Terry's Chocolate Oranges - and other festive/seasonal treats

taxi4ballet

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Yaffa said:

My daughters told me about that and I still had the empty packet and the date was fine and so am I.  They just didn't taste the same - perhaps it's a blessing in disguise as I really need to loose weight - always a silver lining :)

• 1 year later...

Has anyone dipped their toe back in the water with regard to Toblerone?  Can you confirm whether it's returned to something like its original dimensions?

And another shock, talking about stocking-fillers: is there a nationwide shortage of large tubes of Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles?  I fear I might have to buy Smarties instead.

12 hours ago, alison said:

Has anyone dipped their toe back in the water with regard to Toblerone?  Can you confirm whether it's returned to something like its original dimensions?

And another shock, talking about stocking-fillers: is there a nationwide shortage of large tubes of Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles?  I fear I might have to buy Smarties instead.

Lots of large tubes of Fruit Pastilles in my local Tesco this morning. 

• alison changed the title to Terry's Chocolate Oranges - and other festive treats
  • 3 weeks later...

Christmas treats thoroughly ruined by the error of picking up Gingerbread flavoured Matchmakers  - especially when I was eagerly anticipating that delicious orangey flavour.  Why would Nestle do this to me??!! 

Yuck, yuck, they taste like cough medicine, avoid if at all possible!

I had to console myself with a large bag of individual Cadbury Whole Nut's instead, it was hard, but I forced myself to finish the bag in two sittings.

(Nothing at all to do with the fact that I really do need to start to wear my reading glasses whilst shopping - they need to package them in a very obviously different colour for simpletons like me!)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So, did really nobody get a Toblerone for Christmas?  I'm still wondering whether they're still using the "cheat" version with huge gaps between the triangles or not.  There were no images on the packaging, so I couldn't tell from that!

I had a crime egg lunchtime, against my better judgement. Thought I would see if ant better than my last experience of one. Nope! They definitely are not as good as they were - the choc was more brittle and had that artificial sweetener type of after taste. Won’t do my ‘figure’ any harm to avoid them, to be honest!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alison said:

So, did really nobody get a Toblerone for Christmas?  I'm still wondering whether they're still using the "cheat" version with huge gaps between the triangles or not.  There were no images on the packaging, so I couldn't tell from that!

My husband did but only the bags of mini Toblerone.  They tasted great (thank goodness) but I can’t help with the gap/no gap question except to say that the mini ones don’t have a gap!

21 hours ago, alison said:

I think I read somewhere they closed the gap back to normal, slightly increased the size, then all but doubled the price. Which was a bit of a lose/lose for the choccy-centric punter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I think I read somewhere they closed the gap back to normal, slightly increased the size, then all but doubled the price. Which was a bit of a lose/lose for the choccy-centric punter

Absolutely.  I suppose at least they haven’t messed around with the flavour.  

• alison changed the title to Terry's Chocolate Oranges - and other festive/seasonal treats

Spotted in the local Waitrose this week: a man taking probably half a display tray's worth (8? 10?) of reduced-price Lindt bunnies to the checkout.  Can't say I totally blame him, as they were significantly reduced, but ... really??

On 26/05/2017 at 12:39, 2dancersmum said:

I love clarnico mint creams too and you can buy them in Morrisons and possibly Sainsburys.

I fear Morrisons may have stopped selling them.  I don't have that many branches near me, but of the 2 south London branches I've visited in recent months, neither seemed to be stocking them :(  They still seem to sell lots of other Bassetts sweet bags, though.  Come to think of it, the local giant Tesco didn't have any, either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2020 at 12:23, alison said:

I fear Morrisons may have stopped selling them.  I don't have that many branches near me, but of the 2 south London branches I've visited in recent months, neither seemed to be stocking them :(  They still seem to sell lots of other Bassetts sweet bags, though.  Come to think of it, the local giant Tesco didn't have any, either.

A lot of traditional sweets seem to stopped being produced.  We seem to be being steered towards much more sickly sweet stuff.  I suspect there will come a time when we won't be able to buy Smarties any more.  We will have to have M & Ms.