JA Auditions

swanprincess

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When we went at that age it was a fun and friendly class where they are looking for musicality and a passion for dance as well as facility and ability to listen to and follow instructions !

No special ballet skill needed , so just tell him to show them how much he loves to dance and wants to learn more !

• Like 1

Don't think of it as an audition just an extra class with a different teacher. Have a great time and try and remember one new thing you've learnt to tell your parent/teacher after. The less pressure the children put on themselves to get in the more enjoyable it is

• Like 1

My dd auditioned for year 5 last year and said it was quite simple exercises, nothing she hadn't done before in a ballet class. Keeping in time with the music and showing a love of dance seem to be important. Also she said there was quite a long stretching session and she said she was one of the least flexible in there and there were several things she couldn't do as well as others but she just smiled and tried her best (I would agree with her assessment of this having seen some of the extreme warming up going on in the waiting room!) but she was so fortunate and got a place, and I don't think the ultra flexible girls we'd seen beforehand did, so they must just be looking for potential flexibility .. But who knows!! I hope he enjoys his day. My dd went in with no expectations and absolutely loved the class as the teachers are extremely welcoming xx

Edited by Balletmummy55
  • Like 1

My dd was unsuccessful for Yr 5 last year and is towards the flexible end of the scale (naturally, she would not have been warming up pre-audition as she's too shy and probably too lazy!) so I agree with Balletmummy55 that current flexibility is not by any means the be-all and end-all :-)

Also, worth bearing in mind that physique is a factor re JAs, if you don't have aspects of the physique they are looking for you may be unsuccessful regardless of level of flexibility or dance technique. 

Edited by amos73
  • Like 3

Its been a few years since my dd and friends did this as rising 9yrs; what they remember is that is was very exciting to get a day off school, they were a little surprised by the large number of children taking part - worth pointing out in advance? and it was also apparent (afterwards) that they did not understand what an 'audition ' actually was. They came out and exclaimed 'they kept staring at us!!!' which they thought very odd for a dance class. And the outcome? well some got in and some didn't. But they are all still dancing and loving it.

A lot has been said about the physical attributes necessary for a girl. Long legs,long neck,high insteps,small boned. But what about boys? What do they look for physically in boys? I don`t just mean Royal Ballet School /Associates. I mean boys generally who want to become classical dancers.

• Like 1

A lot has been said about the physical attributes necessary for a girl. Long legs,long neck,high insteps,small boned. But what about boys? What do they look for physically in boys? I don`t just mean Royal Ballet School /Associates. I mean boys generally who want to become classical dancers.

I only have limited experience with observing the class of JAs my y5 ds attends, but they tend to be slightly more varied than the girls. DS is tall, very slim (but fairly broad shouldered), with long neck, legs and arms and bendy feet. There are/were a couple of boys of a similar build. Others are much shorter/smaller. They all seem to have similar proportions, however. Sorry...I don't think this much help!

• Like 1

All what applied for the girls, only, of course more broad shest and shoulders and strong back and arms(for later on). Also paid more attention on ballon (jumps) and pirouette.

But due to less competitive level in boys, it's a bit more easy :)

Also as for JA level - pure natural abilities/potencial 'row material' is enough as good proportions, flexibility in joints rather than stretched and, of course musicality / some artistry and love for dance.

• Like 1

I assume they audition in their year groups? Also, my dd is currently in year 5 and so auditioning for the last year of JAs and I just wondered, are there actually any spaces left to audition for?! Or do all the current year 5 JAs just move up and take the spaces for next year? My dd is really looking forward to it for the audition experience but I just don't want her to get her hopes up at all high if in fact there's only maybe one or two places actually available? Can anyone advise?! I love this forum, by the way!

Hi Katia05, don't worry my dd first auditioned in Y4 and was offered a y5 place as some students will move up to the Y6 only class which is a separate class which frees up new places for the y4/5 class, well at our centre anyway it seemed to work that way anyhow. Good luck to your dd, my dd loved being a JA xxx

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

Sorry just realised I miss read your email! Your dd is auditioning for a y6 place next year, at the centre my dd goes to, the y6 class is only Y6s and y4/5s together in a class, so Y6 will have lots of new places available as the y4s will stay in the same class etc I assume it works like this elsewhere, so don't worry and good luck xxx

Ah I see, thanks for explaining. I know it's a long shot anyway, so we'll just make the most of the special audition day! My dd went on a JA experience day at Covent Garden in November and absolutely loved it so she was very keen to have a try, even if just to spend another session in the studios!

Hi Katia05 I think your dd has as good a shot as anyone for a Yr6 place so don't be put off. My DS was at one of the smaller centres where all the JAs (yr4, 5,6) are all taught together in the same class but every year there were always new JAs joining at Yr6. And certainly some of those new joiners then went on to be offered vocational school places for Yr7. If they like your DD I'm sure they will find a place. Good Luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Looking forward to the audition day anyway, and a glimpse into the RBS. The JA  experience day was really positive - lovely teachers and pianist, and the other girls were friendly too. Some had clearly come with their friends and mums from dance schools, but we were just on our own and my dd loved the whole day.

• Like 1

My DD was 7 when she auditioned for JAs and got in for a year 4 place.She is now at vocational school about to move up to Upper School.There were 4 other year 4s at the time in the JA class.The audition classes were grouped by age with the youngest last to dance.Before the audition the coordinator said thank you for coming we are all looking forward to seeing your lovely dancing.We are unlikely to offer places but I hope you all enjoy your class.We were therefore very shocked to be offered a place.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I heared about a new associate programme

In Kent called prima associates the teachers

Look amazing dose anyone have any info or is anyone going to these auditions

This thread is about RBS Junior Associates, Life, so is not the place to discuss other schemes otherwise it makes information difficult to find.

• Like 2

Does anyone know roughly when the dates for the London auditions might be sent out. I may need to book time off work to take my dd so wanted to be prepared. Thanks

It is more than a month post application closing date so I would contact them and ask which date your dd has been allocated.

• Like 2

Hi Dancey and welcome to the forum. They must be nearly ready to put out emails. 2 years ago they were sent out in March but everything is a bit later this year. All other audition results and places have now been confirmed. Why don't you give RBS reception a call. They are really helpful and won't mind you calling. Xx

Edited by TBG
  • Like 3