Polunin resigns from RB

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the RB just have too many senior dancers? Leaving Polunin aside, I've wondered whether the dancers feel that they dance too much or too little. Some do a lot of dancing etc. elsewhere. I doubt that those dancers would like a heavier workload at the RB. I have seen American commentators complaining about how little the principals dance at ABT but many of them are pursuing other projects elsewhere (one even has his own ballet company).

Actually Rojo was the only ballerina he specifically mentioned as being someone he enjoyed working with.

...and I suspect that she, and also another experienced colleague, played a role in Sergei "reconcilation" with Royal Ballet...and the roles that Sergei is taking this year and the next seem to confirm my idea.

I'm really happy to now that Tamara has an eye on Sergei and that he likes to dance with her, that makes me much more confident in Sergei's future as a dancer. They can be a great partnership, as they demontrated in Marguerite and Armand, and they need each other.

I'm really looking forward Sergei's James: it could be something to remember. And if it was Kobborg to take him back for it, thanks to Johan!

I really hope that SP does dance with the RB again in some capacity. Guesting might work well for all concerned. In the meantime, I hope that the Men in Motion programme goes well tonight. If anyone goes to see it I'd be interested to know what s/he thinks of it as I probably won't see it having already booked for so much this month.

BBC2 'Newsnight' has just shown a brief interview with Polunin after rehearsals at Sadler's Wells. Nothing really new since the recent newspaper interviews - he was feeling diminished as an artist, has pushed the 'Delete' button, probably won't be dancing in 5/6 years time, and so forth.

It will presumably be available on BBC iPlayer for a week before too long - at about 40 minutes into the programme.

Petulant is the word that sprung to my mind. If he really is so eager to 'move on' then I think he should just get on with it ... and if he REALLY wanted to go quietly - as he himself - perhaps he should refuse all requests for interviews simply stating the he wants the memory of his work in ballet to be remembered for itself. Of course, everyone sends him their best interests and, of course, all will look forward to reading with interest as to his his future pursuits. The card - seemingly now signed by the world - has now been handed and out the door he smiling can go unto new adventures.

• Like 1

The words came to me from Sergei's own lips via his chief mentor and teacher at the school.He also said that he is going to do a Broadway musical (though he can't remember the name!!!) and that Ralph Fiennes has found him an acting coach.

This was Jonathan Cope, in an interview for the Independent when he decided he'd like to be a dancer after all, after 2 years completely out of the ballet world. So maybe we'll see Polunin back one day, too.

It's not surprising that young principals find the pressure hard to take but there is one major difference here: a professional dancer normally gives notice and in Jonathan Cope's case he gave the Royal Ballet a whole season before departing. This must have helped not just the RB but also his partners including the fast-rising star, Darcey Bussell. I wonder how she would have felt had he 'done a Polunin' and walked out in September 89, prior to the first night of Macmillan's Prince of the Pagodas. Would her career have been materially affected? Luckily, he worked on for another 9 months and maybe this is why he was welcomed back later. The RB management may 'forgive and forget' but I doubt his fellow dancers will feel the same way about Polunin after his abrupt and graceless departure.

• Like 1

The words came to me from Sergei's own lips via his chief mentor and teacher at the school.He also said that he is going to do a Broadway musical (though he can't remember the name!!!) and that Ralph Fiennes has found him an acting coach.

I completely accept the probity of the source. I hope it's true, but…

It's almost certainly a generational thing, but I've stumbled across an alternative view to that of our protagonist here on the need and value of rehearsal from composer Rodion Shchedrin:

"However talented one may be, skipping rehearsals is an absolute taboo .......

And the older you become, the more rehearsal time you need. This is because the more professional you are, the more nuances you can work on.”

From the St Petersburg Times: http://www.sptimes.ru/index_bp.php?action_id=2&story_id=35318&section=4

Re PoIunin: I think this is a case of too much, too soon. It works for some but not for others.

By the way, it always amazes me when one sees Plisetskaya offstage, with other people - like her husband - how petite she is. She was always so "large" on stage - she filled it so completely, its hard to remember she is really physically petite.

Well, Ismene Brown on today's Arts Desk says: "There have been rumours that the problem child would be back at the Royal Ballet this summer to do his La Sylphide performances - yesterday I had it confirmed from the incoming director, Kevin O’Hare, that this isn’t so." (http://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/men-motion-ii-sadlers-wells-theatre?page=0,1)

Your guess is as good as mine.

Sergei never had to put up a fight to get there, compared to his RBS and RB colleagues. It was all handed out on a plate. He never experienced disappointment of not being cast, or being a cover, or being overlooked...It was all easily up for grabs for Sergei.

He danced... but probably never felt a real urge to dance. Talent alone clearly doesn't cut it.

Professional dancers thrive on the routine of daily class, rehearsals and performance. I understand he didn't. He said it himself: there was nothing left to wish for. So many dancers "survive" depressing years in the Corps de Ballet in the hope that one day they'll get out of the Corps and get a promotion. Sergei jumped the ranks and at 19 achieved what most dancers have to work for for many years.

Now that he is out there in the real world I hope he will experience, and understand, that things do not come easy in life.

I don't know if this is the best place to post this but, after reading some of the reviews of Polunin's performances in Men in Motion, I have been wondering how freelance ballet dancers go about their business.

Firstly, how do they do classes? Do they do them at home, hire a studio and a coach, perhaps with others, or make arrangements to do classes with a friendly ballet company? How long does it take for a dancer to lose fitness and technique once s/he stops doing classes and rehearsing regularly?

Secondly, is it really possible to perform a piece (particularly a piece which the dancer has not danced before) to a high standard without a coach? I know there's youtube nowadays and of course fellow dancers can help but is this an adequate substitute? (I've also wondered how dancers prepare their gala pieces and where they get their costumes from.)

Thirdly, how long do you think a top ballet dancer can dance at the same or at a similar level once s/he has left the structure and discipline of a ballet company? Does it make a lot of difference if the dancer moves into more contemporary ballet?

To Aileen's questions:

Question: FIRSTLY, do how classes? Do they them at home, hire studio and coach, perhaps others, or make arrangements to classes with a friendly ballet company?

Answer:They would not do them at home - at least not for more than a day or two. So, the options are to hire a studio and teacher/coach, and/or network with other dancers, or go to another company and ask to take company class. Whether they are charged or not or allowed to depends upon the school/studio.

Question: HOW for s and to classes a long does it take dancer lose fitness technique once he stops doing rehearsing regularly?

Answer:I can't recall if it was Fonteyn or Nureyev who said this - but the general thought is: skip class one day and you will know it skip class two days and other dancers will know it skip class three days and the whole world will know it. Class is essential in order to rehearse and perform. It sets the dancer up for the rest of the day.

Question: SECONDLY, to a it dancer is really possible perform (particularly piece which the has not danced before) high standard without coach?

Answer: It is not possible - even for a role which the dancer has danced many, many times. The body "lies." It tells the dancer - even a very experienced professional dancer - that it is doing one thing whilst it is doing quite another. It "cheats." Little descrepanices creep in, minute changes occur which the dancer cannot catch. It takes another "eye" to see what's happening and to rectify it and let the dancer know. I remember reading about Fonteyn having trouble with her fouettés and it wasn't until Nureyev mentioned to her that her shoulder was misaligned that she was able to correct it. As experienced as she was - she needed another "eye."

Question:I how they and is know there?s youtube nowadays of course fellow can help but this an adequate substitute? (I?ve also wondered dancers prepare gala pieces where get their costumes from.

Answer: Youtube is no substitute for a teacher and/or a coach. Usually the teacher deals with technique and a coach deals with a particular role or dance. The coach helps with interpretation and presentation and is someone (usually) who has either danced that piece many times and/or worked directly with the choreographer. The costumes are designed and made by the Company or someone to whom they contract to make them. The designer designs them, the maker - well, makes them. Both are art forms. Usually, the soloists and corps members share costumes from one production to another. And, usually, the costumes are made to measure for the principals. If a dancer is not a member of the Company but freelance - then costumes would either have to be bought from someone willing to sell or specially made by a costume maker. Costumes are very expensive and take on a life of their own. It is often a tradition for each dancer to sign his/her name on the inside of the costume.

Question: Thirdly, how long do you think a top ballet dancer can dance at the same or at a similar level once s/he has left the structure and discipline of a ballet company? Does it make a lot of difference if the dancer moves into more contemporary ballet?

Answer: Depends upon how vigorously the dancer is able to replace that structure and discipline with outside resources. Generally speaking, it doesn't work very well much of the time. It means constant moving about to seek employment and accessing and depending upon local resources. Again, generally speaking, contemporary dance is not as structurally demanding and some ballet dancers have successfully moved into contemporary dance to extend their dancing lives - Baryshnikov comes to mind. I'm not saying its easier - but its demands are different - and the choreography can be designed to suit the particular needs of a dancer. It's not like trying to meet the demands of Swan Lake as choreographed by Petipa. Since in contemporary dance there are no strict rules - the dancer has more of an opportunity to make his or her "own."

I hope this helps.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai

Thank you , Anjuli, for such a detailed (and prompt! ) response to my post. Perhaps you know who should read this! Sadly, it appears that his dancing is already suffering, although he did put in a very good technical performance at the recent Pavlova Gala, but I imagine that his partner (who is at the RB) had a great deal to do with that. Let's hope that, having had a break from company life, he returns to the RB or joins another company.

• Like 1

Well, Ismene Brown on today's Arts Desk says: "There have been rumours that the problem child would be back at the Royal Ballet this summer to do his La Sylphide performances - yesterday I had it confirmed from the incoming director, Kevin O’Hare, that this isn’t so." (http://www.theartsde...heatre?page=0,1)

Your guess is as good as mine.

Thank heavens .... There is some sense still left in the world ... Good luck to him I say ... I only now pray that the rest (on his ballet front) be left in silence ...

Polunin is a great dancer!

Reading the comments some people leave here make me sad.

You were not wondering if he's got permission to work in this country when you were watching him dancing at ROH ......You were enjoying the real performance instead.....

I was reading in yesterday's Guardian that SP has now been stripped of his work visa for the UK....wonder if he'll be knocking on Kevin O'Hare's door? Or....? Who knows.

My understanding was that when he resigned from RB that SP automatically lost his work permit which was issued specifically for him to dance with RB. Alastair Spalding got him a short term one for him to dance in the first series of "Men in Motion". I was under the impression that he now has a 3 year permit to dance anywhere in the UK, and that this was requested both by Alastair Spalding and Kevin O'Hare.

I was under the impression that he now has a 3 year permit to dance anywhere in the UK, and that this was requested both by Alastair Spalding and Kevin O'Hare.

That is what Kevin O'Hare said in his recent interview with The Times.

Welcome Mrs BBB! And Loveuballet. We didn't have to wonder about this work permit when he was at the RB; of course we all knew he had one because he was a full member of the Company. And being a full member of the Company, we got to watch his fantastic real performances, naturally. I think you will find that the reason most people are now wondering about his work status is because we are worried about not being able to see him dance in England anymore. If this has now been sorted out and he does have a 3-year permit, then I for one am very happy about it. I only hope he chooses to do things that show his amazing talent.

• Like 2