JA Auditions

swanprincess

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel Sparkle123. I nearly accepted a SWL place for another centre as well as London before coming to my senses and realising that even if a place were to come up I couldn't get DD there when other DD already dances in London on a Saturday!!

It won't 'clear' as such....... Places *do* come up from waiting lists, it just depends on who accepts/declines/changes their mind/ gets a better offer etc to determine how many places come up. I have heard of people asking to find out where on the waiting lists their dc are, but i don't know if that's true.

My dd was on the swl for mids last year, and a place never became available for her. She got swl again this year (!) and has just been offered a place.

Well done to your dd on getting a waiting list place- that's a fantastic achievement in itself!!

• Like 2

Hi, I tried to do a bit of digging and was told that they don't pre-allocate an order as such to the SWL but consider everyone on it again if a place comes up. That being the case, I have assumed that they don't have huge numbers on the list. I know of there being some movement in the past in London for MA and SA places but don't personally know any dc who have secured a JA place in London from SWL.

• Like 1

Thank you Gowiththeflo and congratulations to your DD!

MAK, appreciate your feedback.

Will keep our fingers crossed and if this year doesn't work for DD will try next year. The audition process was welcoming and professional, all girls looked happy.

In 2016 there were 1200+ applicants, 850 chose london as their preferred location.

I did some historical analysis:

According to the 2015 RBS annual report.

Last year there were 929 applicants to RBS JA, 333 auditioned in london (266girls/67boys). - page 14

2015 Intake was 26girls/20 boys across 8-10 years in london

Based on the 2014 RBS annual report data

928 kids applied, 339 in London (294 girls of which 28 accepted), 45 boys applied /15 accepted

Page 12

10% intake for girls and 33% for boys are valid.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Yes, from the same place as the leotard. However, it is just a length of satin ribbon, about 1.5 cms wide in a french navy colour (ie not really dark navy) so if you have a local haberdashery nearby it might be cheaper than paying postage just for the ribbon (assuming you've already got the leotard....) ????

I'll have a few more practise attempts I think before next week. If all else fails I'll take it to my assistant brownie leader who is just amazing at all things with any fabric! I'm much better at the organising of dance practises/dance schedules/whats needed! But I'll get there. Thanks for your help

• 1 year later...

My DD's ballet teacher said that she won't get into JA's simply because of her feet, that they're not well arched. She recommends a foot stretcher (I know, I'm VERY cautious with this idea!).

However I just read that at the audition they will be looking at their feet so do you think that the teacher made a valid point?

Haven't heard from them yet, hoping that they'll let us know the dates/times by the end of this week (just a guess!).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdageKitty said:

My DD's ballet teacher said that she won't get into JA's simply because of her feet, that they're not well arched. She recommends a foot stretcher (I know, I'm VERY cautious with this idea!).

However I just read that at the audition they will be looking at their feet so do you think that the teacher made a valid point?

Haven't heard from them yet, hoping that they'll let us know the dates/times by the end of this week (just a guess!).

My DD really enjoyed her auditions for JA though her feet are also not well arched. She didn't get in, but it was a great experience. They do look at feet carefully in the audition. But bear in mind that feet are only a small part of what they look at, and it's hard to know in the end exactly how they differentiate between the many very talented, beautifully musical and passionate young dancers they see on the day :) They also look very carefully at turn-out, arms, neck, their line, shape and musicality. Realistically we found there is a very slim chance of getting through, but go in with the idea of just enjoying every minute of the day and shining as best you can. Good luck!

• Like 2

It’s a couple of years ago that my dd auditioned as she is now an MA, but my dd said in her audition they didn’t massively look at their feet (shoes off, show you can work through your toes etc but no individual examination etc) - she hadn’t got great arches at the time (she still hasn’t really although the exercises they are given have helped). She also couldn’t do any of the splits at her audition (still isnt quite in box) and really was not the most flexible child to be honest (lots in the audition were competitive stretching beforehand, even to the point of a flip!!! Standing casually with leg next to head etc for photos, you get the picture, while my dd was too intimidated to even warm up) and she said in the audition there was a fair bit of stretching in ther class  (splits, head on knees touch toes, frog etc) and she was in the bottom half of flexibility at least, but she just did her best and planted a smile on her face!   And she surprisingly got a place and absolutely loved her years as a JA. 

So what I’m saying is, don’t be put off auditioning. It is a mystery what they look for. My dd’s JA teacher on leaving told me they always liked her because she had that quality that you can’t teach, something that makes you watch her. What that is I don’t know, other than I think she always looks like she’s loving it.  So don’t be put off by not ticking every virtual box. Tell your dd to go in and love it. Love the experience, the opportunity to dance in fabulous studios with amazing teachers and a pianist, show them how thrilled they are to be there, look interested and engaged and willing to learn, and breathe. And smile. And perform. And have no expectations xxx good luck xxx 

• Like 10

My daughter is a JA and she doesn't have very well developed arches. However she does have a long kneck and legs and very slim. She does also have very strong legs and can balance for ages in her rises. 

Go for it. They are looking for potential. DD has weekly metatarsal exercises from RB and you can see her feet changing. 

• Like 1

I’ve had a few JAs and when I’ve watched the classes the only thing I would say they all have in common, is an aura of something you just can’t quite put your finger on. As a teacher I have had the odd shock student who got in when I wasn’t expecting it because I didn’t think they quite had the Royal physique and equally I’ve had the most royal looking children turned down. 

View it as a fun day out, throw in a little spot of lunch somewhere a little bit special and maybe some RBS merchandise, all of the kids I’ve sent over the years have loved the experience and I think the little bit of one on one time is always good. If nothing comes of it you’ve made some nice memories. 

• Like 12