Strange Signs

taxi4ballet

I was following a builders van the other day and was slightly taken back by its advertising. Under the list of services offfered i.e. loft conversions,  extensions etc was a picture of a ladder and some tools then the words:

'Let us handle your erections"

I couldn't believe my eyes!

Back on the food though when youngest dd was tiny she kept asking for 'pink bananas' and for ages we had no idea what she wanted. Eventually turned out to be prawns!

• Like 4

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was following a builders van the other day and was slightly taken back by its advertising. Under the list of services offfered i.e. loft conversions,  extensions etc was a picture of a ladder and some tools then the words:

'Let us handle your erections"

This could prove lucrative.

• Like 2

Back on the food though when youngest dd was tiny she kept asking for 'pink bananas' and for ages we had no idea what she wanted. Eventually turned out to be prawns!

They grow red bananas in Zanzibar, and when you peel the the banana the fruit inside is pink!

It is rather a long way to go just for a banana though :)

• Like 1

Ooo which I could get hold of one - think I might have to do some serious research. DD would be most impressed! Love the idea of asking her if she wants some pink bananas and then when she is expecting prawns actually give her pink bananas!

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another door one. Where I go to yoga on Fridays last week had a sign on the big double door going through to several rooms "Please do not open this door" oh better go home again then! Luckily it appeared to be redundant.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a sign, but does anyone remember the Corsa ad from a few years ago where one of the Corsas ended half way up a lamp-post.  Well I turned a corner one day and there was a car stuck into a lamp-post looking remarkably similar to the one in the ads!  I would guess joy riders had had an accident....

Okay I'll just put this out there under the heading of cultural differences - :P

I emitted some pretty odd sounds in the middle of Tesco's on Goodge Street when I first moved there, having never seen spotted dick before...

Even though I know that's not a sign...

I do like one I see in New York that warns:  "Don't even THINK of parking here!"

Not to mention waiting for a bus beside an advert that boasted, "Brains Makes The Best Faggots"...

Edited by victoriapage
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

My company has just spent some time having new signs printed for the various offices, telling you who or what is behind the closed door.  The door to the room where all the official paper, pens, desk diaries and so on are kept now has a large, smart new sign saying:

Stationary Cupboard.

Whew, well there's a relief.  Nothing worse than roaming cupboards!

• Like 4

Reminds me of trying to remember which was which as a child.

I did it by the stationary with the "a" is for standing ( still ) which also has an "a"

When it's the stationery with the "e" it has an "e" like letter.

A bit long winded but it worked for me!

• 2 months later...

I was always amused by a sign on a wire fence round a disused petrol station explaining that "In order to serve you better, this location is closed." This was followed by directions to the next nearest one, which if memory serves was more than 5 miles away. So glad they were trying to serve their customers better.

Then there was the wonderful billboard a few Christmases ago, advertising a local jewellery shop: "Ladies, come in any time. Gents, see you on Christmas Eve." Obviously the owner knew a thing or two about the Christmas shopping habits of men and women.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Another sign on a van:

"Tree Experts"

This time the van belonged to some tree surgeons and was parked on a river embankment the other day. A couple of workmen were standing nearby and carefully examining a tree.

Well you wouldn't need to be all that much of an expert to deduce what was amiss with the tree in question - it had quite clearly fallen in the river  ;)

• Like 4