Royal Opera 2016-17 season

alison

Hmmm....some very interesting programming there. I notice there have been a few negative comments abo ut Netrebko in Norma. For those more knowledgeable than me, what do you think of this? And Kaufman as Otello?

After recently seeing Bartoli in Norma, part of me feels unable to watch it for a while and to be honest I can't imagine Netrebko in the role at all.  On the other hand my compatriot Joseph Calleja is singing Pollione and I always go to his performances, so something of a dilemma for me.  Kaufman as Otello may well work as I think the role would suit his voice type.

Looking forward to seeing Villazon as Nemorino and Grigolo as Hoffman.  I love Adriana Lecouvreur and Gerald Finley as Michonnet makes it luxury casting.  Very happy Bychkov is conducting at RO again.

Although the chance to see Handel's Oreste has to be a highlight of the year, I'm starting to wonder if it is now a policy to keep baroque works off the main stage,  The works shown at the Sam Wannamaker suited that venue perfectly, but Handel deserves the main house surely.

• Like 3

Traviata AGAIN? Oh well, it'll keep the accountants happy.

Ironic, isn't it, that ENO do a new Norma and there's all the publicity about how long it's been since the last one, and then two come along at once!

• Like 2

I think the thing I love most about the opera season announcement is the grumbling and moaning of the army of melodramatic armchair directors of opera in the comments thread.

I was going to avoid revivals of the current Manon Lescaut production since I wasn't in any way fond of its sexism and the motorway flyover, but they've cast Sondra Radvanovsky who I've been dying to see again after a fantastic Tosca.

Even for the Traviata there are a couple of castings I feel I have to book since they were so very good as stand-ins in previous seasons. Artur Rucinski was one of my favourite Germonts, and Ekaterina Bakanova was a breath of fresh air as Violetta.

I might sit out Elisir and Trovatore but will probably give most things a go this season, most excited about Oreste, Hoffman & Rosenkavalier (not seen any of them live before), Terfel / Pappano Meistersinger, Jaho as Butterfly (though generally I could do without a Butterfly this season...) and curious / hopeful for Netrebko's Norma and Kaufman's Otello.

Don't get why The Nose will be sung in English translation, or why they keep bringing Oren back to conduct.

I think the thing I love most about the opera season announcement is the grumbling and moaning of the army of melodramatic armchair directors of opera in the comments thread.

Know exactly what you mean.  I can't help thinking that the only thing to makes these guys happy would be the RO resurrecting Callas.

• Like 1

Know exactly what you mean.  I can't help thinking that the only thing to makes these guys happy would be the RO resurrecting Callas.

They'd be complaining that she's just not what she used to be....

• Like 1

After recently seeing Bartoli in Norma, part of me feels unable to watch it for a while and to be honest I can't imagine Netrebko in the role at all.  On the other hand my compatriot Joseph Calleja is singing Pollione and I always go to his performances, so something of a dilemma for me.  Kaufman as Otello may well work as I think the role would suit his voice type.

Looking forward to seeing Villazon as Nemorino and Grigolo as Hoffman.  I love Adriana Lecouvreur and Gerald Finley as Michonnet makes it luxury casting.  Very happy Bychkov is conducting at RO again.

Although the chance to see Handel's Oreste has to be a highlight of the year, I'm starting to wonder if it is now a policy to keep baroque works off the main stage,  The works shown at the Sam Wannamaker suited that venue perfectly, but Handel deserves the main house surely.

I'd go along with most of that, Mab.

I have to say that I've always been underwhelmed by Netrebko but I love Calleja so I will be there. What a pity that Radvanovsky is cast in the unappetising 2014 Manon Lescaut since the only way that I think I could stomach it again is with the aid of a blindfold. Can I suggest she does a swap with the lovely Anna?

Two interesting casts for Otello, think I'm going to have to see them both, and, like you, I am similarly delighted that Bychkov will be back for Cosi. Any idea what we can expect, though, from a Jan Philipp Gloger production?

Wilton's could be an interesting venue for the Handel but, from a purely practical angle, does anyone know what the parking is like?

Grigolo should pull off Hoffman admirably but what are the odds on Villazon making the cut next season? Is Alagna lined up for the entire run if not?

And what about the later works? The fabulous Barbara Hannigan makes Written on Skin a must-see (so sorry she isn't doing the Ligeti at the Barbican with Simon Rattle), ditto The Nose, which I haven't seen before, although I'm not so sure about The Exterminating Angel. Does anyone have any views as I've heard very mixed reports.

• 2 weeks later...

After recently seeing Bartoli in Norma, part of me feels unable to watch it for a while and to be honest I can't imagine Netrebko in the role at all.  On the other hand my compatriot Joseph Calleja is singing Pollione and I always go to his performances, so something of a dilemma for me.

No longer. Netrebko has pulled out of the role, on the basis that her voice has evolved in a different direction from when she and Pappano discussed her doing the role 7(?) years ago. Or something like that.

No idea but why, oh why, can't the powers that be sign up Mariella Devia, surely the best living Norma by a mile, with the power to lift the hairs down the back of your spine, still at the top of her game and, I would have thought, likely to be free.

• Like 1

Just announced: Sonya Yoncheva will be the ROH's Norma. Quite unexpected, I would say!

I'm with you, Scheherezade... I was hoping for Devia too. (I hope you're aware of her upcoming Wigmore Hall/Rosenblatt recital.)

• Like 1

Yes, Ruth, I, too, was surprised. I did think that the ROH would go with one of the pool of younger sopranos that they seem so keen to promote, but I must admit that I hadn't thought of Sonja Yoncheva. Well, we will see what we will see. And, yes, I am aware of Devia's Wigmore recital and I will be there. All I can say re the Norma casting is what a missed opportunity and what a pity for the ROH audiences.