Gardening News

taxi4ballet

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tescos were selling gorgeous hanging baskets for £5 last week. My friend's husband said that the garden centres/supermarkets were overstocked because the bad weather we had been having meant no-one was buying anything.

Our weeds are looking glorious!

• Like 1

I wanted to plant a crepe myrtle tree but the nurseries didn't have any (it was the wrong season of the year). So, with the permission of my neighbor I snapped off a tiny twig - about two inches and the circumference of a thin #3 knitting needle - off her dormant tree. It was a totally dead looking twig. Everyone said there was no way it would root. But, somehow, I had a feeling about it. So, I stuck this sliver of wood in a pot of ordinary soil and covered it with a glass jar and put it on a patio table where it would half day of sunshine.

About three months later, I saw a lighter brownish dot on the side of the twig. Then, the tiniest bit of green on the dot. Then a tiny leave unfolded. It is now about fives inches high - has several leaves.

A true miracle!

• Like 6

Went down the bottom of the garden this morning to discover my asparagus is now 5 feet tall!

Taxi, my mind is boggling as to why you had to go down the bottom of the garden to *see* that it was that tall! Is your garden even more of a jungle than mine?

Taxi, my mind is boggling as to why you had to go down the bottom of the garden to *see* that it was that tall! Is your garden even more of a jungle than mine?

It's just a small patch of asparagus stuck in a corner behind a bush - by the way it's grown another 6 inches since yesterday!

Yes, I think my asparagus can safely be described as having bolted! It's only a tiny patch so we never get enough to make it worthwhile cutting.

Left to grow, it turns into beautiful tall ferny fronds and looks lovely. It does grow really quickly, at least 6 inches a day.

I vaguely remember something on a gardening programme once (or it might have been QI) that rhubarb grows so quickly that you can actually hear it creaking and rustling.., weird :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out here on the Herts/Essex frontier, our place lies at the end of a lengthy but gradual slope, the surface of which must be super-saturated as we have moats around various flower beds at the moment. I'm used to that now in January or February - but on 13th June? And like the asparagus, anything with a soft stem is growing at an alarming rate.

• Like 1

It's been so wet I can't plant out any of the plants I have bough yet!

Same here (West London). The geraniums, petunias, salvias etc which I bought at the end of April thinking I cold put them in the pots then are still languishing in their plastic pots, some of them half-demolished by the slugs (so look on the bright side, everyone - at least it's a great year for the slugs...).

I think my omelette tomorrow might have some young spinach from my garden in it - grown in a trough (the spinach, not the omelette) which has copper tape round it and is standing on sharp stones. That worked last year as protection from those dastardly slugs and snails, and seems to have carried on to work this year as well.

I remember one evening I could actually hear the slugs and snails chewing on the crisp leaves of my hibiscus plants!

I did two things -spread around snail/slug bait and hand (in gloves) picked them off. That kept them at bay.

Googling "organic snail bait/killer" brings up lots of info.

I had a voucher for some free plants at Homebase recently. I really fancied the African Marigolds, until I read the label and it said that slugs were extremely fond of them! They've already been very "fond" of a selection of pinks I bought earlier in the year.

The only trouble with "rubbish beer" traps is that when it's raining frequently all that happens is that the rain falls into the traps and either displaces and/or dilutes the beer. Otherwise I'd have them all over the garden by now.

• Like 1

The only thing for it is a dark wet evening, rubber gloves, a torch and a bucket (just don't let the neighbours see you)!

It didn't need to be dark: I've never seen such clusters of snails - and slugs - as I saw last night!

• Like 2

I wronged the slugs :( I have found scads of snails instead. I have only seen one slug and it went with snails, straight into my wheely bin! They can eat the weeds!

Edited by Fiz

If you open the lid of your wheely bin, you will find the whole lot has migrated to the inside of the lid...

My next-door neighbour ties them into economy nappy sacks so they can't escape.

Can't help wondering whether we're getting fixated on mollusc slaughter :blink:

• Like 1