday, 31st October - Sheffield Showroom, Sheffield

Tuesday 1st November - Chapter Arts, Cardiff
Wednesday, 2nd November - Watershed, Bristol
Thursday, 3rd November - Broadway, Nottingham
Friday, 4th November - Stratford East Picture House, London

I found myself with tears rolling down my face in joy more than a few times watching this.  I found myself remembering that afternoon in NYC all those decades ago.  I recalled that I stayed on after the programme had finished and - with a crowd of other people - just wanted to speak to the brothers; wanted to thank them for the joy they had given us.  They were so very generous and loving.  

I remember there was a soloist from NYCB, Michael Byars - (one of those dancers who probably was never seen in London - although if you saw the film of The Nutcracker with Darci Kistler and the truly extraordinary Damian Woetzel you would have seen him dance Candy Cane) - He went up and wanted to know how to do one of the moves that the brothers did - and Harold asked those remaining if they would mind if he taught it to him.  We didn't.  We cheered.  We sat rapt.  I remember at the end of that small segment - when the oh, so talented Byars had conquered the step - we all applauded - and I remember he turned around with tears in his eyes - tears very much like those I found in my own eyes this afternoon - and just embraced Harold and Fayard.  I've never forgotten that.  I remember being incredibly moved at the time.  It was one of those things that money simply can't buy.  Perhaps that is why the programme - as indeed all programmes at NYPL at that time - were offered for free. 

You know, we keep reading here and hereabouts (well, at least I do) that technically dancers are so much better today than in the past.  Well, - after this afternoon - I defy anyone to find a dancer with a MORE lyrical line than Fayard ... and a male with BETTER pointe work than Harold.  What a Puck Howard would have made in Ashton's Dream.  Just between you and me ... I don't think they do ... or ever will ... exist.  I think Astaire, Balanchine, Hines and Kelly knew what they were talking about ... and in this extraordinary instance these brothers still stand (or is that dance?) alone.  

(I also vividly remember the emotion in Fayard's voice that afternoon when he talked about Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson working with him as a youth on his dance technique.) 

Please do go if you can.  I have a feeling you will enjoy it.

AND BLESS YOU, MARY.  YOU CERTAINLY HELPED MAKE MY DAY.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

Whew. I appear to be free on the 4th, so I guess another trip to Stratford is called for. I've never done an evening trip, but I assume it will be okay.

Incidentally, since we're talking about the Ritzy, I noticed that there was a pay-rate demo (or even picket line) outside there last weekend. Does anyone know why? I thought the pay dispute had been settled.

I want to thank Mary for notification of this.  I have just come from the 'live screening' of THE FABUULOUS NICHOLAS BROTHERS as coordinated and presented by the wonderful BRUCE GOLDSTEIN, Director of Repertory for the Film Forum of New York - at the Brixton Ritzy - and FABULOUS IT WAS TOO.

Agreed! Let me add my thanks to the Forum, and particularly Mary for this thread and John for the link, without which I would have missed the Brixton show today. There are still plenty of chances to see this - Bruce has listed them - so if you can go, please do!

• Like 2

I see Stormy Weather is on at BFI Southbank, among other places.

Yes, this has probably the best Nicholas Brothers routine ever (as well as other significant musical numbers, although the brothers don't do more than the one amazing number) However even within the limited range of that sort of musical, it's otherwise a pretty awful film. Imho.

• Like 1

Here is the section from STORMY WEATHER that Geoff is referring to ... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8#t=279.965376

Just look at Fayard's extraordinary port de bras.  I will include a link to a 1991 documentary about the Nichoals Brothers for which the wonderful Mr. Goldstein was responsible.  (You will be hosted by Mr. Goldstein if you go to one of these screenings.)  In it Harold says that the STORMY WEATHER segment - although discussed by the brothers in advance - was to some degree improvised ... and was - REMARKABLY - filmed in ONE TAKE.  (How I would have loved to have been there.  You will also see the irrepressible Cab Calloway -- Surely he must be an icon for rappers of ALL colours today.  He is someone our world can still look up to.  ALL OF THESE MEN WERE AHEAD OF THEIR TIME - and I'm sure it was this that Balanchine and Astaire knew/sensed.  (I remember on Saturday being hugely impressed by yet another segment being shown - and then realising in the midst of it - when the date was shown - that Fayard was actually 49 when it was filmed.  AMAZING!  As so many of the guys I'm privileged to work with in prisons here say: 'Black don't crack'.  You know, sometimes I actually think there is a small margin of truth in that ... Certainly it was true in Fayard's case.)  

It is also - in the FABULOUS NICHOLAS BROTHERS presentation - wonderful to see the likes of Lucille Ball and Pearl Bailey in the frames.  I hold dear to my heart the memory of seeing Cab Calloway and Pearl Bailey in Hello Dolly.  The musical and narrative phrasing and the ad-libs they issued were simply supreme.  Talk about 'being in the moment'.  I must have seen them in it five different times ... and each time was an entirely different enterprise - while still holding true to the overarching framework.  WE HAVE SO MUCH TO THANK ALL OF THESE ARTISTS FOR.  THEY LIVE - IN THE TRUEST SENSE - EVEN NOW. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the section from STORMY WEATHER that Geoff is referring to ... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8#t=279.965376

Just look at Fayard's extraordinary port de bras.  I will include a link to a 1991 documentary about the Nichoals Brothers for which the wonderful Mr. Goldstein was responsible.  (You will be hosted by Mr. Goldstein if you go to one of these screenings.)  In it Harold says that the STORMY WEATHER segment - although discussed by the brothers in advance - was to some degree improvised ... and was - REMARKABLY - filmed in ONE TAKE.  (How I would have loved to have been there.  You will also see the irrepressible Cab Calloway -- Surely he must be an icon for rappers of ALL colours today.  He is someone our world can still look up to.  ALL OF THESE MEN WERE AHEAD OF THEIR TIME - and I'm sure it was this that Balanchine and Astaire knew/sensed.  (I remember on Saturday being hugely impressed by yet another segment being shown - and then realising in the midst of it - when the date was shown - that Fayard was actually 49 when it was filmed.  AMAZING!  As so many of the guys I'm privileged to work with in prisons here say: 'Black don't crack'.  You know, sometimes I actually think there is a small margin of truth in that ... Certainly it was true in Fayard's case.)

I've just discovered that this is showing at the BFI in London tonight at 20.45. This clip alone is well worth seeing. Introduced by Clarke Peters, too.

• Like 2