lower school, the process - the hammond etc

michelle52

Hi,

Just wondering if people can give me the low down on the paper/academic exams pupils have to do for The Hammond, Trying etc. Are they just to get an idea of where that pupil is or do they use them in their decision of acceptance along with auditions? We aren't there just yet but not that long until need to consider our options. Also is it really hard to get in or you just can't tell what they are looking for - dance skills alone, vocal skills, acting abilities, all of it?! Finally, do 11 year olds cope being away from home so young?

With thanks in advance :)

I think the academic tests are referred to after any decisions are made and are not used to make the actual decision. We never found out the results of the academic tests so I wouldn't know if that affected the decision. Feel free to ask away, there's so many helpful people on here!

At Hammond you audition for a place, then if successful you are invited to a further audition for funding.

The number of funded places they have available varies from year to year. All students applying are ranked in order & MDS awards offered down the list.

In addition the school has some bursaries available.

Lower school students get a vocal technique class each week as well as junior or senior choir. Individual singing lessons are available at an extra cost.

Hi,

Just wondering if people can give me the low down on the paper/academic exams pupils have to do for The Hammond, Trying etc. Are they just to get an idea of where that pupil is or do they use them in their decision of acceptance along with auditions? We aren't there just yet but not that long until need to consider our options. Also is it really hard to get in or you just can't tell what they are looking for - dance skills alone, vocal skills, acting abilities, all of it?! Finally, do 11 year olds cope being away from home so young?

With thanks in advance :)

My dd did one at school for The Hammond and one finals day at Elmhurst...

I had a look at the one sent to school and it was very simple really nothing to worry about at all

• 6 months later...

Hi, back again!

Another year closer to decisions and still not entirely sure if should even think about it!?

My daughter is a good all rounder - dance/sings/drama, but is it classical ballet that is the decider in the end??

I don't see her being solely a ballerina, so what are the realistic options in year 7, and is Hammond still an option? 

Thanks for any helpful answer

X

I would say Hammond is a very good school for an all-rounder. Our DS is a bit of an all rounder although his preference is classical ballet at the moment. For an MDS funding award - I would say that is based on potential in ballet, but many students attend Hammond with generous school bursaries who have other talents - be it in drama, music or other dance genres . 

If you want classical ballet to be your focus, I can only speak about our experience and our DS feels challenged & pushed with his ballet (in a good way) and is flourishing. He loves the school & the training :)

• Like 3