ROH to introduce e-ticketing

1 hour ago, alison said:

2 pages to a side, print on both sides.

But that still prints all the unecessary  rubbish. Surely in this day and age they can set up two tickets, one side. Easier for the staff to check too. Unfortunately the forma doesn't lend itself to editing.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

And this from the Eco Conscious Organisation that prints cast lists you can’t read...

If you can’t read the new style cast sheets you should visit the optician/ophthalmologist. I have extreme myopia, astigmatism, keratoconus and a little bit of retinopathy, and I can read them perfectly well (with my glasses on).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rob S said:

My e-ticket ends up being four sides of A4.....and then when you get there they don't even zap the bardcode thing, they just look at the date

try printing 'current page' when highlighting the actual ticket - you'll only print the one then. Still a waste of paper though (but, hey, at least it's not THEIR paper!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

try printing 'current page' when highlighting the actual ticket - you'll only print the one then. Still a waste of paper though (but, hey, at least it's not THEIR paper!)

Two tickets two pages! Both would fit on one. Very messy and not at all how I believe they should be delivered.  Sadly it seems no-one has an end-user solution. 

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

If you can’t read the new style cast sheets you should visit the optician/ophthalmologist. I have extreme myopia, astigmatism, keratoconus and a little bit of retinopathy, and I can read them perfectly well (with my glasses on).

I don't think they're easy to read in parts of the auditorium (which after all is where they're quite likely to be being read). They are much less clear than the previous incarnation, and the text and headings are very closely spaced which looks amateurish. And the promotional blurb about the Linbury is difficult to read wherever you are. Light grey text against white background? Not sensible.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Well, good for you BBB; I can manage it too :) But, in fairness, we are both very familiar with the names on the sheets and people around me at the rehearsal and the opening night of the triple bill were struggling (loudly) to work things out.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2018 at 21:09, bangorballetboy said:

Nice. Don’t mind me, I’m just an elderly lady.

Edited by penelopesimpson

Glad you've got no problems! My young  cataracts affect my colour vision, so colours appear rather faded. To be fair, the ROH is not the only theatre to produce unreadable programmes.

I don't like the new cast slips either. My eyesight is fine, but these are less clear to read than the previous format. 

I enjoyed watching the front of house staff member taking the big rubbish sack across the foyer after the performance. (It felt kind of inclusive.) Such a pity she had no room in there for the first two ballets of tonight's triple bill.  

16 hours ago, Darlex said:

...Such a pity she had no room in there for the first two ballets of tonight's triple bill.  

That made me laugh out loud on the train on my way home - may have woken some of my inebriated fellow travellers.

(A harsh but not entirely unfair criticism).

Edited by Timmie

17 hours ago, Darlex said:

I don't like the new cast slips either. My eyesight is fine, but these are less clear to read than the previous format. 

I enjoyed watching the front of house staff member taking the big rubbish sack across the foyer after the performance. (It felt kind of inclusive.) Such a pity she had no room in there for the first two ballets of tonight's triple bill.  

No, Darlex.  You have been told.  It is official.  If you cannot read the Cast Sheet, you need an optician.

4 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

No, Darlex.  You have been told.  It is official.  If you cannot read the Cast Sheet, you need an optician.

EXTERMINATE! 

• 2 years later...

Spotted in the ROH's current T&Cs:

"The rollout of e-tickets offers our visitors greater flexibility and security, and is a vital step towards us meeting our environmental obligations. For the 2021/22 Season, customers who are unable to receive an e-ticket, and therefore require a paper ticket to be sent to them, will be able to do so for a charge of £2 per UK transaction, or £9.50 if international postage is required."

I just recently paid a similar charge for the December R&J at the Albert Hall. 
It was such a long way ahead I decided I wanted the ticket in my hand lol! 
Im still not use to e-tickets and end up defeating the object by printing them out at home 🙄 

My visit to the June triple is an e-ticket ....I didnt think there was a choice or at least didn’t see one. So will try to just keep this one on the phone. 
If you want the person you are going with to also have a copy of the e-ticket can you just forward your copy to them via email or do you have to ask ROH to send them one separately 🤔 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I just recently paid a similar charge for the December R&J at the Albert Hall. 
It was such a long way ahead I decided I wanted the ticket in my hand lol! 
Im still not use to e-tickets and end up defeating the object by printing them out at home 🙄 

My visit to the June triple is an e-ticket ....I didnt think there was a choice or at least didn’t see one. So will try to just keep this one on the phone. 
If you want the person you are going with to also have a copy of the e-ticket can you just forward your copy to them via email or do you have to ask ROH to send them one separately 🤔 

I forward the email of the e-tickets to the people attending.  

If I have multiple purchases on one email and different people attending different dates, then I send a screenshot of each set of e-tickets to the relevant people.  

Alternatively ... if they meet you beforehand and enter with you, then they don’t need anything.  You show the e-tickets. 😉

To state the obvious .... make sure your phone is charged!!! (I had less than 5% battery and no charger with me one time ... lesson learnt).

• Like 1

I've had the problem of arriving purposely late for a triple bill (only, say, really wanting to see the middle or last item on that particular performance's bill) and the e-ticket expiring.  They expire it seems at or very near to the the start of the performance.  Thus I wasn't able to bring it up on my phone when I arrived.  Leason learned .... If I was going to do this thereafter I always did two things first .... (i) took a screen shot of the ticket while I was able and (ii) brought a printed out copy.   (Of course, that was one thing that didn't happen with paper tickets.  They were available right through to the end of the performance.)  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, alison said:

Spotted in the ROH's current T&Cs:

"The rollout of e-tickets offers our visitors greater flexibility and security, and is a vital step towards us meeting our environmental obligations. For the 2021/22 Season, customers who are unable to receive an e-ticket, and therefore require a paper ticket to be sent to them, will be able to do so for a charge of £2 per UK transaction, or £9.50 if international postage is required."

This sounds perfect for me, perhaps this is why they haven't replied to my E-mail on the subject yet, I would be happy to pay £2 extra!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I've had the problem of arriving purposely late for a triple bill (only, say, really wanting to see the middle or last item on that particular performance's bill) and the e-ticket expiring.  They expire it seems at or very near to the the start of the performance.  Thus I wasn't able to bring it up on my phone when I arrived.  Leason learned .... If I was going to do this thereafter I always did two things first .... (i) took a screen shot of the ticket while I was able and (ii) brought a printed out copy.   (Of course, that was one thing that didn't happen with paper tickets.  They were available right through to the end of the performance.)  

Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that!  Thanks for the warning.

• Like 1

Oh don’t panic me!! 
What if you lost your phone on the way to the theatre or realised you’d left it on the charger at home 😱 ...this has happened to me already but luckily when not going to the theatre. 

As with paper tickets I was hoping that somehow they would have a record of your purchase so if you can’t show your e ticket for some reason they can see you have bought a ticket ....perhaps with a driving licence confirmation it’s you 🤔 

I always screencap my e-ticket as photos are easier to scroll through than emails when I haven’t got my glasses on.....but also on one occasion the O2 network was down on a day I went to the ROH but could still show the screencap of the e-ticket.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh don’t panic me!! 
What if you lost your phone on the way to the theatre or realised you’d left it on the charger at home 😱 ...this has happened to me already but luckily when not going to the theatre. 

Gives me an idea for the perfect birthday treat for an easily panicked ballet lover...get the e-ticket printed on to a variety of unforgettable non powered  objects at Snappy Snaps. Amaze the usher and everyone else in the queue when you present the barcode on a key ring, mug, tote bag, t-shirt or a king sized duvet cover (this one will be easy to zap from a very safe distance!!)

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 7

I print out my ticket/s, because the last thing I want when I'm going into the ROH/the auditorium is to be unlocking and fiddling with my phone to find the ticket, and having to look over my glasses because I can't read things on my phone with my glasses on, and trying to ensure that the usher can see the ticket, and then that I can see it (repeatedly, no doubt) so I can get to the right seat/s... Apart from anything else I suspect I'd end up tripping up at some stage and falling down the Amphi steps... Whereas a print-out is just there in your hand to be easily seen and consulted whenever needed. But I suppose that's just too easy isn't it? 😒

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Apart from anything else I suspect I'd end up tripping up at some stage and falling down the Amphi steps... Whereas a print-out is just there in your hand to be easily seen and consulted whenever needed. But I suppose that's just too easy isn't it? 😒

🤔 Hmmm sounds like you’d benefit from having yours printed as a photo pillow!

If you have access to a printer then it’s easy to sort out, I can print mine off at work but haven’t had a printer at home since 2005 as I soon found out that while the printer initially costs ‘middle of the amphitheatre money’ the replacement ink is more like ‘Orchestra Stalls money’ 💰 💰💰

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

...haven’t had a printer at home since 2005 as I soon found out that while the printer initially costs ‘middle of the amphitheatre money’ the replacement ink is more like ‘Orchestra Stalls money’ 💰 💰💰

Which is why I haven't had a printer in the last 10 years+ either!

I jokinly said it may be cheaper to buy a new printer each time your inks expire - true words and jest, and all that - as I don't think its that far off the mark

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

🤔 Hmmm sounds like you’d benefit from having yours printed as a photo pillow!

If you have access to a printer then it’s easy to sort out, I can print mine off at work but haven’t had a printer at home since 2005 as I soon found out that while the printer initially costs ‘middle of the amphitheatre money’ the replacement ink is more like ‘Orchestra Stalls money’ 💰 💰💰

🤣 🤣

I decided to invest in a laser printer when I stopped working a few years ago, because although a lot more expensive initially it's really quick and trouble-free, and the cartridges last absolutely ages for the amount of printing I do so don't really work out expensive in the long term. I had an ink-jet printer for a while before that but I could hardly ever use it because it was always having problems and the (still expensive) cartridges always dried up incredibly quickly.

• Like 1

🤣 harsh, but true!