Crisis at the ENO

alison

Save_E.N.O. @Save_ENO Nov 26

#SaveENO is being silenced by those who refuse to have their plans questioned. To our supporters: thank you. We cease tweeting with this:

This in the wake of the 'thrilling' news of ENO's recent casting of Katherine Jenkins and Alfie Boe in 41 performances of Carousel close on the heels of a Coliseum season of Bat out of Hell.

I don't recognise any of the names!

Sim, I agree it's not like comment threads where (as I have seen on Lebrecht's blog and elsewhere) major opera names like Peter Jonas and Kasper Holten pop up. So maybe it depends on who one knows. But, one example, David Nice is a pretty distinguished critic, not usually associated with such unbuttoned remarks, which adds to the interest.

• Like 1

It is all sad beyond belief and I suspect that however many distinguished voices are raised against the campaign to destroy ENO they will go unheeded because the sole aim of Ms Pollock and the Board is precisely that - to destroy ENO not to revive or preserve it. 

Removing someone considered by the majority of interested punters to be an unsuitable incumbent is not without recent precedent (cf Emma Rice at the Globe and I consider Rice's productions to have far more artistic merit and originality than any of the forthcoming proposals for the Coliseum). Quite clearly ENO has no future under Ms Pollock but I doubt that this is a matter of particular concern for the Board or the irreplaceable Mark Wigglesworth would not have been allowed to leave.

What ENO needs is someone of the calibre of Ms Rojo at the helm. We shall have to see whether Daniel Kramer has her breadth of vision, artistic skills and the ability to lift an ailing organisation through strength of purpose and inspirational leadership.

• Like 1