Glyndebourne2016

MAB

I'm going to Meistersinger and Beatrice & Benedict.  As I'm going to Meistersinger on opening night, less than two weeks away, I'm encouraged by the change in the weather - let's hope it lasts!

Because the tickets for Meistersinger were so expensive, that was all I could run to this year.  If I see Barber of Seville it'll be at the Proms... and I'm off work on what I've deduced must be dress rehearsal day for Midsummer Night's Dream, so I'm going to see if any of my friends and acquaintances who work at Glyndebourne may be able to come up with a rehearsal ticket for me.

I'm going to Meistersinger and Beatrice & Benedict too, also Midsummer Night's Dream.  Prices are getting scary now, I often stand at Glyndebourne but I'm getting too old to stand for Meistersinger.  I saw it last time they did it and was overwhelmed by Gerald Finley's performance as Hans Sachs, beautiful production too.  Looking forward to Tim Mead as Oberon as well.

Last year I had no luck with the weather at all and even arrived late for Rape of Lucrecia after getting stuck on the M25 as a result of 'Operation Stack'.  I'll be setting out at the crack of dawn this year!

Sadly the rain has started just as I began to type these words!  Let's hope it is a temporary glitch, although the rest of this week isn't looking too great.   I've only been to Glyndebourne once;  the weather was lovely, it was a wonderful Clemenza di Tito, and we couldn't have asked for a better time.  Sadly, I just can't afford it anymore, and the tickets are so difficult to get anyway. 

So....I look forward to hearing about it from both of you, and anyone else lucky enough to attend!

I've only ever been in the Autumn to see the touring company there and when tickets are much cheaper.

Last time I went it was the end of October and a full on fog!! Couldn't see a thing!!

However if you can get the weather the grounds are beautiful to sit in such a lovely place and setting.

I can guarantee it will be a really lovely summer this year as our neighbours are having big extension works including demolishing part of a retaining wall in the garden.

They said the other day they will be moving out whilst it's all going on......lucky them!!

I'm going to B&B and Meistersinger , with the best seat in the house and a picnic for the interval...at my local Picturehouse...quite a bargain, relatively speaking...

Wish they were screening MND.

• Like 1

Sadly, I just can't afford it anymore, and the tickets are so difficult to get anyway.

I don't know if you're aware, but they are MUCH easier to get than they used to be; as of a couple of years ago, they put returns back up for sale on their website.  I've come by a few decent, fairly affordable returns at short notice.  I can't speak for your financial situation, of course, but just so you know it's an option.

I'm a Festival Society member, but to be honest, if I wasn't already, I probably wouldn't bother, now that getting returns is that much less of a faff than it used to be.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...