• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some photos from the dress rehearsal for the first night cast, who also do the cinema broadcast (Sarah Lamb & Steven McRae). An utter joy to watch.

21391175250_7928cb0d22_z.jpg
Sarah Lamb & Steven McRae
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

21588042261_483e8dcca6_z.jpg
Sarah Lamb & Steven McRae
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Royal Ballet - Romeo & Juliet
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 10

Disappointing review in The Telegraph that confirms my fears about Sarah Lamb in this role.  I will be returning my October 1 ticket.  I wish Mr. O'Hare had substituted Hayward and Cuthbertson for the sadly injured Osipova.

Great review for Alexander Campbell and Gary Avis though....

• Like 1

Yes, great fan of Campbell.  There is a wonderful Youtube piece of him tap dancing in Alice that is so appealling.  Anyone know if he and Gary Avis are in Thursdays casts?  Can one get the complete cast list online?

Gary Avis has said on Twitter that he is scheduled to be Tybalt with the McRae/Lamb cast only.

Disappointing review in The Telegraph that confirms my fears about Sarah Lamb in this role.  I will be returning my October 1 ticket.  I wish Mr. O'Hare had substituted Hayward and Cuthbertson for the sadly injured Osipova.

I for one, love Sarah Lamb in this role, so happy at extra shows.

• Like 2

I for one, love Sarah Lamb in this role, so happy at extra shows.

Me too re: Sarah Lamb. Wish I had a ticket now but I can only afford one visit and I chose the Viscera bill. I am skiving off work tomorrow though to see R&J at the local fleapit.  :) Lovely pics as always!!

Edited by Jacqueline

Wish I had a ticket now but I can only afford one visit and I chose the Viscera bill. I am skiving off work tomorrow though to see R&J at the local fleapit. 

Don't forget the various big-screen screenings, too, folks.  Hoping the weather will be reasonable ...

I thought Lamb, especially in act 3, was stunning, amongst the best readings of Juliet I've seen, (and I'm pretty picky). I am a total convert and would LOVE to see her with Muntagirov - lucky him to make his debut with such a super ballerina and actor. :-)

A really great cinema screening - thought I was R&J'ed out after too many viewings over the years, but I guess not! The co-presenter Ore was excellent I thought, really good to have someone to take the pressure off Darcey and give her someone to bounce off.

• Like 11

Terrific indeed-5 stars well deserved.

When it comes to acting, really, it doesn't get much better. Gary Avis in particular was outstanding but all the cast were, I thought, at their best tonight and a very moving, as well as technically excellent performance from McRae and Lamb. Alexander Campbell was another highlight.To top it all the cinema audience were absolutely silent, and the worst disturbance was caused by me fumbling for a hanky , so moving was the whole evening.

The only disappointment was the introduction and etc but draw a veil over that.

• Like 6

I didn't have such a silent screening. The two elderly lady sitting near me exclaimed very loudly during the tomb scene, "OH! I THOUGHT HE STABBED HIMSELF WITH A DAGGER!" "NO THAT'S JULIET. ROMEO DRINKS POISON!" "OH YES I REMEMBER NOW! VERY SAD!" I had to laugh.

• Like 5

just back from my local Vue - what a stunning show. We could hear every note of the orchestra (though this not to the advantage of some of the wince inducing brass players) the sound was wonderful. Really getting to enjoy the way Koen Kessels conducts, he makes the music so alive. Pictures were good, and most close-ups added to the atmosphere, though inevitably some seemed a bit mistimed. Thought the leads spectacular - Steven McRae fizzled, and tore up the stage with his speed in the crowd scenes, and his youthful ardour in the love pdds. Sarah Lamb was divine - thrillingly elegant with her beautiful line. The 'decision' moment where she sat unblinkingly motionless as the music swirled all around her, was goosebump inducing - and yes, the crypt scene induced a silent tear trickle down each cheek. Made me a Lamb fan all over again (so I must be a double fan now then). Whole cast was great - but don't think anyone enjoyed themselves quite as much as Olivia Cowley as one of the Harlots.

Thought I'd been R&J'd out I've seen it so many times over the last few years - but this performance revitalised it for me, I can't deny. Wish I'd bought more tickets now...

• Like 9

I thought Sarah Lamb was just perfect, certainly not too sophisticated as Juliet, just very youthful and moving. I can't really warm to Steven McRae but I will concede that he played Romeo very well and of course his dancing was superb. And a shout out for Alexander Campbell and Gary Avis - both excellent.

Really looking forward to seeing Lamb with Muntagirov next week - of course I wasn't anticipating seeing her twice, but I have no problem with that! And can't wait to see Vadim as Romeo again.

• Like 4

I agree with everything Dave said! (Hubby and I also mentioned the brass section - well, one trumpet probably)

It wasn't necessarily a cast I would've gone out of my way to see, but I'm so glad I did. Wonderful acting, beautiful dancing. Only disappointment for me was Paris - can't have everything I suppose ;-)

• Like 2

Well, I'm afraid I bailed at the second interval: you know it must be pretty bad when you get onto the tube platform and are grateful to be in the warm.  I've been home 90 minutes and still haven't warmed up, but I decided that since Act III is mainly Juliet and I now have several opportunities yet to see Lamb in the role I could give it a miss.  Please, ROH, could we try to get our next ballet big screen in the summer?!

I trust this one isn't going to DVD?  It may have shown up well on big screens, but to my mind the director seemed way too enamoured with the scenery, and there was a shortage of, well, not close-ups, but reasonably close shots, so we seemed to get a lot of stage-wide shots, not only during the townspeople/ballroom scenes, but even during the balcony scene.  On a domestic TV screen, the dancers would probably be only a couple of inches high.