Polunin resigns from RB

Gingerbread, I have just looked at his most recent tweets and, on the face of it, they are disturbing but, equally, they may just be idle remarks designed to be provocative. As I don't know him I can't say whether we should be concerned about his well-being or not. I wonder whether he finds it difficult to be out of the limelight and away from the adulation that he was used to when he was at the RB. The provocative tweets may be a cry for help or they may be nothing more than immature ramblings which do not denote any serious underlying malaise; I can't say which they are. I just hope that he does have some genuine friends who are looking out for him.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much hope people will leave this lad alone and give him time to grow up for himself - much as he has expressed a desire to do, which is, I think, only natural. He will grow up; He has to. What will be, will be. It has always been thus and forever I'm certain it will be.

If he wants people to leave him alone he should stop giving interviews and tweeting. For whatever reason he wants attention. Even though I don't know him I'd hate something to happen to him. I'm just concerned for him as a human being!

For your information, there is an interview of Polunin on the latest issue of Shinshokan Dance Magazine which was taken during Alina Cojocaru Dream Project in Tokyo (February).

In this interview, he says that he has been contacting (from himself) several ballet companies such as ABT and Russian companies, and there is an offer from a new Broadway musical with him on the main cast and also some choreography but he can't tell details yet.

So it looks that he has not lost passion in dance, but he says he saw no progress in himself as long as he stayed at the Royal Ballet. He wanted to push himself in an unstable situation.

He is set to dance a full Don Quixote with Tamara Rojo this summer at the prestigious World Ballet Festival in Tokyo. Has he danced a full DQ before?

• 1 month later...

Whilst I'm loathe to resuscitate this thread, some remarks made by Tamara Rojo in an Evening Standard interview released this afternoon are pretty much bound to do so:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/arts/theatre/tamara-rojo-i-danced-in-private-for-george-osborne-7728113.html

She reckons too much was asked of him for his age - 2 new roles a year could have sufficed - and infers that she could not have coped at that age. She wonders whether he would want to return, and feels the gift he has (had?) could be a 'sentence.'

I also felt that too much was expected of Polunin. As I said before, he was scheduled to dance in almost every programme this season. Having said what she has said, I hope that Tamara will be careful with Vadim who is a few months younger than Polunin and is in a similar position at ENB. She also needs to be careful not to upset Daria to whom Vadim is very loyal (and rightly so).

• Like 2

Fascinating! As I shut down for the night, I've seen just one reaction on Twitter to the Rojo interview and, predictably in that case, it picks up her remark that ballet is 'tonnes of fun.' Nothing at all about Polunin - already it's as if he'd never been here.

• Like 1

Fascinating! As I shut down for the night, I've seen just one reaction on Twitter to the Rojo interview and, predictably in that case, it picks up her remark that ballet is 'tonnes of fun.' Nothing at all about Polunin - already it's as if he'd never been here.

Sergei who?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(Actually, it was the Stanislavsky, not the Mikhailovsky).

Now that Polunin's new choice of employer and even something of his schedule for the next year have been confirmed, I decided that it was time to start a new thread in the hope that we can start looking forward rather than back. If you have new news about Polunin, please post it in the following thread: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1539-sergei-polunin-news/