Xander Parish - Promotion

• 9 months later...

I won't be seeing his Albrecht with ENB but looking forward to seeing him when they Mariinsky are over next summer. Long may his success continue!

Has it been officially announced that the Mariinsky will be visiting the UK next summer, Scheherezade?  (If so I must have missed it.  How grand if it is true.  Do you have dates? Did they announce rep? Did they announce principal participants [e.g., Parish]... but that would be for a separate BcoF listing surely.)  

That said I would have thought that certain current uncertainties might well make such decisions - certainly as pertains to the UK - more delicate - as in so many other areas.  Certainly that is true in my own areas of endeavour.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Has it been officially announced that the Mariinsky will be visiting the UK next summer, Scheherezade?  (If so I must have missed it.  How grand if it is true.  Do you have dates? Did they announce rep? Did they announce principal participants [e.g., Parish]... but that would be for a separate BcoF listing surely.)  

I'm not sure if it's official, Bruce, but in the Gramilano interview, when the January ENB Giselle was mentioned, Xander Paish said that the 2016/17 season would culminate with the Mariinsky summer London season which he was already looking forward to, so here's hoping!

• Like 5

Kevin O'Hare did a 'talk with' earlier this year in Hull. Chatting with him afterwards (as you do!) he was talking about doing something for Hull2017 and mentioned wanting to bring some of the Royal Ballet to do 'something' with other dancers from the area. DS was ????????. So I guess we wait and see!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I don't think it did, capybara. I was tipped off in the interval by my pet usher, as if she thought that's what was going to happen. But when the full stage curtain calls ended and it still hadn't happened, I decided to go home to bed as it was late. It wasn't until an hour later that news of the promotion started filtering through to me on twitter.

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

Did the promotion 'happen' in front of the audience? I do hope so :)

Not in front of the audience. According to comments in social media it seems to have happened on stage in front of "family and friends" (which may have been one of the reasons for doing it in London rather than St P).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Johnpw said:

Not in front of the audience. According to comments in social media it seems to have happened on stage in front of "family and friends" (which may have been one of the reasons for doing it in London rather than St P).

That is SUCH a pity. Xander should have been able to take the acclaim of the audience.

• Like 1

Reading various articles, while Mr Fateyev was very astute in announcing the promotion in London, there is a delicious irony that an ex-RB spear carrier was promoted to principal dancer of the Mariinsky Ballet on the RB stage.

• Like 12

I read this in the paper and wondered if it happened onstage, shame it didn't but many congratulations to Xander Parish, what an achievement, nice gesture to wait until the ROH to do it so all Xander's family and friends could be there, little bit cheeky too :)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, rafaelsmum said:

My apologies for starting another thread.  I saw this one.  Also that is was dated 2016.  I thought it had not been posted yet. I did not realize the new posts were at the bottom. 

Don't worry Rafaelsmum - on the thread list it shows when the last post was made.  If you click on that "date/time" it takes you to the latest post at the end of the thread.

• Like 1

Congratulations, Xander !

At this year's Marinsky Festival his performance of Diamonds with Yekaterina Chebykina (the best I'd ever seen her) was one of the very best. At 2015's Festival his Marguerite and Armand with Ulyana Lopatkina was perhaps 'The' best.