Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

Sorry if someone's already covered this -  it's not up on amazon yet but I've only just seen it. Scheduled for release on 10th February by Bel Air Classiques is Denis Sneguirev's documentary “Yuri Grigorovich: The Golden Age - The Life And Art Of The Bolshoi’s Controversial Choreographe” – “includes several extracts of Grigorovitch's ballets, set in context with the history of Soviet Ballet and with history in general”.

Worth a watch?

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I emailed the Royal Opera House shop on unrelated business and thought I would drop in a reminder about the demand for a DVD release of the Nunez/Muntagirov Giselle. To my surprise, they replied saying that a DVD of this performance is scheduled for release March 2017.

This may already be common knowledge, but as a long time lurker on this forum I know how much some here have wanted a DVD and thought I would use my first post to share my excitement! I guess people power does work sometimes.

They also said that Anastasia will be released next year, but no release date yet.

I missed this discussion at the time, though am very pleased to hear this news.  I wonder whether they have any backup footage of the start of Act 2 which will enable them to correct Hikaru Kobayashi's "wardrobe malfunction" (I watched the performance live in the house, and the back of her skirt got hooked up on her wings early in her solo and remained there until she left the stage...)

I missed this discussion at the time, though am very pleased to hear this news.  I wonder whether they have any backup footage of the start of Act 2 which will enable them to correct Hikaru Kobayashi's "wardrobe malfunction" (I watched the performance live in the house, and the back of her skirt got hooked up on her wings early in her solo and remained there until she left the stage...)

Wasn't it Itziar Mendizabal....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Giselle DVD is now on the ROH website for pre-order - out 3rd March.

http://www.roh.org.uk/products/giselle-dvd-the-royal-ballet-2016

I couldn't see a Blu-ray option though.

Have pre-ordered mine .

This is great! It really seems as if all the pleading on the ROH website and all the writing in to Kevin O'Hare has yielded the 'right' outcome. Yippee  :D

• Like 1

I missed the cinema broadcast, but I suspect the reason the DVD isn't on Amazon.uk is that it's only available in a Region 4 version. The same apparently applies to the Australian ballet's version of The Nutcracker, which it shares with BRB.

That's odd because I thought Australia had a rule that DVDs had to be Region-free. I missed the cinema relay and really would like to see this ballet.

Had a tweet from the RB this evening to say that Giselle with Nuñez and Muntagirov is now available to pre-order: http://www.roh.org.uk/products/giselle-blu-ray-the-royal-ballet-2016

Very pleased to hear this, (and it will go on my birthday list) BUT this will make three RB recordings of Giselle available on DVD/Blu ray since 2006 - and still the only vaguely recent version of Manon is the one with Rojo and Acosta in 2008.

I bought the Australian Ballet's version if Sir Peter Wright Nutcracker which I played on my region free DVD player. It plays fine, but in black and white. To be fair to the vendor they did specify you needed both a DVD player and a TV which is compatible with the Australian system.

I will wait a long time before I buy another Australian DVD.

Edited by Two Pigeons

I bought the Australian Ballet's version if Sir Peter Wright Nutcracker which I played on my region free DVD player. It plays fine, but in black and white. To be fair to the vendor they did specify you needed both a DVD player and a TV which is compatible with the Australian system.

I will wait a long time before I buy another Australian DVD.

That’s very strange.  That’s what used to happen when NTSC DVDs were played on old UK televisions. Does this apply to you? i.e. Have they sent you a DVD which is NTSC rather than PAL?  I’d be surprised if they sold DVDs in both formats but I suppose it’s possible.  My copy is in the PAL format, is region free and plays perfectly and in colour on my non-region-free DVD player.

That’s very strange.  That’s what used to happen when NTSC DVDs were played on old UK televisions. Does this apply to you? i.e. Have they sent you a DVD which is NTSC rather than PAL?  I’d be surprised if they sold DVDs in both formats but I suppose it’s possible.  My copy is in the PAL format, is region free and plays perfectly and in colour on my non-region-free DVD player.

Thank you very much for this bluebird, you gave me hope. I tried again on my newer telly and the DVD works perfectly. I am so glad I didn't just give up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On March 10th C-Major are releasing a Blu Ray and DVD of Helgi Tomasson's Romeo and Juliet with Maria Kochetkova and Davit Karapetyan dancing the leads.  It is available for pre-order on Amazon.  Has anyone seen the Tomasson production and have a view on it?

It sounds as if the RB is timing the release of its new Sleeping Beauty DVD with the Petipa bicentenary if it is going to be released in 2018.This makes some sense as it is one of the few "Petipa" ballets in the standard repertory with a choreographic text much of  which is actually by Petipa.By contrast Swan Lake which is for many the archetypal ballet in its current form contains far more of Ivanov's choreography than it does Petipa's.

I was going to say that I assume that the company had decided that the delay in releasing the DVD will not have any adverse impact on sales but on reflection I have to say that they do not appear to be that business like when it comes to such matters. After all they did not release the televised performance of Bussell's farewell performance and they took an inordinate amount of time to bite the bullet and issue a DVD of the mixed bill which included Acosta's Carmen although they must have known that there would be demand for it.  

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

I does seem like a long time, but 1 year appears to be about the standard lead time for RB dvds. The cinema relay for the Nunez/Muntagirov Giselle was a little less than a year ago and the dvd is officially released today (although it's been available from the ROH for a few weeks). The Two Pigeons and Frankenstein dvds also took about a year. The Anastasia dvd is scheduled for the autumn, also about a year after broadcast. I'm not entirely sure why it takes this long. Surely it doesn't take a year acquire the stock?

No news of a Woolf Works dvd yet though?

There will be a Woolf Works dvd, but there is no date yet. If I were to guess, I'd suggest it will be out about a year after broadcast...

I'd like to think it was an indication that the recordings would all actually get shown on terrestrial TV first, but possibly that's a little optimistic.  Next April would give time for a Christmas showing ...

• Like 2

It sounds as if the RB is timing the release of its new Sleeping Beauty DVD with the Petipa bicentenary if it is going to be released in 2018.This makes some sense as it is one of the few "Petipa" ballets in the standard repertory with a choreographic text much of  which is actually by Petipa.By contrast Swan Lake which is for many the archetypal ballet in its current form contains far more of Ivanov's choreography than it does Petipa's.

I was going to say that I assume that the company had decided that the delay in releasing the DVD will not have any adverse impact on sales but on reflection I have to say that they do not appear to be that business like when it comes to such matters. After all they did not release the televised performance of Bussell's farewell performance and they took an inordinate amount of time to bite the bullet and issue a DVD of the mixed bill which included Acosta's Carmen although they must have known that there would be demand for it.  

Sorry - I fell into the trap of posting this on the wrong forum: I have been told that Anastasia is scheduled for Sept but that Nutcracker - I assume the cinema relay from Xmas 2016 - will not be released till Xmas 2018!

And I am still cross that the televised performance of Darcey Bussell's farewell perfomance was not released!!!!!

Edited by David
  • Like 1

It is the performance which was shown in UK cinemas a while ago.  I don't think it's ever been shown on UK television.

• Like 1

I wanted to buy the Cuthbertson Beauty dvd and I can't find it anywhere! I've seen the Cojocaru and Durante but the Cuthbertson seems to have disappeared from online shops, including the ROH. Anyone know why this might be?

Despite the fact that it has been shown on Sky Arts on a number of occasions, it was never, as far as I'm aware, released as a DVD.

Edited to add: Perhaps I'm wrong about this. Has anyone else come across a DVD of this performance?

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1