• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy that I got Mayerling and Jewels off my wish list, plus delighted at anything Ashton.  Sleeping Beauty will do me, though I do find it a bit long sometimes - hope they give some of the soloists everyone is raving about a chance at it that would be exciting and a nice change.  Anastasia is completely new to me so that will be interesting and I'm so glad most McGregor is lumped together so I can avoid it!  I completely missed all the hoo haa over Woolf Works - will have to investigate what it is about or maybe just do the cinema to save money in case I do not like it.

Newbie here... Season looks great, so much I want to see, but my challenge is more in finding someone willing to come with due to combination of volume/price considerations for non ballet lovers etc. Happy to sit alone (have booked for Bolshoi this summer as friends balked at prices even for Amphitheatre) but interval not much fun that way. Do you ever meet up at performances? 

Also, what sort of seating do you recommend? Was spoilt growing up in Manchester as my grandma always treated me - and the theatre just wasn't as expensive.  

I like a front row of Balcony or Amphi if I can!  Stalls are ok if you can afford those prices and can cope with any big heads in the way, but quite nice to do now and again to be closer to the stage.  I'm happy to meet anyone in the interval and often do, which helps you learn more about ballet too as there are so many knowledgeable people out there!  

• Like 3

In the past there has usually been a PDF document for the season which I print off - I do  not seem able to find one on the website have I missed it or wasn't there one  - anyone know? Thanks in advance.

The section "for press and media" includes a pdf file that describes the next season https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/for/pdfs/press-releases-15-16/THE-ROYAL-BALLET-2016-17-SEASON.pdf (there is also a pdf file for the next opera season)

• Like 3

Just spotted from that:

"Kevin O’Hare announces that former Royal Ballet Principals Viviana

Durante and Leanne Benjamin will return to the Company to coach roles

that they made their own during their careers; Viviana in a major revival of

Kenneth MacMillan’s Anastasia, and Leanne in Mayerling."

• Like 6

Does it necessarily mean they would be together in Symphonic as well, though, Fonty?  (I know several of them were in it anyway).

Personally, I'd like to see the cast we "accidentally" got on the first night of the last run, only this time scheduled, please.

• Like 1

The only mistake about the first night cast of Symphonic Variations at its last revival was that it included M.Golding. I hope that his non appearance in it was attributable to the rights holder recognising his unsuitability and putting her foot down. We won't get Hamilton this time either. Perhaps the casting will be somewhat more consistent this time rather than being chopped and changed as it was when last revived. I hope that Kevin recognises that, even as danced now the choreography requires a speed that some of the company's dancers can't manage. I also hope that he does not decide to cast Osipova in it.

• Like 1

Not ALL dancers can act that well and unfortunately Golding may be one of these. He's a very good Prince and I like his technique and style generally. I'd like to see him in something modern now.

I tend to think the same of McRae even though they are very different dancers ...Mc Rae is not the best of actors but still...in his case...a very exciting dancer.

It's great when a dancer does have it all so to speak but some people have been very unkind to Golding I think.

• Like 4

I have been away for work (but did see two performances by the Hamburg Ballet as it happens) and only just caught up on this board. 

The only thing I'm mildly surprised by is the fact that there does not appear to be any 'new narrative' piece specifically outlined for the 2016/17 season.  I had thought there had been a dedicated ten year plan for 'new narrative' works.  Perhaps I missed something here.  (Most likely I did.  I only gave it a cursory scan.)   Perhaps one of the new one acts will have a narrative thread and I just missed the notation.  

Perhaps Golding will be given the lead in Mayerling and surprise everyone, in the same way that Cope astounded me when he performed it.

People seem often to write that the reason Choe isn't always effective dramatically is because she has not been given chances as Juliet or Giselle, so let us hope that if Golding is cast as Rudolf those inclined to be negative are not on vehement. I have to say although I'm not Mr Golding's biggest fan in performance, he invariably comes across very well in the rehearsal videos made, and his qualities of height, strength and absolutely secure partnering are surely major positives. I'm not sure if some of the hostility is because he was brought in at principal level, but didn't he spend some time at the RBS. I'd agree that he seems to be cast other ubiquitously and I can't see how the pairing with Hayward would ever have worked but that's managerial practice: sometimes, what is written seems to veer uncomfortably towards the personal ....

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 1

They aren't always, NYCbird. There are many ballets that we haven't had for years: Sylvia, Ondine, Bayadere, just to name three full-lengthers. We usually have two or three seasons between Filles, but I am thinking that part of the reason for its revival next season is so that Roberta Marquez, one of the best Lises ever (IMHO) can come back and say a proper goodbye to the company and audience she served so well. The other reason, of course, is that it is totally fab and enduringly popular! :)

I had wondered if it might be Beauy but Fille definitely makes sense and I really hope they let her dance with Alexander Campbell - their partnership in that and in Don Q was entrancing. Does anybody know what Marquez is currently doing? I did think the whole business was very shabbily handled. Even if many of us had seen it coming, the very belated official confirmation rankled with me. However, there will inevitably be things going on behind the scenes of which we are not aware and one should probably resist the inevitable urge to speculate.

Jamesrhblack - Matthew Golding did spend time at the Royal Ballet School.

How can you say that Roberta Marquez's departure "was very shabbily handled" unless you know the people involved personally? [i do wish we could hold back on here from making assumptions like this.]

By the way, as mentioned elsewhere, Roberta seems (from various entries on Facebook) to be undertaking a lot of teaching. It is very pleasing that she will return for 2 performances of Fille.

Well, a dramatic reduction in her number of scheduled performances, the bringing in of an external Guest to take over what had been performances with her regular dance partner whilst this reduction in performances continued, and a confirmation that she was leaving the company only days before what was her final official performance seems "shabby" to me....

• Like 3

That appears to be an incredibly short run of Mayerlings - barely a couple of weeks.  I hope there aren't too many performances shoved close together, because it could become a complete nightmare if one (or worse still, more than one) of the Rudolfs were to get injured.

Yes, really annoying.  This is my favourite ballet and I want to see Watson more than once and at least one other - all in the space of fourteen days!  Irritating.

Did not Strapless become a co-production with the Bolshoi at some point, presumably before anyone had seen it in its entirety ? I think that the AD and Mr Wheeldon have to get it right, if they can, to avoid embarrassment and a lot of adverse comment and, or, Mr Vaziev quietly dropping the project. Although as it seems to have been created with Osipova in mind. it is questionable whether it could be dropped quietly. Whether it is possible to make Strapless a viable and theatrically effective work is another matter.

All the discussion is of course interesting but please does anyone know when we're actually going to get details of the Autumn casting? Will it be contained within the April House Magazine or, like last year, will it be deferred to a later date? Since most of the performing arts organisations are booking well into 2017 and one can't afford to hang around waiting, my diary for Period One is already getting very full!

The impression we got was that it became a coproduction *after* they'd seen it, wasn't it?  It was the apparent lateness of the announcement that raised eyebrows.

It was certainly a co-prduction with the Bolshoi in the program notes of the premiere of the performance. I am not sure if you mean that as the time that bolshoi saw it, but just as an FYI.

David,There are no casting details in the current About the House magazine. Let us hope that they are available before booking opens.

SwissBalletFan. My recollection is that we were told that Strapless was a co-production at about the time that it was due to receive its first performance rather than when the ballet programme was announced. This announcement, somewhat late in the day,suggests that it cost rather a lot to stage it and that the AD was anxious to share the costa with another company. The fact that it is now a co-production with the Bolshoi is ample reason to explain its revival in the coming season as there is a need on the part of the company and the choreographer to make it work as an effective theatrical piece. I am not convinced that it will be much better when it has been reworked. But we shall just have to wait and see.

Edited by FLOSS