Latest (and last) Dance Links - wb Saturday 21 January 2012

Each day we add the latest links to reviews and interviews that we find on the major newspaper web sites around the world. If you find a link that we have missed do please post it up, preferably as a URL link.

Last week's thread:

See last week's and earlier links here:

http://www.ballet.co...ry/todayslinks/

Reviews Database:

The review links we find go in a database - we have many thousands of entries and you can search it on company, dance, dancer, reviewer, publication, theatre, city or a combination of all of them! Just fill-in the boxes here:

http://www.ballet.co...h/db_search.cgi

Non Working Links:

Some papers move pieces on their websites so it is impossible to guarantee links. If you find a recent link that does not work and you have found a working version by all means post it up. And thank you!

Registering with papers:

It's an increasing fact of life that papers ask readers to register before letting them have free access to pieces. Usually registration is a one off process and then, providing you've ticked any obvious boxes, you should be remembered as a registered reader and the links we give should take you straight to the pieces. In registering for papers many people get themselves a Yahoo or Hotmail email account and thus protect their main email from any inadvertent problems.

Seeing Pieces Behind a Pay-wall:

Some papers have introduced a pay-wall. We don't generally list pieces we can't freely see. However some of the papers will show the article for free if the reader visits the page by way of a Google search. If we can do this then we list, but alas cannot give a 2 stage link - only the link that works if you are a subscriber. If you are interested but not a subscriber then use the details we give to search Google and take it from there.

And finally...

We should not need to state this but these links are for our readers' use and not for other websites to take and pass off as their own. We ask all visitors to respect Balletco's site and the way it operates.

Saturday's Links - 21 January 2012

Obituary: Rudi van Dantzig

by Ted Brandsen

"Inspiring, passionate, intense and true to himself - these are the first words that spring to mind when I think of Rudi."

Net Nationale Ballet website

Obituary: Rudi van Dantzig

"His work radiated style and colour. It looked fantastic. That was his strongest side."

DutchNews.nl

REVIEW: New York City Ballet

Diving Into Sea, and Then Gershwin

Ocean’s Kingdom, Le Tombeau de Couperin, Who Cares

USA, New York, David H. Koch Theater

Dancers: Bouder, Fairchild R, Hyltin, Kikta, La Cour, Mearns, Pazcoguin, Ramasar, Somogyi

by Gia Kourlas

"Ocean’s Kingdom, first performed in September, is as plodding as ever: four movements of static choreography by Mr. Martins, along with blandly sweeping music and a convoluted libretto by Mr. McCartney."

New York Times

Slideshow

REVIEW: San Francisco Ballet

Gala's depth, daring

Opening gala: The Flames of Paris, Number Nine, Classical Symphony, The Lady of the Camellias, Solo, The Dance House, and others

USA, San Francisco, War Memorial Opera House

Dancers: Boada, Chung, Domitro, Helimets, Karapetyan, Kochetkova, Mazzeo, Molat, Nedvigin, Scribner, Smith, Sylve, Tan, Van Patten, Yamamoto, Zahorian, Riabko

by Mary Ellen Hunt

"San Francisco Ballet dispelled any lingering gloom from the damp, chilly evening with a gala opening on Thursday night at the War Memorial Opera House that deftly showcased the company's notable versatility."

San Francisco Chronicle

Twinkle Toes Celebrate SF Ballet’s 79th Season

by Catherine Bigelow

"Umbrellas turned out to be the most fashionable accessory last night when, beneath stormy skies, the San Francisco Ballet celebrated its 79th opening-night gala ..."

San Francisco Chronicle

S.F. Ballet gala's Bella Notte a night to remember

by Catherine Bigelow

"Atop tables dressed in persimmon and cerulean linens, chef Lucas Schoemaker served up a masterful McCall Associates meal (prosciutto and funghi salad, fillet with gorgonzola ravioli, poached pear and coffee gelato) accompanied by William Hill Estate vino."

San Francisco Chronicle

REVIEW: Erica Essner Performance Co-op

Clouding Together for a Storm, and Shedding Light on Immigration Stories

FLICfest 2012: Weathered

USA, New York, Irondale Center

by Claudia La Rocco

"Ms. Essner favors handsome modern-dance phrases that make for pretty, polite pictures. Weathered never convinces that it exists to do more than serve as a framework for these images ..."

New York Times

REVIEW: Keith A Thompson

Clouding Together for a Storm, and Shedding Light on Immigration Stories

FLICfest 2012: Beginnings Forever Lost

USA, New York, Irondale Center

by Claudia La Rocco

"There are intriguing moments. But ... Beginnings Forever Lost feels hardly formed, as if Mr. Thompson’s ideas needed to simmer for a good deal longer, so that the work’s didactic message and slippery choreographic logic might find a better meeting point."

New York Times

REVIEW: Rubberbandance Group

Hip-hop and ballet in a soulful blend

Gravity of Center

USA, Philadelphia, Annenberg Center

Dancers: Hoglund, Le Phan, Mayo, Plamandon, Quijada

by Merilyn Jackson

"I like seeing hip-hop danced raw on the street, but seeing it danced more slowly and by well-trained dancers like these is like eating tournedos de boeuf instead of hot dogs. There's nothing wrong with hotdogging on the street, but it can go only so far."

Philadelphia Inquirer

REVIEW: China Jinling Dance Company

A Technicolor Garden

The Peony Pavilion

USA, New York, David H. Koch Theater

Dancers: Bo, Xinyu, Yanfeng

by Gus Solomons jr

"Pavilion reflects its culture, created to play to thousands in arena-sized venues. Everything about it is big –- even the lovers' intimate moments reach to the rafters. No need to fill in with your imagination; it’s all spread out in a lavish visual feast."

Gay City News

Q&A: Lighting Designer Michael Hulls

by Ismene Brown

"Lighting designers are either wizards or useful pedants. They scrupulously light the action or they make light speak its own language, activating space, time, illusion, imagination - inventing effects that your blinking eyes can only consider as magic."

The Arts Desk

Wendy Whelan: A Dancer Who Can Remember The Giants

by Claudia La Rocco

"If Wendy Whelan were a Hollywood star, glossy profiles about her would forever be opening with vignettes underlining how remarkably down to earth and likable she is ..."

New York Times

Johan Kobborg - a noted dancer’s first choreographic steps

by Carrie Seidman

"Anything I do besides my own dancing is play for me, in a sense," he said. "And I’ve enjoyed the process. I love getting an idea and trying to bring it to life. To get it out of my brain and my body and into someone else’s."

Sarasota Herald Tribune

Backstage at the Ballet with the comedy team of Kobborg & Webb

by Carrie Seidman

"'I only spoke to you because Baryshnikov was supposed to be coming to Denmark and I saw the eyes and the height…I was certain your first name was Mischa,' Kobborg recalled."

Sarasota Herald Tribune

Preview: Mark Morris's L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato, Washington

by Sarah Kaufman

"That he relied on dancing, and dancing alone, to tell this sprawling story of human existence that he had in his head since first hearing the music several years earlier is telling. There is no other choreographer today with Morris’s unbound imagination and the skill to realize it onstage."

Washington Post

Youth America Grand Prix brings prestige to ballet competition world

by Carrie Seidman

"The winners - and even many of those who don’t receive medals - dance away with a lot more than just a cheap souvenir: YAGP awards more than $250,000 in scholarships annually to top schools both in and outside the United States."

Sarasota Herald Tribune

This week's new dance (UK)

by Judith Mackrell

"Ivan Putrov: Men In Motion; The Royal Ballet: Draft Works."

The Guardian

Some performers seek different career path after last dance

by Mark Kanny

"I'm starting over from scratch. I really would like to be a history professor," she says. "Medieval history has been an incredible passion my entire life. Stopping dancing was huge. It has been a huge part of my identity. All my friends were dancers. I knew it would take another passion to help me through the transition."

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Seattle dancer Ezra Dickinson: What can't he do?

by Michael Upchurch

"There's a creaturely intensity to Dickinson's performing style. There can also be plenty of humor. In a solo number Dickinson does with the Castaways, he goes into a handstand that he holds without a quiver until he gets applause ..."

Seattle Times

Don't forget - Balanchine's birthday tomorrow

by Roslyn Sulcas

"It’s the 108th anniversary of GEORGE BALANCHINE’s birth on Sunday, and New York City Ballet hasn’t missed the opportunity to celebrate with a day called, yes, Sunday at the Ballet With George."

New York Times

Scottish Ballet's Eve Mutso

Eve's lengthy legs are a must for regal ballet role

Uncredited

"Mutso laughed: 'I am five feet seven, I am on pointes and I am long-limbed. Sometimes my legs live their own life - and I have to try to keep control of them.'"

Inverness Courier

Director Frederick Wiseman on Burlesque Doc Crazy Horse

by Steve Erickson

"I don’t understand all the fuss about showing naked people. All men and women know what naked men and women look like. We know what ourselves look like in the shower. If you’re in a relationship, you’ve seen your partner naked. You’ve probably seen your sisters and brothers naked."

Studio Daily

Resolution! 2012

REVIEW: Giorgio de Carolis and Elena Zaino

Resolution! 2012: Bunga Bunga

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: De Carolis, Zaino

by Keith Watson

"Forced to improvise and open up, suddenly their dance came alive."

REVIEW: Giorgio de Carolis and Elena Zaino

Resolution! 2012: Bunga Bunga

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: De Carolis, Zaino

by Jeffrey Gordon Baker

"...both were clearly capable movers, but a technical glitch completely stalled the pair, despite several audience members gamely entreating them to ‘just keep dancing!’ Advice they sadly didn’t heed."

REVIEW: Non Applicable Dance Collective

Resolution! 2012: Bi-Winning

UK, London, The Place

by Keith Watson

"...started brightly ...But as this satirical take on how we try make ourselves into what we want to be gathered physical speed, it ran out of ideas."

REVIEW: Non Applicable Dance Collective

Resolution! 2012: Bi-Winning

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Mcguines, Myers, Quick, Ryan

by Jeffrey Gordon Baker

"What the piece lacked in cohesion and thematic consistency ...it made up for in smiles, brought on by the fun that was clearly being had by these four sweetly geeky women."

REVIEW: Matthew Huy

Resolution! 2012: After Happily Ever After

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Huy, Walker

by Keith Watson

"From the disparate music choices to dance that shifted gear without an emotional core, this was pretty dancing but little more."

REVIEW: Matthew Huy

Resolution! 2012: After Happily Ever After

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Huy, Walker

by Jeffrey Gordon Baker

"...Mr Huy and partner Emma Louise Walker were pleasantly exhilarated by their own rushing leaps and Time-of-My-Life lifts even if the choreography felt a bit trite and dated, at times awkwardly executed."

REVIEW: Black Gecko Dance

Resolution! 2012: We Have Won

UK, London, The Place

by Lyndsey Winship

"...it needs a bit more punch. More like a playground scrap than an all-out battle."

REVIEW: Black Gecko Dance

Resolution! 2012: We Have Won

UK, London, The Place

by Rachel Donnelly

"This was a deft and solid piece, with some strong choreography from Georgie Hay and Grace Sellwood, although the central concept lacked complexity."

REVIEW: Saad

Resolution! 2012: Think_outside

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Wild

by Lyndsey Winship

"It's not a bad piece, but neither does it quite soar."

REVIEW: Saad

Resolution! 2012: Think_outside

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Wild

by Rachel Donnelly

"Something about unthinking acquiescence versus independent thought? Perplexing, but nonetheless affecting."

REVIEW: Jindeok Park with thisnowthis

Resolution! 2012: A Downpour

UK, London, The Place

by Lyndsey Winship

"But when the text finally coalesces into something narrative, and we realise we've been listening to mixed up fragments of a sane story all along, we have to ask: did we miss the method in the movement too? An answer isn't readily forthcoming."

REVIEW: Jindeok Park with thisnowthis

Resolution! 2012: A Downpour

UK, London, The Place

by Rachel Donnelly

"However, despite a strong ending, the connection between the words and the choreography is not always apparent and the overall effect was one of distraction."

REVIEW: Neshima Dance Company

Resolution! 2012: Beyond Words

UK, London, The Place

by Graham Watts

"Neshima is an unpretentious and engaging ensemble, directed with an eye for interesting structure and diversity by Batel Magen."

REVIEW: Neshima Dance Company

Resolution! 2012: Beyond Words

UK, London, The Place

by Natalia Okeke

"With a refreshing irony, Beyond Words clearly communicates the complexities of the inability to speak."

REVIEW: Lindy Nsingo

Resolution! 2012: Self

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Nsingo

by Graham Watts

"...Nsingo’s authoritative performance commanded attention although - at 25 minutes - the work was at least a section too long."

REVIEW: Lindy Nsingo

Resolution! 2012: Self

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Nsingo

by Natalia Okeke

"Part one-woman comedy show, part spoken-autobiography, Lindy Nsingo’s Self makes an impression through its sheer honesty."

REVIEW: Tourlander

Resolution! 2012: Don't Say It Was A Dream

UK, London, The Place

by Graham Watts

"Her six dancers attacked the movement with a seductive, infectious sharpness and joy."

REVIEW: Tourlander

Resolution! 2012: Don't Say It Was A Dream

UK, London, The Place

by Natalia Okeke

"In these closing moments a ukulele version of Somewhere over the Rainbow plays and, although quaint, hinders the strength of the rest of the piece."

REVIEW: Joss Arnott Dance

Resolution! 2012: 24

UK, London, The Place

by Sanjoy Roy

"The piece went down a storm, but I found it all effect and no substance. It also gave me a sense of deja vu..."

REVIEW: Joss Arnott Dance

Resolution! 2012: 24

UK, London, The Place

by Germaine Cheng

"...one cannot help but think of Arnott as the dance equivalent of Wayne McGregor and Hofesh Shechter’s lovechild."

REVIEW: Jemma Bicknell

Resolution! 2012: Please Not Mine

UK, London, The Place

by Sanjoy Roy

"Wet blankets of morose indie music contribute to the sense of a creative spark that hasn’t caught hold."

REVIEW: Jemma Bicknell

Resolution! 2012: Please Not Mine

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Armstrong

by Germaine Cheng

"Please Not Mine is the heartfelt cry of a woman witnessing the utter bedlam in the capital city, valiantly maintaining a shred of hope amidst her intensifying fear."

REVIEW: Thom Rackett Company

Resolution! 2012: You Just Live

UK, London, The Place

by Sanjoy Roy

"With apple-eating, newspaper-stuffing and blasts of operatic arias, it’s pretty discombobulating, but you feel that you have just lived a little."

REVIEW: Thom Rackett Company

Resolution! 2012: You Just Live

UK, London, The Place

by Germaine Cheng

"A young man is caught in a world where the herd mentality once again prevails."

REVIEW: Jacob Hobbs

Resolution! 2012: Project 51

UK, London, The Place

by Donald Hutera

"...consistently amusing..."

REVIEW: Jacob Hobbs

Resolution! 2012: Project 51

UK, London, The Place

by Rachel Donnelly

"Ultimately, though, it failed to engage me, with predictable choreography and a flat narrative."

REVIEW: Jessie Brett

Resolution! 2012: Woolgatherer

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Brett

by Donald Hutera

"Nevertheless this deft little character vignette showed that Brett has presence, facility and flair."

REVIEW: Jessie Brett

Resolution! 2012: Woolgatherer

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Brett

by Rachel Donnelly

"...Woolgatherer surprises and compels, with an intriguing and potentially rich premise, but loses momentum at moments."

REVIEW: Kip Johnson

Resolution! 2012: Birthday

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Johnson

by Donald Hutera

"Bleak? You bet. Dramatically naïve? Maybe. But, however bluntly or inarticulately expressed, there was definitely something going on here."

REVIEW: Kip Johnson

Resolution! 2012: Birthday

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Johnson

by Rachel Donnelly

"The end sequence, in which Kip worms his way, spotlit, across the floor, was the most affecting part of the performance, concluding the top contribution of the night."

REVIEW: Tiffany Gibson and Virginia Munday

Resolution! 2012: Maybe We Should

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Gibson, Munday

by Keith Watson

"A sharper sense of story - and a splash of music - would have helped, but Maybe We Should had a low-key charm."

REVIEW: Tiffany Gibson and Virginia Munday

Resolution! 2012: Maybe We Should

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Gibson, Munday

by Jeffrey Gordon Baker

"There was sweetness in the friends' cuddles and quarrels, but choreography-wise the piece was a collection of non-committal pedestrian gestures..."

REVIEW: Dirty Feet Dance Company

Resolution! 2012: Out of Nowhere

UK, London, The Place

by Keith Watson

"...a raw edge, unsettling emotions given a visceral edge - this is a company to look out for."

REVIEW: Dirty Feet Dance Company

Resolution! 2012: Out of Nowhere

UK, London, The Place

by Jeffrey Gordon Baker

"...despite the anti-story eventually getting boring and the adolescent posturing notwithstanding, this was the most wholly realised work of the night."

REVIEW: Needlefoot Dance Theatre Company

Resolution! 2012: She Knocked Three Times

UK, London, The Place

Dancers: Corday

by Keith Watson

"It's quite hard to make a work about the Marquis de Sade that’s stripped of all eroticism, but Needlefoot Dance Theatre pulled it off..."

REVIEW: Needlefoot Dance Theatre Company

Resolution! 2012: She Knocked Three Times

UK, London, The Place

by Jeffrey Gordon Baker

"...here student types awkwardly executed cliched, limon-esque dance class exercises in grey asylum-chic tunics."

Exeunt omnes

Edited by Bruce

In memoriam TodaysLinks

So. Farewell

Then

Balletco

TodaysLinks.

No more aubades

Trawling

The Patriot Ledger,

Bradenton Herald,

Gay City News -

The wide

Wild world

Of titbits

And witty crits.

No more of

Clement's crisps

Before breakfast.

Nor need

I ride again

On

Brooklyn Rail.

Fare thee well @people.

Flitter away

Twitter,

All skimpy 140 characters

Of you.

Such sweet sorrow but

No crocodile tears.

You're on your own

Now.

From stir crazy

To demob happy

That's me.

I will

Sleep in

Each morning.

With apologies to the proprietors of Private Eye and E.J. Thribb, aged 17½

Nice one John - always loved Thribb!

Just a reminder that the reviews collected over all these years end up in a database you can search here:

http://www.ballet.co.uk/cgi/reviews_database_search/db_search.cgi

And in going into archive Balletco will maintain the ability to search all the reviews collected.

One of our earliest off-site links (November 1996) is to a Nicholas Dromgoole (Sunday Telegraph) Royal Ballet 'Prince of the Pagodas' review. Sadly the link no longer works but armed with the details I could do a search and have found it again:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4706169/Salamanders-monkeys-and-a-rose-of-tempered-steel.html

Nice comparison of Yoshida and Bussell... Eric Pickford, Fiona Chadwick - the memories come flooding back! Overall conclusion:

"A second look at The Prince of the Pagodas only confirmed my admiration for this masterwork."

end of an era - thanks to all who brought us the links, I know I'm not the only one who appreciates all the hard work that went into them

You're most certainly not the only one, Dave. It must be a very rare ballet.co reader who hasn't made good use of these links. Those who have been compiling them over the years have had a complex and time-consuming task. I can vouch for this as Ann Williams once spent a day training me to do them. I was able to experience for myself the dedication required. Unfortunately family circumstances meant that I wasn't able to make use of my training but I'd been made aware of the incredibly hard work and dedication involved. Many, many thanks to all those who've given up their time to provide us with these links.

Edited by Bluebird

end of an era - thanks to all who brought us the links, I know I'm not the only one who appreciates all the hard work that went into them

Definitely not. And to everyone who's contributed to them over the years, many thanks for all the hard work you put in - such dedication, year after year.

I suppose I shall have to start weekly trips to the library to catch up, at least on the "broadsheets", now, but I shall miss all the other quirky links.

I'd also like to thank all the compilers of Today's Links. They've provided links to many fascinating articles which I would never have discovered, & saved me much time in searching for those which I would have found.

Carol

To ease any withdrawal symptoms:

Ballet takes its cue from earth, myth and sky

by Matthew Westwood

A short feature as dancers from Australian Ballet and Bangarra Dance Theatre begin work on their third collaboration - with an interesting view of Sydney Opera House!

The Australian

And arguably some better pictures at:

Adelaide Now and Telegraph

Troupe to travel Vertical Road without leader

by Victor Swoboda

Preview: Akram Khan's company go to Montreal this week without him - he has snapped an Achilles tendon.

Montreal Gazette

Molly Glentzer looks at Houston Ballet's very interesting looking 2012-13 Programme

Houston Chronicle

Oakland Ballet to delay spring program

by Mary Ellen Hunt

A deficit reduction decision after a disappointing "Nutcracker" season.

SF Chronicle

Luke Jennings (Observer) reviews:

Hiroaki Umeda: Haptic and Holistic Strata

Observer

Rudi van Dantzig obituary

Choreographer of socially aware ballets who became a novelist

by Judith Cruickshank

Guardian

NYCB Review: Who Cares?

by Apollinaire Scherr

"Balanchine’s take on the Gershwin songbook is expertly interpreted by New York City Ballet – but it lacks a crucial emotional depth"

Financial Times

NYCB Review: "All Robbins" program

by Brian Seibert

Includes a button (at end of title picture caption) to a 9-photo Slideshow.

NY Times

And possibly as a result of our departure from the formal Links scene????

Alltopics.com Offers Hottest News on Ballet

Yahoo! News

And possibly as a result of our departure from the formal Links scene????

Alltopics.com Offers Hottest News on Ballet

Yahoo! News

Pah! No competition. No sense of priorities. No filtering. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, did I really need to know, for example, that "Pregnant Jennifer Garner Takes Violet to Ballet and Karate" (I can see this girl taking after her mother, 20 years down the road)? Boy, if Ballet.co's links people had to filter out that sort of dross on a daily basis, they go up even further in my estimation.

Edit because I forgot what I originally came to say, which was, Ian, you're spoiling us. But thank you. It's making the withdrawal symptoms a little easier to manage :)

Edited by alison
  • Like 1

Review: Mariinsky Ballet in Washington DC

Chopiniana, Firebird, Scheherazade

by Alastair Macaulay

"With the Mariinsky, both “Firebird” and “Schéhérazade” are now mere kitsch: insincere romps to effective music, with appealing costumes. Only in the light “Chopiniana,” a dream of sylphs and a Romantic poet in a wood at night, does Fokine’s original company give his dance theater any substance."

NY Times

Preview: Ivan Putrov's "Men in Motion" at Sadler's Wells

The venerated ballerina had better watch her step – a new programme at Sadler's Wells shows that men could be about to steal the limelight for good

by Jessica Duchen

Independent

Coming to a theatre near you?

Review: Moscow City Ballet's "Swan Lake"

by Jeffery Taylor

"The performance was red-blooded and desperately sincere and if a bit rough round the edges, all the better for it. This tragic tale with a feelgood heart tours the UK until March and is not to be missed."

Express

Reviews: Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company - "Story/Time"

by Claudia La Rocco

NY Times

and Robert Johnson

Star-Ledger

Reviews: Keely Garfield - "Twin Pines"

by Deborah Jowitt

"Watching a piece by Garfield can be like entering someone’s disheveled home at a bad time and wondering, “What’s been going on here?” Or like entering Garfield’s brilliantly unkempt head."

Arts Journal

and Gia Kourlas

"Yoga and Zen practices have become an increasing presence in the work of Ms. Garfield, a British choreographer who has long made New York her home."

NY Times

Review: Company C Contemporary Ballet

Vespers, Akimbo, Footage, A World to Come

by Mary Ellen Hunt

"…a peppy, agreeable program showcasing works by a few of the latter-day choreographers with whom the troupe has cultivated relationships over a decade of performing."

SF Chronicle

And then there's:

How to apply ballet to everyday life

by Leah Garchik

SF Chronicle

And as you can't ever have too much of Thomas Tallis' "Spem In Alium"

Ottawa Citizen

Alison: Further to your #15, you're absolutely right on the lack of filtering and, as a matter of course, we did not use the major search engines for the most part given the sheer volume of material generated by using "ballet" or "dance" as a keyword - you've picked on a typical example. The bulk of a daily search used a substantial library of newspaper/magazine titles covering most of the English-speaking world that had been accumulated by Bruce and the others over the years. That said, a quick look at Google at the end of a morning's search could reveal items that had been put up in the intervening hours, and it is not uncommon for Google to list articles many hours before they appear where they 'should' on a newspaper's Arts/Dance page. Why that should be so, I really don't know - there must be nooks and crannies in cyberspace known only to the Google bots.

The rest of the world has not stopped completely on account of young Mr Polunin:

Feature: BRB's Robert Parker and "Beauty and the Beast"

Ballet star dances in The Duvet

by Natalie Anglesey

"“Initially, the great head of The Beast had restricted vision and the costume was really heavy. This newer outfit means I can see fairly well but, because you can’t see my face, I have learned to act with my whole body.""

City Life

Review: BRB's "Beauty and the Beast"

by Glenn Meads

"The Birmingham Royal Ballet turn their attention to the classic Beauty and the Beast and it fits them like a glove as it's a magical tale, full of all of the ingredients that make a fine ballet."

WhatsOnStage

Flickers of Dance: Lincoln Center’s annual Dance on Camera Festival is a must-see

by Susan Reiter

"With 14 programs packed into its five days, the festival includes films exploring a wide variety of dance styles, artists and institutions."

CityArts

Review: Monica Bill Barnes & Company

Suddenly Summer Somewhere, Mostly Fanfare, Everything is getting better all the time

by Marcia B. Siegel

"In these three dances Barnes isn't just clowning around. Starting with subtle, nearly inert shadow-gestures, she assembles material from vaudeville, TV gags, cheerleading, rickety hand-me-down stunts — an encyclopedia of useable gambits."

Boston Phoenix

Preview: San Francisco Ballet and Cranko's "Onegin"

by Andrew Gilbert

"The ballet has been on Helgi Tomasson's wish list for years, and when the opportunity to add it to the repertoire arose, he didn't hesitate."

MercuryNews

(There's also a Smuin Ballet preview in there.)

Ottawa Preview: A gothic tale from the Royal Winnipeg Ballet

The classic story of Svengali is transformed to the world of dance

by Natasha Gauthier

"Instead of being a “dirty old Jew” like in the xenophobic book, Svengali is a young dancer desperate to escape his overbearing mother’s strict ballet school."

Ottawa Citizen

And on Burns' Night, via the New Yorker's Culture Desk:

Wordnik

Ignoring all the coverage of Sergei Polunin carried by overseas papers and, indeed, whatever has appeared here on that today:

Review: NYCB -"The Concert"

by Apollinaire Scherr

"The dancers’ timing was impeccable and their comic touch light enough that you felt as if you were being tickled for half an hour straight."

Financial Times

Sylvie Guillem to Make Rare New York Appearance

Sylvie Guillem will bring her production “6000 miles away” to the David H. Koch Theater this spring, in a rare New York appearance.

by Daniel J. Wakin

NY Times, Arts Beat

Review: San Francisco Ballet's Opening Gala

by Paul Parish

"It was a nuanced mixed bill….This gala gave an unusually thoughtful portrait of SFB and the community it serves, and what our values are."

Bay Area Reporter

Preview:'Onegin' comes to San Francisco Ballet

by Mary Ellen Hunt

"It's so dramatic and different and will be a great challenge to the dancers, particularly those who do the leading roles."

SF Chronicle

Review: San Francisco Ballet’s 2012 Gala Performance

by K.W.Jeter

"Where the total forces of San Francisco Ballet, dancers and musicians alike, came together with devastating effect on the gala audience was in the penultimate performance, the pas de deux from choreographer John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias masterpiece."

California Literary Review

Joffrey Ballet documentary honors the revolution that was choreographed

by Sarah Kaufman

" In the company’s early years, the Joffrey built a following among audiences new to ballet by ending performances with, in the words of one performer, a work of “zestful crap.”"

Washington Post

Feature: Highlighting diversity of black dancers is the goal of Toronto event

by Paula Citron

"As members of the International Association of Blacks in Dance would tell you, “blacks in dance” and “black dance” are two very different concepts."

Globe and Mail

Review: Royal Winnipeg Ballet - "Svengali"

RWB’s story ballet lacks death, love, drama and other essentials of a good story

by Natasha Gauthier

"There is no tension, passion or catharsis. Everything is sketched out thinly and vaguely, supplemented by hackneyed symbolism, patronizingly explained in the program, as if we were junior-high students."

Ottawa Citizen

2 Reviews: David Dorfman Dance - "Prophets of Funk"

Let this funky bunch take you even higher

by Leigh Witchel

"There’s a mix of dancing styles, as well: loose modern dance, courageous jumps and plenty of funky disco."

NY Post

Sly Stone's funk revived in sound and sight

by Gus Solomons Jr

"Choreographically, there’s a little too much of full frontal unison movement, with the eight lined up across the stage doing unadulterated disco dancing."

Gay City News

• 5 weeks later...