Olympics 2016

alison

Am I the only one (among UK readers, I suppose) feeling an odd sense of ... well, loss, I suppose ... that the Olympics won't be taking place in the UK this time around?  I'm wondering if this is a sort of natural post-hosting-Olympics slump, and whether things will be fine by the time the 2020 Games come around.

• Like 3

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where you're coming from alison, the London games were marvellous, is it really four years ago? On another note, I find it incredible, some of decisions of the Olympic Committee or whoever. The farcical events of the Russian team  for instance, golf taking part, (darts next maybe) Professionals versus amateurs in the boxing, etc etc. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one (among UK readers, I suppose) feeling an odd sense of ... well, loss, I suppose ... that the Olympics won't be taking place in the UK this time around?  I'm wondering if this is a sort of natural post-hosting-Olympics slump, and whether things will be fine by the time the 2020 Games come around.

Yes Alison, I feel quite deflated.

I was anticipating that the London Olympics would be a dreadful anti-climax but in reality it was a wonderful experience.  We were glued to the television from the moment we got up to the moment we went to bed.

I don't know how Rio will work because of the time difference.  I'll still be watching though.

• Like 1

I remember going to London to the ballet during the 2012 Olympics and the atmosphere was incredible, as soon as I arrived at Victoria Station it was like a carnival, everywhere I went there seemed to be music, I couldn't stop smiling!

• Like 7

I had an idea the other day that it might be better if cities awarded the summer Olympics were awarded them for two consecutive games. If the cities had more notice (I think they get 7 or 8 years at the moment?) AND knew the structures they built had to be sufficient to last for two Olympics, there would be less rush to plan and build, and you should not - in theory - have hastily built poor quality structures or accommodation.

It would also give host cities longer to formulate a realistic legacy plan for what do do with the Olympic Village after the second games there.

So say in 2005, Rio had been awarded the 2020 and 2024 games, and in 2013 the next city was awarded the 2028 and 2032 games. Gives them 15 years to plan and build instead of 7, AND they know they will get 2 games' worth of revenue instead of just one.

• Like 6

Plus I'd have thought the costs of having to do it twice might well bankrupt many cities :)

BTW, UK viewers will probably need to retune their TV sets/set-top boxes etc. if they want to get all the Red Button channels available for the Olympics.  And that reminds me ...

• Like 1

It's certainly proving to be an eventful (dangerous for some :( ) Olympics so far! Fortunately at the moment the equestrian cross-country course seems much safer than the cycling road race course.

And rowing has taken place today too as the wind has thankfully dropped. :)

• Like 2

How stressful was that gymnastics all-round final?! Talk about down to the wire. Fantastic bronze for Max Whitlock. :)

Speaking of green water - it's a lack of alkalinity which has caused an algae bloom, apparently - not only is the diving pool becoming ever greener, but the adjacent water polo pool has joined in now! Even if it doesn't cause the divers a problem, the Synchro Swimming is coming up and if they plan to use the water polo pool for that then the organisers need to bung a hefty dose of algae clear in beforehand.

Edited for typo

• Like 3

God, stressful, yes - that following the diving made a nervous wreck of me last night. Fantastic performances all round. And very impressed by how cool and composed Max Whitlock was, given that awful situation of having to watch his rivals compete after him and just having to wait for their scores!

Needed a glass of wine after all that (my excuse, anyway! ????)

• Like 4

Only thing I caught yesterday ....how on Earth do they stay in those kayak things .....I'd be out in a millpond in one of those!!

Very exciting though .....especially that last run....would it be Gold or Silver! Just having to watch and wait must have been excruciating.

Only thing I caught yesterday ....how on Earth do they stay in those kayak things .....I'd be out in a millpond in one of those!!

Very exciting though .....especially that last run....would it be Gold or Silver! Just having to watch and wait must have been excruciating.

They are strapped in - there was an item on BBC Breakfast this morning!

• Like 1

Umm I'd be terrified upside down but suppose you get used to it.

Just having a memory of when I was about 19 I gave up canoeing....an easier boat to,manage than a kayak I think because we had to learn to do a roll over in the water!! And even though I'm a good swimmer I just couldn't face it in the canoe!!

Have to say I am very proud of our sports men and women and their performances and attitudes in the Olympics.  We are a relatively small country with a tiny population and yet we are 8th in the medal tables with 16 medals, 4 of which are gold.  This says a lot about the training, strength, determination and endurance of our athletes, and the number of people who wish to train so hard. 

• Like 6

Michael Phelps, on his own, would currently be 9th or 10th in the medals table :)  That was an incredible swim last night, and I feel really sorry for the two swimmers who made the mistake of trying to keep up with him :(

• Like 2