Jenny Gilbert,
The Independent

Review - The Royal Ballet, The Prince of the Pagodas:

Jenny Gilbert,
The Independent

Luke Jennings,
The Observer

Preview - Australian Ballet in New York: Diane Nottle, New York Times

Review - School of American Ballet workshop performances: Jocelyn Noveck, Huffington Post

Preview - On the Boards' NW New Works dance festival, Seattle: Alice Kaderlan, Crosscut

Daria Klimentova, English National Ballet: Steve Meacham, Sydney Morning Herald

Queer New York International Arts Festival, 3 choreographers talk: Gia Kourlas, TimeOut New York

Interview - Charles Jude, AD of Ballet de l’Opera National de Bordeaux: Edmund Lee, TimeOut Hong Kong

Film - First Position: Valerie Lawson, DanceLines

Jessica Ward, Elmhurst School for Dance principal: Kat Keogh, Birmingham Post

2012 Gené Competition to be held in Wellington, NZ: Paul Easton, The Dominion Post

Dancing House, Fred and Ginger as you’ve never seen them before: Charles S. Dameron, Wall Street Journal

At the risk of re-igniting the Tamara Rojo/ENB thread in News, today's Sunday Times 'Culture' magazine has a weighty feature around an interview with her and on her likely approach to the new appointment - with two rather good photos, one on the cover.

• Like 1

Also, I think this is maybe the first time it's been publicly stated that Rojo was taken out of Onegin because she was thought to be 'too fat'.

Yes, pity she didn't name the person who said so (think I have sussed out who he was), also there was a picture of Margot Fonteyn's family home in Ealing which is for sale, and a not so good review for Prince of the Pagodas!

Indeed it was. As those of us who were fortunate enough to see her in rehearsal the day before noted, size has nothing to do with ability to portray that role.

David Bintley on having to rename his new work: http://www.sundaymer...66331-31151974/

Ridiculous. I accept the O2 having to be rechristened the North Greenwich Arena for the duration, and even some of the pettier things like nobody being allowed to use the words "Olympics/Paralympics/2012" unless they're a sponsor, or whatever it is, but this is ludicrous. The Olympic motto is technically actually the Latin "Citius, Altius, Fortius" - and is trademarked, which is fair enough, but the English version isn't. Do they forbid its use when translated into any other language in the world, I wonder, or is it just English?

Indeed it was. As those of us who were fortunate enough to see her in rehearsal the day before noted, size has nothing to do with ability to portray that role.

The Olympic motto is technically actually the Latin "Citius, Altius, Fortius" - and is trademarked, which is fair enough, but the English version isn't.

I suspect it is http://www.londonbusinessnetwork.com/2012-information/using-the-london-2012-brand

I don't know if they registered also other translations, for sure the Italian version "Più velocemente, più in alto, con più forza" is not very attractive... :D

I checked the international and European Community databases and couldn't find any trademarks for the English version, but your link gives an indirect link to the "Olympic Symbol etc (Protection) Act 1995" (slightly surprised at the date) which, for the UK at least, does protect any translation of the motto, so I guess it was that which did the damage. We live and learn ...

• Like 1

Janet, re. your post re. Fred and Ginge....funnily enough I was in Prague a week ago photographing that building!! We just came upon when we were walking around the city and I thought 'wow, amazing', and it is a real anomaly amidst all the lovely Art Nouveau buildings by which it's surrounded!

Links – Monday June 11, 2012

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, World Cities, Nur Du, London:

Ismene Brown,
The Arts Desk

4 stars, Sanjoy Roy,
The Guardian

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, World Cities, Viktor: 2 stars,Clement Crisp, Financial Times

Review - English National Ballet, mixed bill, Sydney:

Deborah Jones,
The Australian

Penny Spirou,
Australian Stage

Tamara Rojo belongs on stage, not in the boardroom: Rupert Christiansen, The Telegraph

London 2012 Olympics - Games chiefs order ballet name change: Andrew Hough, The Telegraph

Review - Andrea Miller, Sit, Kneel, Stand, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Robert Moses’ Kin, various works: Rita Felciano, DanceviewTimes

Review - 7 Australian dance companies, Let’s Dance, Melbourne: Eamonn Kelly, The Australian

Interview - Lucien Postlewaite, Pacific Northwest Ballet: Moira Macdonald, Seattle Times

Review - Oregon Ballet Theatre, Dance United gala: Martha Ullman West, The Oregonian

Oz of attraction (you work it out, I can’t!): Megan Lehmann, New York Post

Noting David Bintley's annoyance at the IOC forcing a ballet name change, I see that The Times is sponsoring a CEO Conference today under a "Faster, Higher, Stronger" banner. Presumably they know the right people?

And "Oz of attraction" is lost on me too.

Something to make your blood boil in the The Australian review: "IT was a bit surreal to be celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with English National Ballet -- yes, we stood and sang Advance Australia Fair and God Save the Queen -- what with the company having scarcely any English or even British people in it."

Links – Tuesday 12 June, 2012

Review - The Royal Ballet, The Prince of the Pagodas: 4 stars, Louise Levene, The Telegraph

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Viktor, Nur Du: Sarah Frater, The Stage

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Nur Du:

4 stars, Zoe Anderson,
The Independent

4 stars, Liz Hoggard,
Evening Standard

Review - English National Ballet, mixed programme, Sydney: Valerie Lawson, DanceLines

Review - On the Boards' NW New Works dance festival, Seattle: Michael Upchurch, Seattle Times

Review - Ramya Ramnarayan, classical Indian dance, NY: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Preview - Mikhailovsky Ballet, Swan Lake, Vancouver: Kevin Griffin, Vancouver Sun

Zdenek Konvalina and Béjart’s Song of the Wayfarer: Michael Crabb, Toronto Star

Brazilians twins dazzle with English (National) Ballet: Michelle Hanna, World News Australia

Bunheads - warm up for a new invasion of the swans this summer: Jonathan Bernstein, The Guardian

Bunheads, a non-review: Carrie Seidman, Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Something to make your blood boil in the The Australian review: "IT was a bit surreal to be celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with English National Ballet -- yes, we stood and sang Advance Australia Fair and God Save the Queen -- what with the company having scarcely any English or even British people in it."

I've always thought that English National Ballet was the biggest misnomer in the business, almost worthy of a prosecution under the trade descriptions act, with some 60% of its dancers not only not English but not British; and before someone says "well, what about the Royal Ballet" at least 60% of that company's dancers are British. The original name of London Festival Ballet may well have become less appropriate with the passage of time but I would have thought that a title like London International Ballet would have been a truer description of what this company really is.

• Like 2

would it be controversial to ask what's in a name as long as it summarises a company of excellence & is known for that quality (which is what i think mr eagling is proposing in his recent interview for Australian TV News - link above)

in Russia there is mariinsky, bolshoi, mikhailovsky - the difference being what? i don't know - their theatres perhaps

some of the finest etoiles in the paris opera are from toulouse or even ajaccio and most of them don't sing opera either

some of the finest etoiles in the paris opera are from toulouse or even ajaccio and most of them don't sing opera either

Your point being, I presume, that you might expect company members to be restricted to Parisians and be associated with opera? I think that's because "Paris Opera Ballet" is a little sloppy, albeit concise, as a rendition. I think the "Ballet of the Opéra de Paris" would probably be more accurate: this Wikipedia entry http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op%C3%A9ra_de_Paris indicates that the OdP is a public institution rather than a company, more like the Royal Opera House in the UK, I should think.

sorry to be sloppy alison - my point was comme d'habitude much better made by Wayne in his interview - that it is the quality of the company and their work that we look for & enjoy and the name and nationalities are not of particular relevance to that - seems to me that the title often usually indicates where the bearers predominantly dance - ENB have England (& Wales) and seem to try their best to reach most regions of it - my comments on Paris Opera whom as you know I love dearly and deeply were also meant to be tongue very much in cheek

Links – Wednesday 13 June, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream:

Marina Harss,
DanceTabs

Robert Gottlieb,
NY Observer

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Firebird, Apollo, Thirteen Diversions:

Alastair Macaulay,
New York Times

Mary Cargill,
DanceviewTimes

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Firebird: 5 stars, Apollinaire Scherr, Financial Times

Review - American Ballet Theatre, the season so far: Robert Gottlieb, New York Observer

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Viktor: Bruce Marriott, DanceTabs

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Nur Du:

Lynette Halewood,
DanceTabs

Misa Brzezicki,
LondonDance

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Viktor, Nur Du: Ricky Power Sayeed, TimeOut London

Review - David Gordon, Beginning of the End of the… : Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Review - Colin, Simon & I, Because We Care, London: Zoe Anderson, Independent

Preview - NY’s River to River Festival: Gia Kourlas, TimeOut NY

Review - Rock the Ballet, Auckland: Bridget Jones, Auckland Now

Review - Havana Rumba, London: Sarah Wilkinson, The Stage

New South African ballet company from merger: Adrienne Sichel, Independent Online (Zaire)

Preview - Australian Ballet, Swan Lake, NY: Christine Jevers, Huffington Post

Preview - Royal New Zealand Ballet, Cinderella, with added sparkle: Stuff.co.nz

And finally a review from someone who wasn’t there:

Review - World Stars of Ballet Stars, Manila: Rosalinda L. Orosa, Philippine Star

Wow, what a lot of links today - thank you John.

Tim, I wasn't getting at you - it just hadn't occurred to me until you brought the subject up that "Paris Opera Ballet" had various interpretations which didn't really reflect reality, that was all. Still, it seems to be the accepted English wording, so I guess we're stuck with it :)

Links – Thursday 14 June, 2012

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, …como el musguito en la piedra, ay si, si, si…:

Sarah Kent,
The Arts Desk

Graham Watts,
DanceTabs

Judith Mackrell,
The Guardian

Lise Smith,
LondonDance

Sarah Frater,
The Stage

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, …como el musguito en la piedra, ay si, si, si…, Nur Du: Sarah Crompton, The Telegraph

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Firebird, Apollo: Leigh Witchel, New York Post

Review - Australian Ballet, Luminous, Dyad 1929, Waramuk , NY:

Alastair Macaulay,
New York Times

Apollinaire Scherr,
Financial Times
n.b. I was unable to see this as it was behind their paywall. You may have better luck.

Review - Australian Ballet and others, Let’s Dance, Melbourne: Valerie Lawson, DanceLines

New York on its feet for Australian Ballet triple bill: Deborah Jones, The Australian

Review - National Ballet of Canada, Elite Syncopations, Song of a Wayfarer, Chroma: 4/4 stars, Michael Crabb, Toronto Star

Review - Ballet Arizona, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Episodes, Rubies, Phoenix: Helene Kaplan, DanceviewTimes

Review - David Wampach, Auto, Batterie: Claudia La Rocco, New York Times

Preview - Dance UK, Olympic collaboration by ENB, Scottish Ballet, National Dance Company of Wales: Kelly Apter, The Scotsman

City Ballet Names New Leaders (on the board): Daniel J. Wakin, New York Times

Helsinki International Ballet Competition (from a Canadian perspective): Michael Crabb, Toronto Star

Preview - Vail International Dance Festival 2012: Erica Prather, 303 Magazine

Sim - it didn't exist when I visited Prague (1987). I feel another trip planning session is required for this most beautiful of cities.

Yes Jan, it's definitely that time! This was our first visit and we loved it! Photos of how it looks now are on my FB page in the photo albums bit.

Links – Friday 15 June, 2012

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Firebird, Apollo, Thirteen Diversions:

Deborah Jowitt,
ArtsJournal

Tobi Tobias,
ArtsJournal

Review - Keigwin + Company, mixed bill, NY: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Interview - Wayne McGregor on BBC’s HardTalk: Katya Adler, BBC iPlayer

Review - Tino Seghal, This Variation, Documenta 13, Kassel: Adrian Searle, The Guardian

Preview - Nina Ananiashvili in Japan: Eriko Arita, Japan Times

and if you fancy a night out on the NY dance scene: A.C. Lee, New York Times

Today's Times has an interview with Wayne McGregor who is involved with Big Dance 2012, also some information about his work on Titian 2012 and a picture of Carlos Acosta who will be dancing in it with Edward Watson and Leanne Benjamin.

Links – Saturday 16 June, 2012

New York City Ballet, some thoughts: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Interview - Kevin McKenzie, AD of ABT: Robert Gottlieb, New York Times

Review - American Ballet Theatre, Romeo and Juliet: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Review - Australian Ballet, mixed bill, NY: Robert Johnson, Star-Ledger

Australian Ballet in New York: Alyssa Bereznak, Vanity Fair

Review - Mikhailovsky Ballet, Swan Lake, Vancouver: Kevin Griffin, Vancouver Sun

Review - National Ballet of Canada, Elite Syncopations, Song of a Wayfarer, Chroma, Toronto: Paula Citron, The Globe and Mail

Review - Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet, mixed bill, NY: Carol Pardo, DanceviewTimes

Review - Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, …como el musguito en la piedra, ay si, si, si…: Ricky Power Sayeed, TimeOut London

Review - Por Instantes, La Travesia, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

A ballerina on 'Question Time'? Why not? It would raise the level of debate: David Lister, The Independent