RO Andrea Chenier on BBC4

alison

The BBC's Christmas treat for opera lovers this year is the Royal Opera broadcast of Andrea Chenier on next Friday (18th) from 7.30 - 9.35  http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b06sg8s6, featuring Jonas Kaufmann.

Is this the one where the singing was marvellous but the production left something to be desired, or am I thinking of something else?

My opinion is just the opposite, reasonable production but unmemorable singing with the exception of Elena Zilio who appears in a cameo role (catch her as Mama Lucia in Cav & Pag).  You need an old style 'Italian' voice for the title role, something Kaufmann doesn't have.

• Like 1

unmemorable singing with the exception of Elena Zilio who appears in a cameo role (catch her as Mama Lucia in Cav & Pag).  You need an old style 'Italian' voice for the title role, something Kaufmann doesn't have.

Completly agree MAB: you and I are of the same opinion, I just put things differently!

I completely agree too.  I love Elena Zilio, tiny little woman (and in this case also a tiny little role) but always completely unforgettable, both for her stage presence and wonderful Italian singing.

I enjoyed the production - a bit tame by my standards (I usually find McVicar a lot more interesting) - and thus far none of you have mentioned Zeljko Lucic's singing, which was one of my favourite things about it.

The BBC's Christmas treat for opera lovers this year is the Royal Opera broadcast of Andrea Chenier on next Friday (18th) from 7.30 - 9.35  http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b06sg8s6, featuring Johan Kaufmann.

Is this the one where the singing was marvellous but the production left something to be desired, or am I thinking of something else?

Alison I think you mean Jonas! :) I caught just the last 45 minutes last night. I don't know this opera and 45 minutes wasn't enough for me to judge it as a whole, but what I did hear didn't inspire me to go and watch the rest on iPlayer today. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't move me.

Sim, thanks, yes, I definitely meant Jonas!  Must either have confused him with Botha (how?) or Kobborg, I suppose :)

Now corrected.

Diverting somewhat from the original topic, I'm currently watching a 1980 Bruce Springsteen on BBC4 delivering a rather good performance of "Jungleland".  Not much in common with Kaufmann apart from the dark curly hair, though :)

• Like 2

Did you watch the new documentary on the making of The River before the concert programme Alison? It was fascinating, and so wonderful to hear Bruce playing and singing the songs just accompanying himself on guitar, sitting in his garden. Great stuff; I am going to watch it again over Christmas.

• 1 month later...

Another belated, and brief, comment, and only marginally connected to Andrea Chenier.

I just wanted to add my voice to Ruth's regarding Zelijko Luci who, for me, was the stand-out in this production. And the most compelling reason for snapping up tickets to the forthcoming Trovatore.