Now That's What I Call A Correction Volume 1

TYR

I think the best one is the one that one of the teachers gave me.  

"Now watch your hand as it moves in the port de bras from first to fifth and keep it in your peripheral vision.  Imagine you've just had the best manicure of your life and can't stop looking at your new shellac."

It certainly worked for me.  I am now a lot better at following my hand with my eye.  

I'd say the other great correction I picked up was watching the Swan Lake Insight event last month.  Wayne Sleep was coaching the Neapolitan dance and he said to the dancers "you may not be able to make a correction instantly.  Think it, internalise it and then it will settle in better for next time."  I found that very helpful personally.   

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

"Your knees should feel like your lungs" - Anna du Boisson

(Not something you think about much unless things are badly wrong? Stuffed up with snot? Infected with COVID-19? So many possibilities....)

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 17:38, Tango Dancer said:

I think the best one is the one that one of the teachers gave me.  

"Now watch your hand as it moves in the port de bras from first to fifth and keep it in your peripheral vision.  Imagine you've just had the best manicure of your life and can't stop looking at your new shellac."

It certainly worked for me.  I am now a lot better at following my hand with my eye.  

similar correction about hands / eyes in port de bra   ' you have your phonein your ahnd  with a selfie of your lover  on the screen , you can;t take your eyes off them '

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anna du Boisson: "Don't dance like a stick insect!"

Well, I'm glad we've made that completely clear. [Actually it was the prelude to a really good point about chainé and soutenu - you're constantly told to stretch the knees, straighten the leg, and turn out, but to get this right you need to initiate the turn with a tiny plié and slightly relax the turnout]

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Renato Paroni: "if you want a better balance, let the fingers lead the port de bras"

(it was a developpé devant on relévé and it ****ing worked!)

Also RP: "Jellyfish the arms...not the shoulders"

(Not sure if I jellyfished correctly)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had a good one in class.  

"Stop looking at the floor.  Imagine there's someone really handsome opposite you and you are giving them the eye and flirting with a smile."

It does work.  I actually have a picture of my father on the wall and I make eye contact with it to ensure I'm keeping my head up and to look at when spotting.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anna du Boisson today:

"It was Rudolf Nureyev who told me this...turn off your second foot"

I did try it but it might have worked better for him

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A beauty from today's carnage at noon:

"Show us the DANCER, Fiona!"

The point was to show that rather than just dry technique but I am now desperate to find an excuse to say this to someone

• Like 2

Got a good one in 1980s dance this week.  We were dancing to "Like a Prayer."  Teacher said "you're dancing like a high church choir.  You need to be more Pentecostal and flow with it so we can see the feeling."

I'd never thought of it that way but the visual was amusing. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I love the way Nina T-M sometimes says "This will cost you" - when something might be tough or uncomfortable or hurt, but will result in better technique & easeful movement ... I think of this comment when my gym trainer makes me do 20 burpee box jump overs (I did this 5 times today, interspersed with the assault bike). This will cost me, but the gains!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"If we were in the US, there would be plenty of gardens with skeletons in"

Huh? Right, *Halloween*

"It's the rotation of the ulna! without that, no tools, no agriculture, no culture, and no dancing! we would be mere animals!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anna du Boisson today: "Your arms shouldn't be high, or low, but....effective."

Also: "when you are in fifth, push down through the floor with your heels and you will feel your inner thighs engage".

Not surreal, but definitely useful.

• Like 2

Not too many Ronde De Jambes in the swimming pool though ....have been suffering from hip flexor injury brought on by too much enthusiastic ballet exercises including  jumping and fouettes etc in the swimming pool last month. No ballet for four weeks already 😩

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Useful: "in an extension balance, only two or three of your toes are really in contact, so it's crucial that you overcross as you reach"

Cryptic: "The head is, in general, attached to the body"

General exhortation: "Bring all the LIGHT and LOVE in the world in and then THROW IT OUT AGAIN!!!"

it was a very good class.

• Like 1

I got the best one tonight in my street class at Pineapple.  We were doing an NSYNC number.  "You're dancing like you're in Bognor Regis - far too relaxed.  Be more fierce and energised"

I've not been to Bognor Regis so don't know how they dance but the image was quite amusing.  

My ballet teachers never say anything that entertaining.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...