taxi4ballet

Terry's Chocolate Oranges - and other festive treats

I used to love Clarnico mint creams.  Used to go in to Woolworths to get mine. Not sure I have ever seen them in my supermarket.

• Like 1

I love clarnico mint creams too and you can buy them in Morrisons and possibly Sainsburys. As a product they were discontinued for a while and now the packaging is different as they have dropped clarnico from the title of the product - now just Maynards Bassetts Mint Creams but still shows 'clarnico' in the image and its written on the actual sweet wrapper. Just bought a packet this morning!

• Like 3

my mum asked me to buy her a nestle walnut whip - she hadn't had one in years, but really fancied one.

my local newsagents told me you couldn't get them anymore...

the next day I stopped at local petrol station and what did I spy? ... yep .. walnut whips! I have one waiting for mums next visit!

• Like 2

Marks do some wonderful walnut (and other) whips...  I used to buy them for my Mum all the time (and me too of course!).

• Like 3

I bought a packet of Maltesers this week, I had a real craving - they weren't as nice as I remember.  It must be my age but I'm not enjoying chocolate as much as I used to.

I used to adore Walnut Whips. Since I developed so many food intolerances I can eat very few of the things I used to love. Perhaps I ate too many of them in the first place.:unsure:

Watch out for Maltesers: there was some chocolate recall earlier this week involving them, or one of their offspring, shall we call it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yaffa said:

My daughters told me about that and I still had the empty packet and the date was fine and so am I.  They just didn't taste the same - perhaps it's a blessing in disguise as I really need to loose weight - always a silver lining :)

Has anyone dipped their toe back in the water with regard to Toblerone?  Can you confirm whether it's returned to something like its original dimensions?

And another shock, talking about stocking-fillers: is there a nationwide shortage of large tubes of Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles?  I fear I might have to buy Smarties instead.

12 hours ago, alison said:

Has anyone dipped their toe back in the water with regard to Toblerone?  Can you confirm whether it's returned to something like its original dimensions?

And another shock, talking about stocking-fillers: is there a nationwide shortage of large tubes of Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles?  I fear I might have to buy Smarties instead.

Lots of large tubes of Fruit Pastilles in my local Tesco this morning. 

Oh, thanks.  Perhaps there was just a delay at the manufacturers, then.

Following a lengthy testing process, I can confirm that the plain chocolate version of the Terrys chocolate oranges are nicer than the milk chocolate ones.

• Like 4

Nobody gone back to buying Toblerone yet, then?

Incidentally, still no Fruit Pastilles in any Sainsbury's or Waitrose near me - may have to make an excursion to a Tesco.

Christmas treats thoroughly ruined by the error of picking up Gingerbread flavoured Matchmakers  - especially when I was eagerly anticipating that delicious orangey flavour.  Why would Nestle do this to me??!! 

Yuck, yuck, they taste like cough medicine, avoid if at all possible!

I had to console myself with a large bag of individual Cadbury Whole Nut's instead, it was hard, but I forced myself to finish the bag in two sittings.

(Nothing at all to do with the fact that I really do need to start to wear my reading glasses whilst shopping - they need to package them in a very obviously different colour for simpletons like me!)

• Like 4

I saw they were on sale, but stuck with my tried and tested orange flavour!!

So, did really nobody get a Toblerone for Christmas?  I'm still wondering whether they're still using the "cheat" version with huge gaps between the triangles or not.  There were no images on the packaging, so I couldn't tell from that!

I had a crime egg lunchtime, against my better judgement. Thought I would see if ant better than my last experience of one. Nope! They definitely are not as good as they were - the choc was more brittle and had that artificial sweetener type of after taste. Won’t do my ‘figure’ any harm to avoid them, to be honest!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I had a crime egg

a crime egg! was this intentional or a Freudian slip? 😤

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

a crime egg! was this intentional or a Freudian slip? 😤

oops! hahahha! well, these days it is a crime, since Kraft knackered Cadburys

• Like 4

20 hours ago, alison said:

So, did really nobody get a Toblerone for Christmas?  I'm still wondering whether they're still using the "cheat" version with huge gaps between the triangles or not.  There were no images on the packaging, so I couldn't tell from that!

My husband did but only the bags of mini Toblerone.  They tasted great (thank goodness) but I can’t help with the gap/no gap question except to say that the mini ones don’t have a gap!

21 hours ago, alison said:

I think I read somewhere they closed the gap back to normal, slightly increased the size, then all but doubled the price. Which was a bit of a lose/lose for the choccy-centric punter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I think I read somewhere they closed the gap back to normal, slightly increased the size, then all but doubled the price. Which was a bit of a lose/lose for the choccy-centric punter

Absolutely.  I suppose at least they haven’t messed around with the flavour.