Tring auditions for 2017 entry

Happymum

Happymum I agree with Piccolo! Do hope all went well for your DS and looking forward to hearing all about it. Am now going up to the school tomorrow so see there perhaps?? DD was upset when I originally said I wouldn't go so anything for an easy life!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my DD loved today. She wasn't kept behind so I'm assuming that she's not in running now. Fantastic experience though. There's 45 kids recalled this year and 10 MDS awards to award.

45 for 10 does sound better odds than usual. What a shame that there isn't funding for all 45 though. Good Luck to all and may you land in a good place.

Yes there were children from Tring, Elmhurst and WL at finals today.

DS came out not happy. He tried his best but said that exercises were difficult, names of the steps he has never heard before and things he never did until today. I guess because the older boys (some already in voc schools) were there as well the panel needed to make it a bit more challenging.

No physio for us so not much hope for MDS

The boys looked like a big group, I saw them going in. My DD wasn't sure how physio recalls were picked. She said there was a girl that was absolutely outstanding who she was sure would get funding but she didn't get kept for physio.

There were 15 boys (apparently about 6 or 7 for Year 7 entry).

In previous years physio used to watch auditions and maybe today as well. So there is a chance that she has seen everything she wanted to in a child during all the stretches positions so no physio assessment needed. (That's what I told my DS to cheer him up - I can't remember if in the past somebody was offered MDS without physio assessment).

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 1

We thoroughly enjoyed today, such a lovely atmosphere in the school. My DD gave her all today buy thought there was girls with better technique than her so we're not holding out much hope. She's got Hammond next month so she's determined to practice as much as she can before the.

• Like 2

Just my luck today that finally got feedback from Elmhurst Jan audition. Wouldn't have really helped today they said my DD still has quite immature muscle tone (she is hypermobile) so didn't score highly enough to get a recall with them. They thought she had lot of potential, I did let them know she had just attended tring and has hammond call back too. They're going to speak to us at the easter intensive but said definitely apply next year,timing was just wrong on this occasion.

• Like 2

I'm pleased in a way that they did say the same as the JA teacher has been telling us. We only started this journey because she thought my DD should at least try. Our JA teacher is lovely, she has such a mixed capability in her class yet she still makes sure she advised parents as much as she can. She has given us lots of advice regarding hypermobility but did say that it may be an issue at auditions.

I'm pleased in a way that they did say the same as the JA teacher has been telling us. We only started this journey because she thought my DD should at least try. Our JA teacher is lovely, she has such a mixed capability in her class yet she still makes sure she advised parents as much as she can. She has given us lots of advice regarding hypermobility but did say that it may be an issue at auditions.

Hi Sarah, interested to hear about advice for hypermobility and why this may be problematic at auditions.

Loobylou. My DD hypermobility has really affected her core strength and her feet. She's had to be taught how to be very aware of her feet as they naturally roll in. She was shown exercises to do at home by the JA teacher and they've really helped. Her core has been a much more difficult task, she's had some one to one lessons with a retired ballet teacher who has managed to explain how to get her core muscles working together, it took a very long time for my DD to manage even a sit up. She's definitely improved over last year just unfortunately a little late for the vocational auditions.

Thanks Sarah. My eldest DD has similar issues - roll in feet and core all over the place. Each time she manages to gain strength she has another growth spurt and loses core strength again. Any specific exercises you'd recommend for core? It's affecting her pointe work at the mo, she's fairly new to it and had strengthened feet and legs nicely but struggling since recent growth spurt to hold core together.

• Like 1

I'll ask my DD tonight what some of the exercises are called, I don't think I could do a great job describing them. She uses a balance board though and a pull up bar at home to help her strength. We not encountered a growth spurt yet, my DD has barely grown in last few years.

Lower school Tring results are out! Very fast - I'm impressed. My DS is on reserve list for MDS.

Miracle - Mrs Rist was at Lower school finals, not sure about Upper but I think she always try to attend all prelims and finals

• Like 3

Happy mum - congratulations - you must be pleased .

Was it email or letter ?

Well I'm pleased in a way. It's not a straight "no" so will lift up my DS spirits (though I think all the finalist are put on the reserve list). Elmhurst is his first choice so he should be ok with the results.

• Like 1

Best wishes for those of you waiting for upper school finals results. Tring are usually very quick. Was Mrs Rist at finals? X

Yes she was and after the audition spoke briefly to the dancers and parents, saying they were all good enough to be at the school but that there was not funding for everyone. She also said that it was a very high standard year and that about 80 had reached finals. (This was our experience - there were other groups too during the day so she may have said other things to them.)

• Like 1

Thank you Sarahw. My DD has loved the experience. We originally only auditioned for tring for experience as my DD really only wanted to try for hammond and Elmhurst. She soon changed her mind after visiting the school though! I'm incredibly proud she got this far. She's got Hammond next month and also going to try for the local CAT scheme so she's absolutely fine. She'll definitely try again next year though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2017 at 16:32, afab said:

For the old forum members who've been following us for years and even though it's not ballet, I'm very proud to say that DD3 has been offered a place at Tring for 6th Form Acting Course! :-)

Hi,Afab, I have been following your story for years.  Congratulations to your DD.  Will she be at the Taster day on 29th June?  My non dancing DD is starting in September and will be there.

• Like 2

Hi Angel, how lovely of you to follow us! Thank you...

Anyway, unfortunately DD3 will not be going to Tring because it's simply too expensive without funding especially with DD1 and DD2 at LSC!

The same thing happened to her sisters a few years back. They were both offered a place at Tring, one in the MT section and the other in the Dance one. We couldn't afford for them to go and they both are very happy at LSC after having been offered a place on their first go so we hope DD3 will be lucky enough to follow in their footsteps albeit in Drama.

Tring was always more of a potential meter for us than a real possibility. We treated it as "if they can be offered a place, we feel justified in helping them follow their dreams (and finance them) because they stand a chance" type of thing...

How is it going for you? I'm sure your non dancing DD must be very happy! What year will she join?

Edited by afab
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply and yes I understand regarding using Tring as a meter for potential.  My non dancing DD did the drama Summer course last year and absolutely loved it!  She will do a drama qualification (Cambridge rather than Btec I think) as well as the Commercial Music course.  She will join the lower 6th.

My other 2 DD's are at Tring so I am thrilled.  I'm exhausted with all the driving up and down the country.  Just one journey, even though it is a 210 mile round trip, will feel like a stroll in the park to the past few years :wacko:

• Like 3

Will your DD do the Musical Theatre course or Dance course Pictures?  My DD loves Musical Theatre but is put off because she hasn't been able to dance whilst at Hammond.

Edited by angel
spelling mistake