Now, where's that cheque book.....

Not a heavy call on my cheque book next season (too many Beauties and Nuts for me) but I am glad to see Anastasia is returning as well as Mayerling and I think the casting will lead to much interest and excitement. [i have my lists already if you need any help, Kevin  :) ]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, lots to look forward to, but I'm also a bit disappointed because apart from the new works (obviously!) there's little that we haven't seen regularly in recent years. I would also not choose to revive the full-length Anastasia - the last act is powerful but I personally find the other acts weak choreographically, though they look good. (I think it also loses a lot of its power now we know that Anna Anderson was either deluded or deceiving and not in fact the tormented Anastasia. But maybe that's me being too literal.) But I will still go to it - sometimes works that I haven't enjoyed in the past suddenly come alive for me years later. Very pleased about Beauty (though it's stretching a point to describe it as being by 'Ashton' as the press release does). I'm not celebrating McGregor's 10th anniversary myself, though I will happily go to Woolf Works again. Can't wait to see the castings for all these works!

• Like 1

Newbie here... Season looks great, so much I want to see, but my challenge is more in finding someone willing to come with due to combination of volume/price considerations for non ballet lovers etc. Happy to sit alone (have booked for Bolshoi this summer as friends balked at prices even for Amphitheatre) but interval not much fun that way. Do you ever meet up at performances? 

Also, what sort of seating do you recommend? Was spoilt growing up in Manchester as my grandma always treated me - and the theatre just wasn't as expensive.  

I understand how lonely intervals can be; I always go by myself. My advice about cheap seating (I've been in and out of the Royal Opera House all my life, so I like to think this is reliable) is to go for the Upper Slips. It's cheaper than the Amphi and the view is better than way back in Row M. Everyone has their own preference though, and it may take years for you to find what works best for you personally.

• Like 1

A good mix of established and new, and the season nicely shows the breadth of the ever-increasing repertoire. The revivals of ballets that have only been shown recently should facilitate the rehearsal process and thus help with the production of the various mixed programmes and new choreographies. The long runs of Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty should allow for a number of exciting debuts. A lot to look forward too, and I am rather happy with the 2016/17 season.

• Like 1

Quite happy with this. Loooong Beauty run does make it a bit easier on time and pockets, and it looks like there is a nice gap in Jan that leaves me free for as many ENB Giselles as my heart desires (many).

I suspect I'll blow most of my pennies on Ashton, MacMillan, Jewels, Woolf Works (never thought I'd get excited about a McGregor) and the Pite.

If anyone could persuade the powers that be to move Strapless to the end of the bill it's in, that would be swell....

• Like 1

On a selfish note, having moved from the UK a couple of years ago, I'm pleased to see a diverse choice for the cinema relays. Whilst we're getting another relay of both Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty (I'll likely still go - I do enjoy the RB productions of both!), we're also getting Anastasia, Woolf Works, Jewels, and the Ashton triple. Plenty of pieces I have not seen (I've been wanting to see Anastasia since I first heard about it!). I was hoping that they may have relayed Carbon Life - but fingers crossed we might get a music recording this time (or even a digital video? It would seem like a video download would be a great way to generate interest amongst fans of the musicians who are unfamiliar with ballet?).

I think casting is going to be really exciting this season... Lots of chances for debuts in classic RB pieces and opportunities in mixed bills for dancers to shine (Really excited to see what the castings will be for Tarantella, M&A, Dream etc).

• Like 1

Casting is up for Les Enfants Terribles, the de Frutos work. 

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/les-enfants-terribles-by-javier-de-frutos

Three performances only, just the one cast. The dancers are Yanowsky, Watson, Nixon, Sveaas, Goddard and Gülgeç. 

Wow - Gemma Nixon and Thomasin Gülgeç!!  Wonder if I'll be able to get a ticket?

Much better than this current Season but as others have said, lots of ballets that we have seen recently and always do see, The Dream, Fille, M and A for example, would much rather see Daphnis and Chloe for a change, also Anastasia seems rather odd now that there is no longer any doubt as to the fate of the real Anastasia, like the two Tchaikovsky acts but not the last. I was really hoping that Woolf Works would be back, was expecting 3 casts but let's hope there will be 2 completely different ones this time.

Looking forward to Mayerling, and the triple bills look very interesting, especially the Strapless/Tarantella/Forsythe/Scarlett one. 

Casting is up for Les Enfants Terribles, the de Frutos work. 

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/les-enfants-terribles-by-javier-de-frutos

Three performances only, just the one cast. The dancers are Yanowsky, Watson, Nixon, Sveaas, Goddard and Gülgeç. 

I read the book a couple of years ago and found it rather gruesome. With that cast, however, I can't not try and get a ticket.

Irek Mukhamedov for Rasputin?  He's back in London and I'm sure if Ms Rojo was asked nicely she'd be prepared to release him for it.

Well, for the last few years I've been saying now Mukhamedov's retired from dancing can we have it put back to what it was, please? Ed Watson was marvellous last time around in the severely truncated role of the Husband, and I've always wanted to see him do it properly. OTH, I'm afraid it's years too late for the Anastasias I wanted to see (although if Galeazzi were to guest in that as well it would be something) :(

Wow - Gemma Nixon and Thomasin Gülgeç!!  Wonder if I'll be able to get a ticket?

Janet, I can't believe you're seriously ignoring Jonathan Goddard!

I am wondering whether the mods would please consider starting a new thread with post#47 so that we leave the speculation (and the other paraphernalia!!!) behind and move forward on the facts?

It would take an unconscionably long time and great amount of effort to split this thread in two, capybara, so no. However, I have edited BBB's original post to put the link to the season announcement.

• Like 2

Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker (sighs heavily) :( companies should only be allowed to do one or the other each year!

I do like both - though Beauty can be a bit of a long haul at times - but to have over 1/3rd of performances for the year between them, does seem a bit on the heavy side...

• Like 1

Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker don't have the same amount of classical dance in them. Nutcracker has a some very testing choreography in it but Beauty really tests a company's technical strength throughout the ranks and helps to maintain technical standards.I would rather have had Cinderella than Nutcracker but then everyone would have complained that everyone was doing Cinderella.In the video on the ROH website O'Hare spoke of the young dancers who would have the opportunity to dance in it without naming anyone in particular. If it means a whole lot of new Auroras then I shall not complain. All in all I don't think that there is too much to complain about in the 2016-17 season. The fact that both MacMillan and Ashton are getting two programmes and we are getting Jewels again is particularly good news. The Royal Ballet is after all a classical company.

• Like 2

Much better season than the current one, I'd say. Intrigued by Anastasia and also quite possibly the last Mayerling run with Watson at peak powers. I've only seen the Stanislavsky production with Polunin as Rudolf (very powerful). Delighted with Woolf Works return having absolutely adored it last time. Less than enthused for SB and Nutcracker, would be tempted to see Fille again if some of the younger dancers are given a shot (Nagdhi please!) 

Interesting question of who to cast as Marguerite. Half the principal roster seem very ill-equipped for the role. Would love to see Ferri, but that is a pipe dream...

Just to say, I have heard some pretty exciting rumours about Anastasia casting, so fingers crossed (even though it is a show I never felt really worked).

And for those who have commented negatively about the return of Strapless, Kevin O'Hare made it clear in the Sunday Times this week that it will be reworked for its second outing, so perhaps we should give it another chance.

I understand how lonely intervals can be; I always go by myself. My advice about cheap seating (I've been in and out of the Royal Opera House all my life, so I like to think this is reliable) is to go for the Upper Slips. It's cheaper than the Amphi and the view is better than way back in Row M. Everyone has their own preference though, and it may take years for you to find what works best for you personally.

Thanks for the suggestion, will give those seats a try for one production - might treat myself to pricier seats for Fille if I am going on my own! Never seen it live if you can believe it!

I'd agree with that Mary, although would love to see Cowley and Clarke (I doubt that will happen).

Personally, I'm delighted that Anastasia is back. Even if we now know that Anna Anderson was an imposter, the quest for identity remains potent and I can imagine Cuthbertson, Morera and Ospipova being astonishing in that last act, and possibly Hayward too.

With Acosta, Kobborg and Pennefather gone, who will be the new Rudolfs? With Benjamin, Cojocariu, Galeazzi and Rojo also gone and Hamilton still on leave, there will have to be some new Marys too. 

That appears to be an incredibly short run of Mayerlings - barely a couple of weeks.  I hope there aren't too many performances shoved close together, because it could become a complete nightmare if one (or worse still, more than one) of the Rudolfs were to get injured.

Am very happy with the new season as a whole ....cannot wait for the Ashton triple .....a fantastic evening at the ballet to me!

Also will be very glad to be able to see Anastasia again as it's been a long time now for me and will be interested to see how I feel about it now.

There's quite a few of the triples I've not yet seen and I missed Wolf Works first time round. Especially pleased to get any chance to see Jonathon Goddard again that will be great.

All in all not bad at all!

• Like 1