Now That's What I Call A Correction Volume 1

TYR

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night our teacher said "You know when you get on the bus, the suspension goes psssshhhhh and the bus slowly lowers so older people can get on?" Of course, this resulted in puzzled looks. "That's how you should land from a jump."

i can appreciate that as a metaphor 

"It's not a feeling; it's more of a sensation"

we are straying into cap'n Jack Sparrow territory here, a bit like the  'gatecrashers'  (from int / advanced)  in  parts of  'beginners' class i attend  ...  ' they're  more guidelines you see ' ... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night we were doing a barre exercise with tendu and coupe. Miss said when going from 3rd (or 5th) to the coupe, image your foot moving like a caterpillar. I've never thought about this before, but it makes perfect sense!

• Like 1

DD's teacher went through a strange period of focusing on one particular correction, almost to the point of mania, for a random fortnight earlier this year but I've no idea what she was referring to or why. Either the correction has been applied or she's given up as I've not heard reference to it lately.

"Watch your filangees!" Or Phil and gees. Feelanjis.

What was she going on about? I don't like the sound of it which is why it stuck in my mind. I think (before you correct me) that a philangee to a dancer is like a gill on a fish? Behind the ear. Or in region of inside upper thigh of which I don't wish to speak.

It's the type of word that just makes me want to pluck out my mind's eye.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of days ago, Miss said when you're doing an arabesque imagine your peering out of a stable door. (Basically lean forward a bit at the waist.)

I had an excellent moment in class. Miss is ex-BRB and she was one of my favourite dancers.  :wub:  She was doing a new sequence (nothing complicated) and we were marking it with the music. Off she and I went, but the rest of the class didn't, so I got to dance with her, which was lovely :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Henriette at Central on Sunday:

You have the right to occupy space!

Sounds like a futuristic protest campaign. Occupy Space! It did seem to help with those attitude turns though!

• Like 2

Not particularly a correction but more an observation - a teacher once turned to a pupil in my dd's class and likened her to fine french furniture "beautiful to look at but nobody wants to buy" he then turned to my dd and said " and you are like IKEA furniture functional and everybody buys it".  We have never been able to fathom out whether or not it was a criticism or a compliment!!  :D

• Like 2

I'd see it as a compliment.

I was in class a couple of weeks ago - the first time for that teacher at that studio, and she picked me out & asked me "Are you Cechetti trained?" (Yes, I am), and she commended my fluidity & dance quality to the class - I said I was faking it, and she said "Yes, of course!" 

I think that was a compliment!

And of course, as soon as I was picked out in class, I made a mistake ...

• Like 1

Not particularly a correction but more an observation - a teacher once turned to a pupil in my dd's class and likened her to fine french furniture "beautiful to look at but nobody wants to buy" he then turned to my dd and said " and you are like IKEA furniture functional and everybody buys it".  We have never been able to fathom out whether or not it was a criticism or a compliment!!  :D

Hard to tell , maybe dancer 1  is form over function and  your DD is  not as technically perfect but has 'sparkle'  and presence ... 

• 4 weeks later...

I have one teacher who seems to think that the more gruesome the imagery, the better it will stick in your mind. The one we got recently was 'imagine someone has stabbed a barbecue fork into the front of the thigh, all the way to the bone, and now they're yanking it to the side. Your thigh has to turn with the fork, doesn't it? That's turnout!'

It actually seems to work quite well, though of course it started up a flurry of macabre descriptions for other things we needed to work on... Instead of supporting a tomato under our armpits, there was a toothpick waiting to stab us if we let our arms relax. There was a pin on the floor underneath our heel and if we lowered our releve too much it would stab us and we'd bleed all over the floor and cause a slip hazard for the girls in the next line.

• Like 5

"Do you know Dolce & Gabbana? Not my favourite designer - I worship Tom Ford - but imagine you're trying to squeeze into one of their dresses. Boys, you're, eh, wearing a dress too."

Also: "Make it a quarter turn, a half turn, a single, whatever. but whatever you do, I want it to be perfect!"

• 1 month later...