What are you doing this weekend?

annaliesey

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Willard Wigan exhibition at the MAC in Birmingham with a related display in Cannon Hill park.

Dd would recommend the cinema at the Mailbox regardless of the films on show.

Edited to correct name

Edited by Jane

Will definitely be visiting the art gallery - for a lovely cup of tea if nothing else ..

Stage Manager son used to work at Town Hall.  He was offered follow spot work there.  However, to get to the follow spot platform you have to go up a narrow ladder, and as this is the only way out, the fire escape is to go on the roof and then go down a chute airline-style over the edge of the building.  You have to prove you can do this before you are allowed to work as a spotter.  The first time he went down he was frankly terrified, the second was fun, the third time he was told off for waving to all the people watching in the offices opposite as he descended!

• Like 1

Hopefully we are going to the beach as long as it isn't too hot to leave the dogs at home. Amy doesn't travel well and two hot, unhappy dogs in the back of the car isn't fair to our eldest ex dd or we'd take them too.

I remember the Art Gallery salmon sandwiches very well.  As a young teenager I sometimes went in to Birmingham early with my dad when he went to work or caught a later train. I always went to the Art Gallery for my lunch and then went back and shopped some more until my dad finished work and I came home with him.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Janet that takes me back to when a training ship was in Dartmouth.  I went to use the shower facilities at the Royal Yacht Club.  I was scruffy and grubby from my week of learning how to sail a yacht and the ratings from the training ship had to salute me when I entered the Club.

• Like 2

Doing a mini-Olympics today for 30-odd guests from Mrs Q's tennis teams.  We have badminton, mini-tennis, table tennis, golf putting and an equestrian event that sees my tractor dressed up as a horse and navigating obstacles in the paddock. We decided archery and air rifle would have been asking for trouble.  My son has just cleared off to work for the day without setting up the sound system and it's blowing a gale, but apart from that it's looking good!

• Like 6

Driving my daughter to the airport, she's off to spend a few days on holiday with boyfriend and family.

It's a real head vs heart thing.  Head says why shouldn't she.  Heart says she sees him (and his family) all the time during term time - he's a day boy and she spends a lot of time round there - but  heart says she's only home for 4 nights between beginning of term and the Christmas holidays (orchestral course at half term) and I would have loved to have spent the post exam, post son-starting-first-job-abroad, time with her.  Particularly sore as he hasn't been up to see us this holidays as he needs to earn some cash and has a summer job.  All seems a bit one sided and has lead to bad feeling between the two of us.

Meanwhile Janet, any suggestions for the best thing to do in Liverpool tomorrow?  Any suggestions anyone on how to persuade my heart to listen to my head?

Liverpool could well be busy because it's the Beatles convention weekend; not sure if there are specific public events on tomorrow.

Places of interest: (near Lime St station) Walker Art Gallery, World Museum (great Egyptian collection), St George's Hall

Near Pier Head - exhibition about The Jam in Cunard Building, Tate Liverpool, Museum of Liverpool, Maritime Museum, Albert Dock, Ferry across the Mersey (should be a cruise like voyage)

Liverpool One shopping centre and beyond (includes Odeon Cinema with IMAX screen too)

The 2 cathedrals

Or go to the beach if the weather is nice and see my beloved Iron Men (check tide times though).

• Like 2

I really fancy going to Anderby Creek which is largely deserted even at this time of year. It depends how my husband feels. We've just come home from visiting my parents and the drive back was horrible thanks to a horrendous downpour.