Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any advice or knowledge on the year 7 audition?

Yes I do :-) My DD auditioned last year at RBS, Elmhurst and Tring and is now at one of the schools :-)

What would you like to know? Please PM me if you like.

Generally it always is a ballet class with barre exercises, centre work, flexibility check.

Don't worry to much about flexibility - there are some children in my DD class who can't do all 3 splits. They also look at children feet, check their musicality etc.

Tell your child to just enjoy the experience and to smile. I may try and tell you to relax but if you are anything like I was last year - you won't relax anyway. As others said before - we parents worry much more then our children!

Mumofaboy, yes to shorts for Elmhurst audition .YR7 AND 8 still wear trunks at Elmhurst. They will want to be able to see his bare legs. WL yr7 boys also wear trunks.  Year 7 teacher in WL even drew lines on the back of their legs . Remind your son about posture, even when lining up. I used to sell pta bits at WL auditions and it was interesting to see how long the teachers stared at the line before walking them into the audition.

Remember his hair. They like short off the collar ,well styled hair for the boys. Short hair at the back will make your son's neck appear longer. Clean white socks and ballet shoes. Remind your son to listen to every thing the teacher says. They are looking for boys who really want to be there, and who will give 100%. Behaviour and manners are also noted. GOOD LUCK!!! Elmhurst is a lovely place. My son loves it.

• Like 3

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading all the threads so far.

My DS has his Elmhurst audition next week on November 3rd and was wondering if he should wear shorts or tights? He is auditioning for year 7. Do they have a preference? Any advice appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum,Mumofaboy.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading all the threads so far.

My DS has his Elmhurst audition next week on November 3rd and was wondering if he should wear shorts or tights? He is auditioning for year 7. Do they have a preference? Any advice appreciated!

Hello Mumofaboy and welcome to the Forum!  Please let us know how your son gets on.

• Like 1

To be honest they want the child to be as comfortable as possible and show themselves at their best - so if your son usually wears tights and is uncomfortable in shorts that's fine too !

Our son is also very happy at Elm

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 1

Sorry to jump into the thread. DD has applied to mid associates and also ticked box for white lodge, do all applicants get an audition or will they select the ones they want to see from photos? They have taken the audition fee from my bank but not had an audition date through.

As far as I know everyone gets an audition. Bear in mind the closing date for applications is Friday so I am not surprised they haven't sent audition confirmations yet.

The audition dates are on the website.

We were at Elmhurst today too. Seemed like a lovely school but the competition looked very tough so I am not going to hold my breath for my ds. He definitely looked less polished than most.

There are so many variables, though. It seems to me that it is virtually impossible for an outsider to guess how the panel will decide who to take forward to the next stage.

My son was in the same audition class as yours. I wasn't there so have no idea how it went but he had a good time, had a(nother) day off school(!) and if they want to see him again then great - if not, then so be it.

• Like 2

We were at Elmhurst today too. Seemed like a lovely school but the competition looked very tough so I am not going to hold my breath for my ds. He definitely looked less polished than most.

Less polished could be good! At this age schools are looking for the raw material that they can train their way, not a finished, polished product. It's much easier to train a student from scratch than retraining a student who already has a style that may be incompatible with the school.

• Like 3

We were also there at 11.15 it was really interesting to see the competition at the end of the audition. My son still has a lot of work to do before he is polished. I thought all of them looked amazing! I was so nervous looking at the panel watching them.

Elmhurst is amazing and the kids who go there are very lucky to be at a wonderful place like that!

Good luck to everyone! Fingers crossed, I'm dreading the letter arriving.

• Like 1

They were all brilliant. It is quite scary! No feedback really. Everyone was really friendly. The teacher was my ds' associates teacher and he said she was much nicer than when she takes their classes so they are obviously trying to keep the children at ease. He has only been doing ballet since January but he said he knew how to do everything so it can only have been fairly basic stuff. He said they did stretching at the start but that is about as much as I got out of him!