The Royal Ballet: Giselle, Feb-April 2016

When you add to that the fact that I've seen 2 complaints in the last 24 hours about how difficult it is to get photos out of the ROH to illustrate reviews, previews and so on ...

Getting back to the Wilis, I always thought that they were girls who had been jilted ("got into trouble"?) and had committed suicide as a result, so would have been buried outside the churchyard?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The goddess of the dance smiled on the Roh last night and it was a ladies night I felt. Such a cast - Osipova, Nunez, Kaneko, Calvert, the Wilis. No man could match them.

I was thrilled to see Osipova again and Nunez as Myrtha (first time that I have seen her in this role). Thank you mr O' Hare for this luxurious casting. Nunez was icy, imperious and heartless, surely she could freeze the blood in the veins of any living being. Osipova so moving and I can never forget her first appearance as a Wili. I just missed that tenderness of the pas de deux that I recall with Acosta.

So glad that I persisted in exchanging tickets and not giving up hope - would have been so disappointed to have missed this performance. Even up to the opening I wasn't sure if Osipova would dance and neither were many others I think. Third time lucky!

• Like 10

The goddess of the dance smiled on the Roh last night and it was a ladies night I felt. Such a cast - Osipova, Nunez, Kaneko, Calvert, the Wilis. No man could match them.

I was thrilled to see Osipova again and Nunez as Myrtha (first time that I have seen her in this role). Thank you mr O' Hare for this luxurious casting. Nunez was icy, imperious and heartless, surely she could freeze the blood in the veins of any living being. Osipova so moving and I can never forget her first appearance as a Wili. I just missed that tenderness of the pas de deux that I recall with Acosta.

So glad that I persisted in exchanging tickets and not giving up hope - would have been so disappointed to have missed this performance. Even up to the opening I wasn't sure if Osipova would dance and neither were many others I think. Third time lucky!

I think half the audience were like that!  I kept checking the website all day and then when I went to get a cast list I said 'Is she...?' and the lady said, yes, and I thought oh my god.  It was wonderful wasn't it and how appreciative the audience were.

• Like 3

I think half the audience were like that!  I kept checking the website all day and then when I went to get a cast list I said 'Is she...?' and the lady said, yes, and I thought oh my god.  It was wonderful wasn't it and how appreciative the audience were.

Yes I had done that too - was on tenterhooks all day. Osipova definitely gives me goosebumps though. She is a dancer who owns the stage, in my opinion. I have followed her since I saw her dance the bridesmaid variation in the Bolshoi's Don Q in 2008 I think. Alexandrova was Kitri and that was a battle of the ballerinas!

• Like 1

Reading the glowing reviews of Vadim Muntagirov and Marianela Nuñez in the Royal Ballet's 'Giselle' has got me so excited, can't wait to see them live on the 6th April, going to be magical (is that even the right word for a spooky ballet?). 

It's funny you book something months ahead and suddenly it is upon you, where is this year going?

• Like 3

I was slightly surprised by some of the premature (by normal British standards) applause and shouting of 'Brava'. I didn't mind it, though. Or is that normal these days?

Not really, but with Osipova and Nunez giving equally compelling and bravura performances last night it was hard to contain our appreciation and delight! It was well worth the wait to see both of these wonderful artists dance these roles again.

Wonderful to see Osipova's Giselle - I had been repeatedly checking Twitter too in case of cast changes. Nunez was superb as Myrtha & I hope she'll dance this role again as next time I'll take binoculars to appreciate all the subtleties from the amphi.

Golding's Albrecht came across to me as a man amusing himself with a bit of dalliance while waiting for the village tavern to open. Which I thought worked well with Osipova's interpretation. Sadly though, I just didn't feel any depth of emotion from Golding as the performance progressed into Act II & sensed a lack of chemistry with his partner. Agree with others that he seemed more focussed on the steps.

The Wilis were sensational again. I'm really enjoying this run of Giselle.

• Like 2

I can't imagine, given Osipova's recent withdrawal from a performance elsewhere, that they've had a lot of time to rehearse together recently - that can't have helped.

By the way, I was meaning to ask: did she do the overhead lifts in Act II that way (back to the audience, with one leg bent up, rather than the usual "swallow"-type lift) last time around, or was it perhaps a concession to the injury?

By the way, I was meaning to ask: did she do the overhead lifts in Act II that way (back to the audience, with one leg bent up, rather than the usual "swallow"-type lift) last time around, or was it perhaps a concession to the injury?

Yes, I noticed that and assumed the same. He wasn't resting her weight on his hands through her hips, more lower waist and one leg

I think Marianela Nunez gave the most exciting performance I've ever seen as Myrthe on Tuesday, followed by an equally brilliant Natalia Osipova, Matthew Golding had a hard time keeping up with them but I thought he put as much into Albrecht in the second act as I have seen from him, I'm sure he will remember this one, nice he got to dance one Giselle with Osipova!

Bennet has been very impressive as Hilarion in the performances I've seen.

I saw the picture he posted on Twitter too & did wonder whether Bennet's Hilarion had missed a trick by not unbuttoning his shirt - perhaps Giselle might have started to take more notice of poor Hilarion then!  ;)   Though I suspect that gruff Hilarion would never have stood a chance against Albrecht as portrayed by Federico or Vadim.

As I haven't seen any performances from this run yet I can't remember what Hilarion wears, but I wonder if it is similar to the old Russian costume.  I've just been watching the clip of Ulanova in Giselle in the Reviews and Features for Tuesday (7 Greats on the Bolshoi Stage), and he wears a very fetching pair of rust shorts, with matching thigh high boots.  How could a girl resist that!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

As I haven't seen any performances from this run yet I can't remember what Hilarion wears, but I wonder if it is similar to the old Russian costume. I've just been watching the clip of Ulanova in Giselle in the Reviews and Features for Tuesday (7 Greats on the Bolshoi Stage), and he wears a very fetching pair of rust shorts, with matching thigh high boots. How could a girl resist that!

:) Hilarion also wears those thigh high boots (no shorts though) in the Giselle with Bessmertnova/Lavrovsky (just noticed the full version is actually on YouTube). Always made me laugh because they're really loose around the thighs...

[edited to make the smiley work ha]

Edited by sylph
  • Like 1

Just seen another terrific Giselle with Nunez and Muntagirov. They really are magical together. I really hope there's a DVD in the offing. I also think Naghdi needs to be cast as Giselle. Another wonderfully expressive dancer.

• Like 4

Agreed, Simon - what a performance from, especially, Vadim and Marianella, but also from all the cast.

Following the fantastic accounts and reviews from their previous performances, I was full of anticipation for tonight's, and I wasn't disappointed. I don't think I have ever seen Vadim dance better (those entrechats!), but then Albrecht is a role that shows off both his formidable technical skills and his acting skills to perfection. As someone on Twitter put it; "I could watch Vadim being danced to death all night" :)

Marianella was just exquisite, and between them they made the ballet so incredibly moving - impossible not to feel a tear at the end. A wonderful partnership in the making; let's hope the Royal Ballet nurture this one.....

I can't wait to see it again at the cinema on Wednesday. Taking my mother-in-law - she is a recent convert to Vadim, having seen him in The Two Pigeons, and now adores him!

• Like 6

As I haven't seen any performances from this run yet I can't remember what Hilarion wears, but I wonder if it is similar to the old Russian costume.  I've just been watching the clip of Ulanova in Giselle in the Reviews and Features for Tuesday (7 Greats on the Bolshoi Stage), and he wears a very fetching pair of rust shorts, with matching thigh high boots.  How could a girl resist that!

You may be onto something there! At the ROH last night Hilarion's boots were only knee high & no shorts, just tights. It looked like a kind of animal-skin top, with a white linen-style shirt underneath. (Hope I've got that right).

Vadim & Marianela's performance last night was just sublime. Fully agree with Simon & Balletfanp. 

As someone on Twitter put it; "I could watch Vadim being danced to death all night" :)

Me too. I don't know how it is, as Vadim's dancing has always had the ability to move me tremendously. But as Albrecht, he's out of this world. When in combination with Marianela in Giselle, my soul just soars. 

A fabulous evening & all the cast contributed to it's success. I especially enjoyed the pas de six & the part where Yasmine & Francesca dance together was just wonderful again, as were all the Wilis.

As I walked back across Waterloo bridge, Big Ben was chiming 10 o'clock & in the dank gloom, I half-expected the Wilis to start rising from the murky depths of the Thames...   

• Like 10

Albrecht was Vadim's first principal role at ENB, which he danced within a few months of joining the company. I believe that he danced it opposite Daria as Giselle abroad several times as well early in his career.

• Like 4

I'd love to have seen that, Aileen & Alison!  Southampton isn't that far away from me, either.

I'd also love to have seen Vadim & Daria dance together in any ballet, but I was still in the early stages of getting into ballet when she retired & I had no idea what I'd been missing until it was too late  :(

• Like 1

Just seen the ROH website and, if I am reading it correctly, it seems there are no plans to release the Nela/Vadim performance to DVD.  Maybe we could apply some people pressure???

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 2

I think that it's highly unlikely that the ROH will cave in to 'pressure' and issue a DVD of the Marianela/Vadim cast. It's just too soon after the Natalia/Carlos one was released and no doubt a very large number of copies of the latter was made.

• Like 1

Yes, a Thursday matinee in Southampton, with Daria Klimentova.  Little did any of us know then quite how historic it was going to be.

I rather think that we did, Alison. After all, some of us had had the good fortune to see Vadim in class and performance while he was at the Royal Ballet School and, even then, there was something very special about him. It is lovely that more and more people are now "getting to know him" and appreciate his artistry.

• Like 1

I didn't see Vadim dance Giselle as I only stated watching ballet regularly in 2011. The first time that I saw Vadim was when he danced with Daria in Swan Lake in 2011, shortly after the Agony and Ecstasy programme was shown on TV. I didn't know that they were going to be performing and it was a pleasant surprise when webarrived at the theatre and discovered that they were dancing.

You mean you predicted the success of his partnership with Daria, capybara? :)

I am not making any personal claims here but there was certainly a buzz around him the moment he joined ENB and then around them as a partnership at a very early juncture. The predictions initially were related to Vadim's huge potential, if i recall correctly - and it is great to see him developing his artistry year on year.

• Like 1

Delighted by this evening's performance! I had been very disappointed that Laura Morera was injured, and to be honest I had no great expectations of Akane Takada. And at first I did find her a little too bland, but her dancing was wonderful - light and fast and amazing jumps. But then came her mad scene, and it was really affecting - such bewilderment and anguish. And in Act II she really danced so beautifully and graciously that I was completely won over. Similarly Nehemiah Kish, who I thought was an interesting and unusual Albrecht. Very reserved and quite haughty in Act I - just wanted to have a bit of fun with Giselle but didn't realise what he was getting into. And then in Act II, shame and sorrow all the more moving for being expressed by someone normally so reticent. Excellent dancing and acting that was touching without being histrionic. Seeing him sprawled in agony at Giselle's grave at the end, all dignity lost but his humanity saved, was incredibly emotional.

I also really liked Hikaru Kobayashi's Myrthe. Implacable yes, but also shrouded by such intense sadness. Another quiet but highly effective performance, and superbly danced.

An interesting bit of last-minute casting: because of illness, Sian Murphy performed both Bathilde and Zulme. I don't think I've ever seen that doubling up before, and it gave a fascinating resonance to Act II. I can't say I've ever felt much sympathy for Bathilde in the past; but in fact on reflection, she was very betrayed too. Even if it wasn't a love match (which we don't really know), she was humiliated and deceived too. So there she was (sort of!) in Act II, a jilted Wili refusing to spare Albrecht...

And absolutely brilliant dancing by the corps. Total belief, commitment, unity, purpose. All made for an unexpectedly powerful performance.

• Like 10