Strange Signs

taxi4ballet

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We went for a lovely walk this morning in the sunshine, and had a bit of a chuckle along the way.

There is a footpath which runs down between some houses and leads out onto fields beyond. At each end of the footpath, someone has attached a sign to the fence which reads:

Take care

You are entering

Dog Poo Alley

YUK!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just home after a long and boring drive up the M23, M25, M11, A1 etc etc, I was temporarily amused and distracted somewhere along the way, by a road sign indicating a crematorium off to the left. A few feet further on there was another sign saying No Dumping. :huh:

• Like 8

My local Morrisons has a sign outside saying "Start Saving For Christmas".

that's more of a customer base indicator; Lidl has theirs out on January 5th and Waitrose only on December 10th ;)

edit: I have no idea how I've just come to comment on a three year old post! sorry!

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Driving down the high street of a nearby town, I saw a billboard sign on the pavement for 'Quality Solicitors', offering various services including Divorce from only £110!!! There was an * next to the !!!, so I imagine the 'from only' part is open to interpretation. Still possibly a bargain though. The degree of the quality was not specified.

At the moment I passed the sign, the radio was playing When Love Breaks Down by Prefab Sprout. How appropriate.  :(

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

While on holiday last week we visited the loveliest picture-postcard seaside village, bobbing painted yachts, gorgeous thatched cottages, marvellous views, ancient beautiful church, the lot.

As we were walking through the village and quite near the shore, we noticed a delightful little house for sale, and were thinking wow, how great to live in a place like this. Then we noticed the name painted on the gate and decided perhaps not, after all!

'Flood Cottage'

:D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With apologies for lowering the tone :), you've reminded me of a sign spotted in the ladies' loos in a theatre some months ago:

"All sanitary ware must be deposited in the Southalls bins provided ..."  I was trying to work out how on earth you could fit a washbasin or a toilet bowl in the bin!

• Like 1

As long as the tone has been lowered :D, I remember seeing a neon sign inside the childrens' section of a department store a while back which had lost some of its letters. So instead of "Great Clothes To Grow Up In," it actually said (and I don't know whether this really was random or if it had been tampered with), "Great Clothes To G-o- -P In."

On the subject of missing neon letters, our local Safeway (yes, we still have Safeway over here, it hasn't turned into Morrison's) had lost some of its letters and instead of saying SAFEWAY it just said -AFEW--. Not the greatest of advertisements.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

As long as the tone has been lowered :D, I remember seeing a neon sign inside the childrens' section of a department store a while back which had lost some of its letters. So instead of "Great Clothes To Grow Up In," it actually said (and I don't know whether this really was random or if it had been tampered with), "Great Clothes To G-o- -P In."

On the subject of missing neon letters, our local Safeway (yes, we still have Safeway over here, it hasn't turned into Morrison's) had lost some of its letters and instead of saying SAFEWAY it just said -AFEW--. Not the greatest of advertisements.

I think it must have been tampered with but I like it. Somebody had a sense of humour!

I recall a few years ago, the big supermarkets were having a back to school literacy drive, which mostly involved flogging related wares. It's not just about the money after all, they really do care about whether the kids can read and write! <_<

The effort was somewhat undermined by our local emporium displaying their name as Morrisons's.

Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Called in the office on the ground floor this afternoon. They have a framed certificate stating they were the runners up in the Happiest Office competition. They are officially the second happiest office in the county I think, not in the country or even in the building.

I'm not sure how high the happiness bar was set - all the time, most of the time, at least some of the time. As one of the runners up said, you can't be happy all the time. If that was the requirement, the winners must have been faking it. Coming second is an easier standard to maintain.

No surprise our lot didn't bother entering the comp, or even know about it. I had never heard of it but I would've been prepared to make an effort. Especially if there was a cash prize.

• Like 2