The US Presidential Election is one month today.

Lisa O`Brien

Who else gets really caught up in the US Presidential election every four years? I love it. Love the UK one too. I normally sit up all night and watch the results come in, as I couldn't bare not knowing. The US Election has certainly been interesting this time around, if nothing else. [Hope i'm allowed to post this "political" thread? 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose UK international politics are so intertwined with US ones the outcome is as important as our own.  Seems more to do with actual personalities than ours though.  It is getting entertaining as we get closer to the vote.

• Like 1

it always surprises me, given their revolutionary history, how much the US loves an almost monarchic presidential dynasty - the Kennedies, the Bushes, the Clintons.  Maybe if Trump wins we'll later see a President Ivanka...  :D

• Like 1

I am heartily sick of the coverage the American election gets over here and am appalled that the palaver around our own elections is going the same way.

I shan't come on this thread again.  Usually the Forum is a haven from all that sort of thing!

• Like 2

I am heartily sick of the coverage the American election gets over here and am appalled that the palaver around our own elections is going the same way.

I shan't come on this thread again.  Usually the Forum is a haven from all that sort of thing!

Let's put it in 101 Janet!

• Like 5

Can't remember a more toxic campaign.  What is unique is that pretty much all the republican big hitters have withdrawn support for their candidate, I don't think this has happened before.  Tonight's debate will be interesting seeing as there is a growing gap in the polls.

• Like 4

At first I liked him. I liked his tough message of how he's going to deal with terrorists. But as time has gone on and more things have happened/emerged. No, just no. I never personally had anything against Hillary anyway. She's obviously a highly intelligent, highly experienced person. I get the feeling if Trump IS elected he won't last too long in the job. Either some scandal will force him to resign, or the powers that be will force him out over some outrageous policy or other. I think if the Republican Party is serious about trying to win they should get rid of Trump and install Pence as the candidate. I know nothing about Pence. But maybe the fact he's a bit of an unknown entity, I.E. no scandals, is a good thing. 

• Like 1

I see Trump as an egotist who wants the job because it will make him the most powerful man in the world.  The fact he has no background in politics is worrying.  When he insulted the parents of the Muslim soldier, that was it for me, after hearing that I decided I had scraped better things off the sole of my shoe.

• Like 4

It'll soon be time for our quadrennial reminder on how the US Electoral College works, given that voters are actually choosing 'electors' on a state by state basis, and that they in turn elect the President and Vice-President:

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/about.html 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15764542

If it's a close call, this process can prove highly significant for the final outcome.

• Like 3

Last night's debate, if one can call it that, has been likened to the Jerry Springer show, in which esteemed guests are invited to air their concerns on national TV. When this fails as it must, shoes already having been removed on the way in, they move on to literally fighting it out in front of a baying audience.

The Donald was trying to intimidate Hillary by prowling around while she was talking but our Hils has been around too long to fall for that playground tactic. Imagine if they had started pushing and shoving though. With all we have heard from and about both candidates, what does it take for somebody to be disqualified from running for president of arguably, the most powerful country in the world.

This campaign has become so toxic, personal and unburdened by anything as tedious as policy or vision, where is the honour these days in serving one's country, whichever country it may be electing a leader. It seems to be all about power and entitlement and what can one get out of it until kicked out. Never mind the good of the people.

The Donald and Hillary are apparently the two most unpopular candidates ever to run, so the result will come down to whoever is the least unpopular. It ain't over till the people vote and as history has shown, the people are fickle.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 7

I don't know whether Michelle Obama is interested in taking a leading role in Politics but I think she may be very good.

Perhaps if the worst does actually happen this time round Michelle can rescue the situation next time!!

But perhaps she has had enough of the White House!

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, given that it has degenerated into such an unpleasant spectacle of who is least worst. Neither side will concede an inch in my opinion,Hillary has waited for this moment too long and Donald is well, the Donald. Surely no real surprises. It seemed funny when they made jokes about his hands but the laughing time is over.

In the words of one of our own greats John Major, When your back is against the wall, you turn around and fight.

That's the way to do it John. Oh, Sir John now isn't it. Sorry, I'm just a peasant.

Edited by Jacqueline

What terrifies me is not that Trump is a mysogynistic, racist idiot, but that

a) He got to be a presidential candidate in the first place

B)  There are people in the USA who will vote for him 

Scary times

We have family members in the States (Americans and expat Brits) and all of them are appalled at the prospect of Trump being in charge of anything at all, let alone the country. They are even more appalled that there are some misguided fools people who actually want to vote for him.

• Like 3

I don't know whether Michelle Obama is interested in taking a leading role in Politics but I think she may be very good.

Perhaps if the worst does actually happen this time round Michelle can rescue the situation next time!!

But perhaps she has had enough of the White House!

I doubt that somehow. She has often spoken of how much she has hated living in the White House, as it was built by slaves.

We have family members in the States (Americans and expat Brits) and all of them are appalled at the prospect of Trump being in charge of anything at all, let alone the country. They are even more appalled that there are some misguided fools people who actually want to vote for him.

Agreed. I get that people want change. What I don't understand is how people can defend or choose to vote for such a terrible person.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, given that it has degenerated into such an unpleasant spectacle of who is least worst. Neither side will concede an inch in my opinion,Hillary has waited for this moment too long and Donald is well, the Donald. Surely no real surprises. It seemed funny when they made jokes about his hands but the laughing time is over.

In the words of one of our own greats John Major, When your back is against the wall, you turn around and fight.

That's the way to do it John. Oh, Sir John now isn't it. Sorry, I'm just a peasant.

But wouldn't he just be facing the wall?!

• Like 3

But wouldn't he just be facing the wall?!

Indeed he would which is why Sir John's quotes,back when he was plain old pm are worth a look. Do you remember that giant cartoon of him in his underpants, Superman style,that was etched into the south downs just outside Brighton in the 90s?

As for the Donald and Hillary show, have just seen a clip of their recent debate redone with the duet from Dirty Dancing, as though they are singing I've had the time of my life to each other. Just brilliant,made me laugh out loud.

LOL Taxi!! What gets me is that these continued debates are supposedly happening for people who are 'undecided'. This campaign has been going on for a year. Who could possibly still be undecided? Have they been walking around with their ears and eyes shut?

I'm a historian, albeit not of modern history. The university departments I work in are horrified at the possibility that he might win.

• Like 3

I'm just glad I don't live in a swing state or we'd be inundated with political ads. We're getting enough as it is because Virginia is nearby, but I'd hate to live in Ohio or Pennsylvania.

At least this election, and Donald Trump in particular, is providing a lot of fodder for the late-night talk show comedians. I'm so glad John Oliver decided to move over here and was given his own show.

• Like 2